Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 08:37 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
This restaurant in Clarksdale was recently featured on Restaurant Impossible:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/re...on-to-the-past

Now obviously it was because they were previously failing, but once Irvine gets a hold of it, you can generally count on some dang good food.
I ate there in 2018ish(?), very good down home food. It is the kind of place were farmers and people who work with their hands eat. The Stone Pony and Abes (BBQ) are also good options in Clarksdale.

Last edited by viverlibre; 04-23-2022 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 09:30 PM

218 posts, read 155,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
I ate there in 2018ish(?), very good down home food. It is the kind of place were farmers and people who work with their hands eat. The Stone Pony and Abes (BBQ) are also good options in Clarksdale.
You guys are great to keep supplying me with all this helpful info. It is really appreciated and, trust me, will be put to good use.

Old 04-27-2022, 09:29 AM

1,069 posts, read 745,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
Following the Blues Trail is one of my major motivators for this trip. I have run across the Shack Up Inn in my research, and it and Clarksdale are definitely on the agenda. Thanks a lot for validating me! And thank you for a few things in Clarksdale I was not aware of. Very good of you to recommend them.
You're quite welcome. I don't live far from Clarksdale and get down there as often as possible. The Shack Up Inn is a lot of fun. The last time I was there I believe my girlfriend and I were the only people in the bar speaking English besides the staff. Most of the patrons were European blues enthusiasts making the pilgrimage to Clarksdale and the Cross Roads at the intersection of Hwy 61 and Hwy 49. One group was comprised of older couples from France. They were riding coast to coast on motorcycles. The next morning we ran into them at Our Grandma's House of Pancakes. They were very nice people.

Cat Head Delta Blues & Folk Art is my go to place for Delta themed art, music and books. ZZ Top founder Billy Gibbons was very instrumental in having the Sovall Plantation cabin that Muddy Waters grew up in moved and reassembled in the Delta Blues Museum. Billy had a guitar made from a board from the cabin called it Muddywood.

Crossroads – Clarksdale, Coahoma County, Mississippi – Mississippi Blues Travellers

If you're a blues aficionado I recommend checking out Memphis volunteer radio station WEVL FM 89.9. They have an eclectic format with an emphasis on the blues. You can listen on line.

https://wevl.org/

Old 04-28-2022, 07:01 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,916 times
If you like nature, the Petrified Forest in Flora is a great experience.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
You're quite welcome. I don't live far from Clarksdale and get down there as often as possible. The Shack Up Inn is a lot of fun. The last time I was there I believe my girlfriend and I were the only people in the bar speaking English besides the staff. Most of the patrons were European blues enthusiasts making the pilgrimage to Clarksdale and the Cross Roads at the intersection of Hwy 61 and Hwy 49. One group was comprised of older couples from France. They were riding coast to coast on motorcycles. The next morning we ran into them at Our Grandma's House of Pancakes. They were very nice people.

Cat Head Delta Blues & Folk Art is my go to place for Delta themed art, music and books. ZZ Top founder Billy Gibbons was very instrumental in having the Sovall Plantation cabin that Muddy Waters grew up in moved and reassembled in the Delta Blues Museum. Billy had a guitar made from a board from the cabin called it Muddywood.

Crossroads – Clarksdale, Coahoma County, Mississippi – Mississippi Blues Travellers

If you're a blues aficionado I recommend checking out Memphis volunteer radio station WEVL FM 89.9. They have an eclectic format with an emphasis on the blues. You can listen on line.

https://wevl.org/
Really appreciate your sharing that memory of the Shack Up Inn. It looks like the kind of place that would attract cool, like-minded people. I'm looking very forward to it! Also really appreciate the tips about Cat Head and WEVL-FM and the other tidbits you've kindly shared. I'll be checking it out online ahead of my trip.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
If you like nature, the Petrified Forest in Flora is a great experience.
I'm a big nature lover. I'd never heard of a petrified forest in Mississippi, and I will add it to the list. Many thanks for broadening my horizons and making my world larger with your suggestion!

Old 04-28-2022, 11:27 PM

I must say that everyone who has replied to my OP has sure been helpful and friendly. Thank you all very much. You've been doing me a great service here, and your thoughts continue to be welcome. Y'all sure represent your state well!

Old 06-23-2022, 03:05 PM

I'm back after a wonderful journey through the Delta (and beyond) from Memphis to Natchez then back to Memphis. I knew as I always do when I set out on a trip that I would be in for a good time, would meet very good, interesting people, and that my world would grow as I learned and explored. But nothing could have fully prepared me for how much I enjoyed my wandering and how much I would gain from my ramble through Mississippi. With the help y'all gave me a few months ago by answering my questions and offering suggestions--and cautions (fire ants--fortunately didn't meet any!), my trip was a great success. I was able to incorporate a great many of everyone's ideas, and as for those that were already on my agenda, your validation of those choices was completely borne out.

In brief, in case anyone is curious, my kind of circuitous route: Memphis, Tunica, Marks, Tutwiler, Sumner, Glendora, Clarksdale. Greenville, Indianola, Money, Greenwood, Yazoo City, Bentonia. Rolling Fork, Natchez, Port Gibson, Vicksburg, Leland, Cleveland, Clarksdale. From Clarksdale it was across the river to Arkansas on the way back to Memphis. I have returned home well satisfied with warm (and not just because of the temperatures and humidity!) and powerful memories that will last a lifetime.

Thank you to all who responded before and shared their comments and input: Mississippi Alabama Line, Listener, Southern man, Viverlibre, Jackson Panther, Dd714, b29510, Desert kid, and irishcopper. It was all valuable and made a big difference. Many thanks again, and thank you, Mississippi.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:59 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
Quote:
Very, very interesting, and I thank you for this information. I am always very interested in history. And as for the bolded above, thanks for the compliment. Guilty as charged! (The research and planning of a trip is half the fun for me.)
Quote:
I'm back after a wonderful journey through the Delta (and beyond) from Memphis to Natchez then back to Memphis. I knew as I always do when I set out on a trip that I would be in for a good time, would meet very good, interesting people, and that my world would grow as I learned and explored. But nothing could have fully prepared me for how much I enjoyed my wandering and how much I would gain from my ramble through Mississippi. With the help y'all gave me a few months ago by answering my questions and offering suggestions--and cautions (fire ants--fortunately didn't meet any!), my trip was a great success. I was able to incorporate a great many of everyone's ideas, and as for those that were already on my agenda, your validation of those choices was completely borne out.

In brief, in case anyone is curious, my kind of circuitous route: Memphis, Tunica, Marks, Tutwiler, Sumner, Glendora, Clarksdale. Greenville, Indianola, Money, Greenwood, Yazoo City, Bentonia. Rolling Fork, Natchez, Port Gibson, Vicksburg, Leland, Cleveland, Clarksdale. From Clarksdale it was across the river to Arkansas on the way back to Memphis. I have returned home well satisfied with warm (and not just because of the temperatures and humidity!) and powerful memories that will last a lifetime.

Thank you to all who responded before and shared their comments and input: Mississippi Alabama Line, Listener, Southern man, Viverlibre, Jackson Panther, Dd714, b29510, Desert kid, and irishcopper. It was all valuable and made a big difference. Many thanks again, and thank you, Mississippi.
At one time , Mississippi had a welcome sign on the interstates that said” Feels like coming home”. I believe you got the feeling.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
Quote:

We need to know some of the better restaurants you visited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi