Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2021, 11:02 AM

107 posts, read 100,975 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate any insight that you can offer. We are moving from Ga, looking for a nice, safe community to buy a home.
The home prices in Byram seem reasonable. What can you tell me about living in Byram?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 08:43 PM

1,288 posts, read 1,850,178 times
Byram is essentially South Jackson. The current administration keeps the law and order, but Jackson is next door. I know the mayor and he is concerned for the future of the city. He's an older man and I'm not sure how much longer he will be in charge. When a new mayor comes to power, we just don't know what will happen. So Byram is iffy, it's Hinds County, so that will always be against it. Personally I wouldn't buy a house there to be my primary residence, but I'd live there over 95% of Jxn.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:09 AM

Well, it seems like Hinds county should be the border for where to look.
I was hoping Byram was rural enough to be safer than Jackson.
We are also looking in Terry and Canton.

Would you mind commenting on these areas. I cannot thank you enough for your time and consideration. This is such a huge decision for us.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Byram is essentially South Jackson. The current administration keeps the law and order, but Jackson is next door. I know the mayor and he is concerned for the future of the city. He's an older man and I'm not sure how much longer he will be in charge. When a new mayor comes to power, we just don't know what will happen. So Byram is iffy, it's Hinds County, so that will always be against it. Personally I wouldn't buy a house there to be my primary residence, but I'd live there over 95% of Jxn.
Thank you.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:03 PM

1,288 posts, read 1,850,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga2Ms View Post
Well, it seems like Hinds county should be the border for where to look.
I was hoping Byram was rural enough to be safer than Jackson.
We are also looking in Terry and Canton.

Would you mind commenting on these areas. I cannot thank you enough for your time and consideration. This is such a huge decision for us.
Don't know enough about Terry to comment, but it is still in Hinds County and you'd be further away from the more desirable shopping/entertainment areas (Flowood, Madison/Ridgeland).

There are good and bad areas in Canton, in some areas property crime can be an issue. The Country Club area of Canton is fine. Canton addresses outside the city limits are usually going to be good, Deerfield is a nice Golf Course Neighborhood with a Canton address.

Old 12-01-2021, 01:46 AM

563 posts, read 533,083 times
Byram is extremely safe statistically. Violent crime is rare. The city is roughly half white and half black residents and primarily middle class.

Virtually all of the Jackson suburbs are extremely safe, including Clinton, Flora, Madison, Gluckstadt, Ridgeland, Flowood, Pearl, Florence, and Brandon.

The city of Canton is not really a suburb and not as safe. However, neighboring areas (Gluckstadt, Livingston, Flora, Madison) are crime free.

If you're interested in Byram, I would imagine that Florence would be similar, but across the river in Rankin County and crime free.

To me, if you're looking for a true small-town atmosphere that is safe and affordable, besides Byram I would probably look at Brandon and Clinton (which are each about 25,000 people), or Florence and Flora (which are about 4,000 and 2,000 people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi