U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 01:38 PM

36,039 posts, read 39,745,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think it makes perfect sense.
Up to a certain point but when it comes to LIFE things are not cut and dried. Religion aside, it's a very controversial issue and a ruling from a court 50 years ago clearly didn't change that. "My body my choice" is just an offshoot of "I do what I want, when I want, where I want" and while some people do support that idea most people don't because society wouldn't survive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 02:17 PM

22,958 posts, read 14,298,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Up to a certain point but when it comes to LIFE things are not cut and dried. Religion aside, it's a very controversial issue and a ruling from a court 50 years ago clearly didn't change that. "My body my choice" is just an offshoot of "I do what I want, when I want, where I want" and while some people do support that idea most people don't because society wouldn't survive.
The problem with "my body, my choice", is, exactly when it is no longer "my body, my choice" but becomes "someone else's body, no longer my choice".
So "My body, my choice" clearly has an expiration date. The debate should be when that date occurs. I think the morning after is a good start. It prevents 95% of pregnancies and is available everywhere without prescription. Cost $49.95.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:57 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,217,173 times
Considering that Mississippi is a state where private schools are a must, I'm incredulous that lawmakers think that pandering to the Hateful Right is going to win them votes. (possibly, though, that's not what all this posturing is about. Possibly, Governor Sundayschoolteacher, and the rest of the quislings, are doing what Republicans have been instructed to do: STOP THE RED WAVE - stop winning elections)

Mississippians limit the size of their families, to the number of children they can send to private schools. Young men who cannot envision making the kind of money it takes, to pay for private Pre-K through College, get themselves sterilized (if they're stuck in Mississippi). Or, if they're bisexual, they wisely avoid dating and marriage, and play for the team that's free of predatory females looking for babydaddies to enslave with Child Support. That's a huge thing, in Mississippi (men feel safe confiding in me, and plenty regret NOT switching teams, before it was too late). Later, those guys who DID switch in time, join the throngs of people leaving the state, when it becomes apparent that single gentlemen do better, professionally and socially, in far-distant parts of the nation. More Brain Drain...

An extra child, can mean the difference between sending the kids to a private school for and by neurotic and marginalized segments of society, or sending them to one populated and run by the smart and privileged. An extra child can be a life-ruining thing - both for parents and for the siblings of the extra child. The extra child won't be doing so great, either. After all, he'll be part of a cash-strapped family, whose prospects have been reduced.

To put it in Delta terms, an extra child is the difference between sending the kids to "The Christian School", and sending them to 'The Washington School'.

Even more horrific to contemplate, is that excess offspring can mean having to send the kids to public schools. That's survivable, if you're in Madison. We lucked-up, in that regard, and reached Critical Mass, financially, because of the money we were able to invest, rather than spend on having the kids finish at Saint Andrew's. But most people don't live in Madison. And things are not as golden as they were, when our kids were there. It's not "90210", anymore - school-wise, at least.

Yes, Middle Class people can still go to other states, for procedures. And Upper Middle Class folk (including the wives and daughters of the righteous posturing politicos) will still have their doctors quietly take care of things. After all, who's going to arrange for Senate Page positions for the doc's kids, and who's going to write those glowing law school recommendations, if not those well-placed friends for whom one does favors?

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-12-2022 at 09:14 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 10:10 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,888,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Considering that Mississippi is a state where private schools are a must, I'm incredulous that lawmakers think that pandering to the Hateful Right is going to win them votes. (possibly, though, that's not what all this posturing is about. Possibly, Governor Sundayschoolteacher, and the rest of the quislings, are doing what Republicans have been instructed to do: STOP THE RED WAVE - stop winning elections)

Mississippians limit the size of their families, to the number of children they can send to private schools. Young men who cannot envision making the kind of money it takes, to pay for private Pre-K through College, get themselves sterilized (if they're stuck in Mississippi). Or, if they're bisexual, they wisely avoid dating and marriage, and play for the team that's free of predatory females looking for babydaddies to enslave with Child Support. That's a huge thing, in Mississippi (men feel safe confiding in me, and plenty regret NOT switching teams, before it was too late). Later, those guys who DID switch in time, join the throngs of people leaving the state, when it becomes apparent that single gentlemen do better, professionally and socially, in far-distant parts of the nation. More Brain Drain...

An extra child, can mean the difference between sending the kids to a private school for and by neurotic and marginalized segments of society, or sending them to one populated and run by the smart and privileged. An extra child can be a life-ruining thing - both for parents and for the siblings of the extra child. The extra child won't be doing so great, either. After all, he'll be part of a cash-strapped family, whose prospects have been reduced.

To put it in Delta terms, an extra child is the difference between sending the kids to "The Christian School", and sending them to 'The Washington School'.

Even more horrific to contemplate, is that excess offspring can mean having to send the kids to public schools. That's survivable, if you're in Madison. We lucked-up, in that regard, and reached Critical Mass, financially, because of the money we were able to invest, rather than spend on having the kids finish at Saint Andrew's. But most people don't live in Madison. And things are not as golden as they were, when our kids were there. It's not "90210", anymore - school-wise, at least.

Yes, Middle Class people can still go to other states, for procedures. And Upper Middle Class folk (including the wives and daughters of the righteous posturing politicos) will still have their doctors quietly take care of things. After all, who's going to arrange for Senate Page positions for the doc's kids, and who's going to write those glowing law school recommendations, if not those well-placed friends for whom one does favors?
That's hilarious. It's one of the funniest things I've read on C-D Forum, if not the funniest. Thanks for posting it. It gave me a good laugh.

Grandview Gloria, You never do disappoint.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:42 AM

2,994 posts, read 4,807,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The problem with "my body, my choice", is, exactly when it is no longer "my body, my choice" but becomes "someone else's body, no longer my choice".
So "My body, my choice" clearly has an expiration date. The debate should be when that date occurs. I think the morning after is a good start. It prevents 95% of pregnancies and is available everywhere without prescription. Cost $49.95.
This is exactly the debate we should be having. The vast majority of people, even in Mississippi, believe in "choice" to a point, but when is that point? With the recent SCOTUS decision, that decision will be state-by-state, so Mississippi will have to set that point.

The answer lies somewhere on the spectrum of time starting with a single cell floating freely in a woman's body and ending when the baby takes its first breath. At some point the new life is awarded the full benefits and rights of being human. Before that point it should be a woman's "personal choice". After that point, it isn't "personal choice" because now two people are involved.

Extremists (currently passing laws in Mississippi) on one end of the spectrum believe that point is conception/fertilization of the egg. The egg hasn't implanted and she isn't even pregnant yet, but that embryo has a full human soul, and nothing should interfere with it. They would outlaw your "morning-after" pill, IUDs, or any other drug or device that interfere with implantation. Their next goal is outlawing IVF. Two biproducts of IVF procedures are "unsuitable" embryos that are simply discarded (i.e., "murdered" in the eyes of some), and suitable embryos that are frozen for later use them maybe never used.

Extremists on the other end believe that point is first breath. I could go on for paragraphs as to why this would be a bad idea, I don't think I need to do that for this audience.

The SCOTUS Roe v Wade decision set the "point" to the same as it had been set for centuries: when the fetus "quickens" and/or is considered viable. The decision simply said that before that point it was a private matter between the woman and her doctor, and after that point individual states can regulate as they see fit.

We all know where current Mississippi politicians have set the point. But will they set it so early that it will cause voters to choose a new slate of politicians?

Old 07-13-2022, 02:15 PM

7,500 posts, read 4,572,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"My body my choice" is just an offshoot of "I do what I want, when I want, where I want"
Disagree that it is an offshoot. You are pulling at strings.

It is a woman's choice. We are able to make a decisions.

Last edited by GiGi603; 07-13-2022 at 02:43 PM..

Old 09-13-2022, 06:05 AM

4,067 posts, read 5,781,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
In the end, none of that matters. Who gets one, why they get one, what happens afterwards...

Bottom line, "My body, My choice".
Excatly, but it is the preborn's body.
Attached Thumbnails
The last abortion clinic-my-body.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi