U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2022, 06:49 PM
 
2,630 posts, read 1,587,723 times
Reputation: 2906

Advertisements

More complaints.
https://mississippitoday.org/2022/06...black-farmers/

Last edited by Suesbal; 06-29-2022 at 07:00 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2022, 09:01 PM
 
67,767 posts, read 56,575,452 times
Reputation: 20164
It tells me this. There are some people, whom, if they could find someone other than Black people to work for them, they will find someone else. Sounds like Blacks are the last preferred when it comes to hiring. That's what I get out of this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2022, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Johns Island
2,424 posts, read 4,029,796 times
Reputation: 3578
LOL!

Y'all thought they were maybe paying the Afrikaners less than Americans. Nope. All this time, the owners could have paid more to black or Hispanic workers, but chose not to. Now they have the opportunity to pay white men more, and jump at the chance.

Mississippi is always gonna Mississippi.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2022, 07:54 PM
 
Location: PNW, CPSouth, JacksonHole, Southampton
3,566 posts, read 5,175,931 times
Reputation: 14086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Well... that says everything we need to know about "Mississippi, Today": typical drivel from the usual race-baiting creeps, following the usual formula "Journalists" have been using, since what's-her-name struck it rich with 'To Kill a Mockingbird".

I didn't need to read more than one paragraph. And I won't be clicking on that site, again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2022, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,645 posts, read 1,571,579 times
Reputation: 2807
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
LOL!

Y'all thought they were maybe paying the Afrikaners less than Americans. Nope. All this time, the owners could have paid more to black or Hispanic workers, but chose not to. Now they have the opportunity to pay white men more, and jump at the chance.

Mississippi is always gonna Mississippi.
No employer chooses to pay more for an employee unless there is added value. It doesn’t work that way.

You are clueless. Those farmers care nothing about holding down anyone because of race. They care about PROFIT.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2022, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Johns Island
2,424 posts, read 4,029,796 times
Reputation: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
No employer chooses to pay more for an employee unless there is added value. It doesn’t work that way.

You are clueless. Those farmers care nothing about holding down anyone because of race. They care about PROFIT.
I'm sure you would have said the same thing in 1860. And 1880. And 1920. And 1954. And 1963. And 1980.

That's always the argument - that racism doesn't make economic sense. Yet time and again people prove that hate trumps money every time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2022, 10:46 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
22,668 posts, read 14,065,817 times
Reputation: 33222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
LOL!

Y'all thought they were maybe paying the Afrikaners less than Americans. Nope. All this time, the owners could have paid more to black or Hispanic workers, but chose not to. Now they have the opportunity to pay white men more, and jump at the chance.

Mississippi is always gonna Mississippi.
It's not just Mississippi. Montana. South Carolina. New Mexico. Farm workers are nowhere to be found. Labor department indicates around 40,000 jobs go unfilled across America.
And it's going to get worse. Demographically, there is a present and rising labor shortage due to the aging of Baby Boomers who no longer work. Already, wages are rising in an attempt to fill jobs. In many cases people are simply not there.
Rural America lost most of the population. How many of your Black friends know the first thing about operating farm equipment or processing crops? And why hire an illegal Hispanic when you can hire a legal South African?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2022, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,645 posts, read 1,571,579 times
Reputation: 2807
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I'm sure you would have said the same thing in 1860. And 1880. And 1920. And 1954. And 1963. And 1980.

That's always the argument - that racism doesn't make economic sense. Yet time and again people prove that hate trumps money every time.
Stop with the race baiting. Your argument makes NO sense.

I really hope I don't have to explain the difference in farming in 1860 and 2022.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2022, 10:16 PM
 
1,191 posts, read 1,479,924 times
Reputation: 2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's not just Mississippi. Montana. South Carolina. New Mexico. Farm workers are nowhere to be found. Labor department indicates around 40,000 jobs go unfilled across America.
And it's going to get worse. Demographically, there is a present and rising labor shortage due to the aging of Baby Boomers who no longer work. Already, wages are rising in an attempt to fill jobs. In many cases people are simply not there.
Rural America lost most of the population. How many of your Black friends know the first thing about operating farm equipment or processing crops? And why hire an illegal Hispanic when you can hire a legal South African?


Because an illegal hispanic is probably less than half the cost, plus less paperwork and hispanics generally work from can to can't and don't complain.

In MS, there are more legal hispanics doing farm labor than South Africans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2022, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,645 posts, read 1,571,579 times
Reputation: 2807
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
[/b]

Because an illegal hispanic is probably less than half the cost, plus less paperwork and hispanics generally work from can to can't and don't complain.

In MS, there are more legal hispanics doing farm labor than South Africans.
This only works if they are doing the exact same type of work. In modern day farming, that's not always the case. Nobody's going to pay more for a guy to do the same type of work. The notion that this is somehow racist is asinine.

The issue here, is that many WANT it to be racist. And no better place to write that story than in Mississippi. It plays better there.

The only issue there is to discern is if the farmers are taking advantage of this government program. If not, the market takes care of the rest. Farming is not an industry full of rich people. The margins between profit and loss are very slim. There are huge upfront costs each and every single year, nobody can afford to do dumb stuff like be racist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top