U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 08:27 PM

14,342 posts, read 13,539,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Would you prefer the word "death" instead of execution?
An embryo isn't really alive, in the same way that your appendix isn't really alive. If you have your appendix removed, would you be upset at "executing" it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 10:47 PM

98,555 posts, read 96,995,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If Roe vs Wade is overturned as requested by Mississippi, I think we can look for a wave of promises of retribution. None of them will mean much. We saw the same thing back when Mississippi decided to make its own way with regard to who must serve gay people and who may decline. Promises of retribution were quickly forgotten.

Mississippi would probably quickly close its one remaining abortion clinic and make its own laws guiding the how-when-where of abortion. Information regarding abortion pills, plan B pills, and birth control procedures will quickly become more common and nothing will change in Mississippi.
Personally, I think the young women of Mississippi will be better served if the above mentioned services and devices were better advertised and offered.
Mississippi's Indian tribe could open a clinic. They're not subject to state law or policy. Tribes in other states have vowed to do so, if the states where they're located ban abortion.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:22 AM

8,551 posts, read 4,821,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
An embryo isn't really alive, in the same way that your appendix isn't really alive. If you have your appendix removed, would you be upset at "executing" it?
Things that are not alive generally do not grow and/or develop.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:09 PM

2,688 posts, read 1,674,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Mississippi's Indian tribe could open a clinic. They're not subject to state law or policy. Tribes in other states have vowed to do so, if the states where they're located ban abortion.
I don’t think they would. The Choctaws are pretty conservative Christians.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:07 PM

10,982 posts, read 5,796,578 times
Quote:
The DNA in my appendix is identifiable to me.

An embryo has its own DNA unique even from the mother.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:11 PM

22,943 posts, read 14,284,314 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Things that are not alive generally do not grow and/or develop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The DNA in my appendix is identifiable to me.

An embryo has its own DNA unique even from the mother.
All true and all good arguments.
DNA is only a chemical fingerprint and exists long after - and long before - life connects it to a human. I can find DNA on an ancient bone, but the life associated with it is nowhere in sight.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:40 PM

2,175 posts, read 1,388,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
All true and all good arguments.
DNA is only a chemical fingerprint and exists long after - and long before - life connects it to a human. I can find DNA on an ancient bone, but the life associated with it is nowhere in sight.
The DNA is different in some areas, but one thing shows the separation from the Mother, so not a part like an appendix clearly exists.

The blood is the father's not the mother's. The baby is a unique being.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:51 PM

22,943 posts, read 14,284,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
The DNA is different in some areas, but one thing shows the separation from the Mother, so not a part like an appendix clearly exists.

The blood is the father's not the mother's. The baby is a unique being.
But not until a certain point.
The emryo has its own DNA, but so do our long decayed remnants after we are dead. So the presence of a DNA signature, in itself, should not be used as a test for the presence of life.
The conversation should center around when abortion should no longer be an option. We shouldn't let the true zealots - those who say, NEVER and those who say, ON DEMAND - dominate the conversation.

I'm good with almost all options except ON DEMAND, PRE-BIRTH. That's too far for me.
Most of all I want Mississippians to make Mississippi law.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:02 AM

8,198 posts, read 2,546,754 times
God bless Mississippi!

Old 06-24-2022, 12:20 PM

98,555 posts, read 96,995,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
What part was confusing about what I said? If you want me to get political in my response, I can. Like I said - I'm fine with the parasites of society choosing to kill their would-be children all because they don't want to take responsibility for their decisions in life.
What about doctors' or lawyers' wives, senators' or oil company CEOs' daughters, etc.? OK with those choosing to kill their zygotes, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi