Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 03:12 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times

Advertisements

Chip? Ha. It just annoys me when people display ignorance about how things really were in this state 200 years ago. Oh course there were free people, but that means nothing as to if they could have entered that bar too have a drink. You know darn well they could not have.
So waxing poetic about some old bar is just a complete slap in the face to the people who dared not enter it, yet were likely expected to clean it and maintain it. For free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 07:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
If you happen to overnight in Cleveland, The Cotton House has a neat rooftop bar. Check out Ground Zero (Morgan Freeman's place) in Clarksdale and Yazoo Pass for coffee. The Lofts at the Five and Dime is a great place to stay in Clarksdale, it is above Yazoo Pass. The Museum of the Delta in Greenwood has some great displays. Depending on where your meandering takes you, Mount Helena (Mont Helena — Mississippi Delta Top 40) is a neat site to see.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:38 PM

218 posts, read 155,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
A 200-year-old bar in Mississippi? Holds no appeal for me, since I would have been killed for entering it.

Hopefully OP is more self aware and doesn't make assumptions, especially about very old places and things in Mississippi. Usually it a reminder of a terrible situation for 40% of the state.
OP here, and I do appreciate your insights and input. I welcome them as I do those of all posters. I strive to be self-aware in all I do, and this trip will also serve for me to reflect on the history of Mississippi and the sacrifices of many, and I will seek out opportunities to do so. This history and these sacrifices are personally very important to me and my family.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
If you happen to overnight in Cleveland, The Cotton House has a neat rooftop bar. Check out Ground Zero (Morgan Freeman's place) in Clarksdale and Yazoo Pass for coffee. The Lofts at the Five and Dime is a great place to stay in Clarksdale, it is above Yazoo Pass. The Museum of the Delta in Greenwood has some great displays. Depending on where your meandering takes you, Mount Helena (Mont Helena — Mississippi Delta Top 40) is a neat site to see.
Thank you very much for these suggestions and recommendations. I have had Mont Helena on my itinerary, but in digesting and considering so many worthy stops, I had lost sight of certain things, including what you have shared here. Much appreciation to you!

Old 04-14-2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Let me look in my crystal ball....

Seriously it's impossible to know, and it varies by region in MS as it's a lloooong state geographically speaking. What you summarize is probably the best anyone here can say generally speaking - hot, muggy (but so is anywhere east of the 'Sip in June), chance of showers. That's it. Somewhat hotter and muggier and more chance of those afternoon thundershowers near the bottom half of the state. Less chance of tornadoes, more chance of hurricanes but that is also impossible to predict and seriously should not be a factor in your vacation planning.
Yes, with the weather, there is nothing ever completely predictable, even with a crystal ball, and your point and information are well taken. Good to know your thoughts about the issues I raised not being serious factors in my planning. That is very helpful, and I thank you for weighing in.

Old 04-15-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The OP has a great plan!
Sounds like a worthwhile adventure, going where most people ... just don't. For our trips down MS 1 we ventured off the highway and into the towns. Most of the towns are fading away, but people are friendly and sometimes curious. We always travel through towns with the windows down so we can exchange casual waves and maybe feel a little closer to what is going on. People never feel threatened by a car traveling slowly with the windows down.
Some roads lead up to the top of the levee, so that you can see the river. We took several of those roads and sometimes they simply end, but there is always room to turn around.
Restaurants can be scarce in that area, so sometimes we make do with convenience store food. Lots of the convenience stores have benches out front or on the side. It's kind of nice, we found, to make ourselves comfortable and just sit and watch. Outsiders are always noticed, so people always speak to us.
If you get a chance, OP, make all the way down to Natchez and stay a day or two. Go to the visitor center, watch the short movie and buy a ticket to a couple of the restored mansions. Also, the Presbyterian Church has a wonderful collection of old photos that is worth seeing. Enter through the side door. There is usually no one there and there is a place to contribute. Natchez Under The Hill, next to the river, has some great restaurants and bars! I drank myself stupid down there one night; everyone was friendly and wanted to talk. There is something about sitting in a 200 year old bar...... I mean, 200 years ago people were still excited about Mississippi becoming a state.
Thank you for all the encouragement, your enticing suggestions, and your experiences. It is all extremely helpful and is making a huge difference in my planning. Much appreciation to you again!

Old 04-15-2022, 02:33 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
Thank you for all the encouragement, your enticing suggestions, and your experiences. It is all extremely helpful and is making a huge difference in my planning. Much appreciation to you again!
This is worth seeing before its torn down.

https://theforgottensouth.com/missis...windsor-ruins/

Old 04-15-2022, 06:40 PM

1,861 posts, read 838,044 times
if you are on the coast, it rains everyday at 2pm till sept

Old 04-15-2022, 09:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
I know your itinerary is probably getting full, but this place is one of my favorites: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney...yterian_Church

It has recently been rehabilitated. It is not really a tourist attraction as there is nothing there but abandoned buildings. There is an old cemetary up the hill behind the church.

It is in the middle of nowhere though. It is really not maintained so it may be overgrown in July (I have only been in the spring).

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...ssissippi.html

Last edited by viverlibre; 04-15-2022 at 09:30 PM..

Old 04-15-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
This is worth seeing before its torn down.

https://theforgottensouth.com/missis...windsor-ruins/
Absolutely! It has been on my agenda, so many thanks for validating that. BTW, would you happen to know how the road to Rodney is? Too dicey to take a rental car on, i.e., is it unpaved and/or overgrown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi