U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 11:28 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,601,384 times

Advertisements

https://www.wxxv25.com/ocean-aero-mo...GT7IGiM0rQyoL0

Good news, just the type of jobs needed. Gulfport-Biloxi Metro has a lot going on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 01:15 PM

2,425 posts, read 4,057,227 times
No one willingly moves from San Diego to Biloxi, without a really good reason. What's the real story? Certainly few if any current employees will move with the company, so what's the end game? Are they going to find the technical skills they need in mississippi, while paying Mississippi salaries?

Old 08-19-2021, 01:56 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,601,384 times
They probably want to get out of California for the same reason all the rest of their exodus does - high COL, taxes, draconian restrictions, environmental idiocy, etc. And they've found a good waterfront city for what they do. Gulfport will attract talented workers.

It's not hard to imagine, if you try.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:26 PM

22,950 posts, read 14,289,251 times
They employ 45 people. Probably pretty good jobs, but the naval architects and marine engineers will move with the company. Pascagoula trains the welders and the rest of the shipbuilding skills, so they won't have any trouble finding what they need.

Anyone moving from San Diego will feel like he struck it rich - especially if he sold a house there to buy one here. I lived there in the early 70's; I won't be moving back. Unions have an iron grip on Southern California.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:10 PM

Maybe they have 45 people just like you guys, but it seems unlikely they would have been in San Diego in the first place.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Maybe they have 45 people just like you guys, but it seems unlikely they would have been in San Diego in the first place.
My bet is they are only taking about 5 people with them. Maybe less. I have worked for small companies and my experience is, they move because 2 or 3 people decide that is what they want to do.
The cost of real estate alone would drive some companies out. I can only imagine the cost of ocean-access commercial property on the west coast.
Whatever.. They're moving, and it's a good thing. Maybe the owner has relatives here; could be as simple as that.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:22 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,805,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
No one willingly moves from San Diego to Biloxi, without a really good reason. What's the real story? Certainly few if any current employees will move with the company, so what's the end game? Are they going to find the technical skills they need in mississippi, while paying Mississippi salaries?
Absolutely wrong. People are moving out of California left and right. Selling a home in San Diego and moving to MS would be like winning the lottery. They'll get a rude wake-up call when they realize that 100°F with 90% humidity is far worse than 115°F with 30% humidity, but that's what air conditioning is for.

My company has offices in San Diego and Pomona (east of LA), and we seriously struggle with staffing them. A guy who works for one of our clients contacted me, asking if we were hiring. Heck yeah, when can you start? The problem is that I need him to move across the street and run my group in our office, but he wants out of the state.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:19 PM

Amazingly enough, the salary for shipyard welders are about the same in Mississippi and California.
Mississippi; $39,172. California: $40,367. I 'bout fell over dead when I saw that. There is no way to even buy a house in California off that salary. It would be a little tough in Biloxi, but at least you can get by. As a result, I am guessing there are few shipyard welders left in California.

Marine engineers make 103,000 in MS and 127,000 in CA.

Old 08-20-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Amazingly enough, the salary for shipyard welders are about the same in Mississippi and California.
Mississippi; $39,172. California: $40,367. I 'bout fell over dead when I saw that. There is no way to even buy a house in California off that salary. It would be a little tough in Biloxi, but at least you can get by. As a result, I am guessing there are few shipyard welders left in California.

Marine engineers make 103,000 in MS and 127,000 in CA.
The welder salary is disappointing for either state. Is that for trainees or fresh out of tech school? Either way, finding welders in MS should be possible.

Marine engineers? Good luck!

Old 08-21-2021, 07:15 PM

423 posts, read 329,358 times
This article in link below is from 2016 and shows talks between Mississippi leaders and Ocean Aero starting back then, targeting a location in Hancock County.

I know in the case of Edelbrock Corporation, they moved their headquarters from L.A. to Olive Branch in part because they could not compete on salaries with aerospace companies in L.A. like SpaceX and thus could not find workers. They had already merged with an auto-parts company based in the Memphis area and made the decision to move to Olive Branch. I think in their case being near Fed Ex might have helped with distribution as well possibly.

In the case of Ocean Aero, I would wonder if they're having the same problem being able to find workers in California at a price they can afford. Also, you have to wonder about California regulators and how they have been effected by them. Obviously Mississippi has shipbuilding and rocket testing workers, presumably at more competitive salaries, plus lower site costs and friendlier government regulators.

https://www.wlox.com/story/31347173/...to-hancock-co/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi