Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 11:22 PM

218 posts, read 155,671 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am considering a road trip through the Mississippi Delta starting in Memphis and am thinking of doing it in June. I'm wondering how the weather is likely to be at that time of year. Of course, nothing is completely predictable. I've checked various sources, and I find some contradiction among them. That's why I would like to see what you Mississippians have to say. If anyone could kindly weigh in on the wisdom of making a trip like this at that time of year, I will be very appreciative. I know it would be hot and muggy, and rain is always possible. What I'm mostly concerned about is the possible severity of any storms that time of year and the chances of the weather (tornadoes?) getting in the way. Would it be foolish for any reason to set my sights on June? If so, what time of year would you most recommend? Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 09:16 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
GENERALLY it will be hot. You likely won't run into tornadoes in June.

I don't know if this is backed up by data, but it SEEMS to me that it's one of the drier months of the summer, and it may be humid, but less humid than July, August, September.

It's the most pleasant summer month, but it's still summer. Definitely pool weather, and not walking around weather, unless it's early morning or late afternoon. But not downright awful and sticky like July and August.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:17 AM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
The storms that time of year are not too bad. As you noted, it will be hot and muggy.
There will be lots to see, depending on your interest. For a good look at the inner workings of The Delta, find Hwy MS-1 and follow it south. It will take you off the beaten track and you may enjoy it, but that depends on your interests.
It will not be a Disneyland adventure with "lots to do" but it is a trip I find worthwhile if you take your time.

Old 04-13-2022, 02:35 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
If I was going, I wouldn’t miss this.

https://visitmississippi.org/things-.../tamale-trail/

Old 04-13-2022, 05:48 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
I wouldn't worry too much about the weather or than the heat, humidity and mosquitoes. There's always a small chance of severe weather but that's true for most of the world.

Tell us your route and we can give you suggestions, if close to Greenwood, eat at the Crystal Grill, it's one of the best all around restaurants in the state.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:32 PM

218 posts, read 155,671 times
Thank you very much to all of you for responding so quickly and clearly. Your answers and information are already helping me, and I'm sure they'll be proving even more helpful the closer it gets to June. You have all done me a big service.

Mississippi Alabama Line, Much appreciation for what you have shared about the weather. I can steel myself for the heat and humidity and take it easy, but it's reassuring about the lesser chance of tornadoes and the humidity not being as intense as the other summer months.

Listener2307, Likewise, thank you for your comments about storms likely not being as severe in June. An no doubt there will be lots to see. In plotting my route, MS-1 has definitely caught my interest. I appreciate your validating my interest in following it; off the beaten track is where I like to go. And that it wouldn't be a Disneyland adventure makes it all the more appealing to me.

Southern man, Thank you for the link. Oh, yeah, the tamales (and all the other good eatin') have been a big part of the draw to this part of the world for me. I'm resigned to having to book a second seat on the plane to get home and looking forward to it.

Viverlibre, Many thanks. So true that there will always be risks, but if the degree of risk from severe storms is typically less in June than, say, now, that counts for quite a bit. The route I've been planning will indeed take me to Greenwood, so much obliged for the recommendation to eat at the Crystal Grill. I'm licking my chops!

Thanks for asking, my route will be from Memphis to Natchez via Clarksdale, Cleveland, Greenville, Greenwood, Yazoo City, and Vicksburg, among other towns along the way. Pretty typical, I guess, but I am planning side trips that will involve MS-1, some zigzags across the Delta, and a couple of short trips across the river into Arkansas. As this is something I've been wanting to do for some time, I think I've researched a lot, though the weather has been the big question mark. But everyone's tips and advice are always welcome and helpful. Please don't hold back!

Thanks to the tone and nature of your kind responses, I am reminded me why taking a trip in your state is something I must do as soon as possible. If everyone in MS is as kind and helpful as y'all have been here, (and I hear they are) I'm sure I'm in for a great time. Hopefully this June I'll make it at last. Many thanks again for taking the time to answer my question and offer your suggestions!

Last edited by Cabezablanca; 04-13-2022 at 11:43 PM..

Old 04-14-2022, 04:09 AM

The OP has a great plan!
Sounds like a worthwhile adventure, going where most people ... just don't. For our trips down MS 1 we ventured off the highway and into the towns. Most of the towns are fading away, but people are friendly and sometimes curious. We always travel through towns with the windows down so we can exchange casual waves and maybe feel a little closer to what is going on. People never feel threatened by a car traveling slowly with the windows down.
Some roads lead up to the top of the levee, so that you can see the river. We took several of those roads and sometimes they simply end, but there is always room to turn around.
Restaurants can be scarce in that area, so sometimes we make do with convenience store food. Lots of the convenience stores have benches out front or on the side. It's kind of nice, we found, to make ourselves comfortable and just sit and watch. Outsiders are always noticed, so people always speak to us.
If you get a chance, OP, make all the way down to Natchez and stay a day or two. Go to the visitor center, watch the short movie and buy a ticket to a couple of the restored mansions. Also, the Presbyterian Church has a wonderful collection of old photos that is worth seeing. Enter through the side door. There is usually no one there and there is a place to contribute. Natchez Under The Hill, next to the river, has some great restaurants and bars! I drank myself stupid down there one night; everyone was friendly and wanted to talk. There is something about sitting in a 200 year old bar...... I mean, 200 years ago people were still excited about Mississippi becoming a state.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:06 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There is something about sitting in a 200 year old bar...... I mean, 200 years ago people were still excited about Mississippi becoming a state.
A 200-year-old bar in Mississippi? Holds no appeal for me, since I would have been killed for entering it.

Hopefully OP is more self aware and doesn't make assumptions, especially about very old places and things in Mississippi. Usually it a reminder of a terrible situation for 40% of the state.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:15 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
Hello! I am considering a road trip through the Mississippi Delta starting in Memphis and am thinking of doing it in June. I'm wondering how the weather is likely to be at that time of year. Of course, nothing is completely predictable. I've checked various sources, and I find some contradiction among them. That's why I would like to see what you Mississippians have to say. If anyone could kindly weigh in on the wisdom of making a trip like this at that time of year, I will be very appreciative. I know it would be hot and muggy, and rain is always possible. What I'm mostly concerned about is the possible severity of any storms that time of year and the chances of the weather (tornadoes?) getting in the way. Would it be foolish for any reason to set my sights on June? If so, what time of year would you most recommend? Thank you very much!
Let me look in my crystal ball....

Seriously it's impossible to know, and it varies by region in MS as it's a lloooong state geographically speaking. What you summarize is probably the best anyone here can say generally speaking - hot, muggy (but so is anywhere east of the 'Sip in June), chance of showers. That's it. Somewhat hotter and muggier and more chance of those afternoon thundershowers near the bottom half of the state. Less chance of tornadoes, more chance of hurricanes but that is also impossible to predict and seriously should not be a factor in your vacation planning.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
A 200-year-old bar in Mississippi? Holds no appeal for me, since I would have been killed for entering it...................
That's not really true.
In 1840 Mississippi had 1,366 free blacks, most of whom lived in Natchez and other towns in southwestern counties along the Mississippi River. William Johnson was one such man. He owned several businesses many acres of farmland and had slaves himself.
Free men and women worked as farmers, barbers, hack drivers, woodcutters, carpenters, brick masons, laundresses, and cooks, and some inherited property from white fathers and relatives.

Frankly, I don't know how you get along anywhere in Mississippi, since you "would have been killed" - and several were - after entering nearly any restaurant in the state up until 1965 or so. Do you still refuse to go into movie theaters? Schools?

Probably do better without that chip on your shoulder. It would enable you to enjoy the beauty and wonders of people and life as it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi