Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 10:47 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
[/b]

Because an illegal hispanic is probably less than half the cost, plus less paperwork and hispanics generally work from can to can't and don't complain.

In MS, there are more legal hispanics doing farm labor than South Africans.
Nowadays, you’re lucky to find someone who works from “will” to “won’t”.
I think employers should hire whoever they please. They should just be upfront about it. Contrary to popular belief, not all business people are right-wing reactionaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 03:25 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Nowadays, you’re lucky to find someone who works from “will” to “won’t”.
I think employers should hire whoever they please. They should just be upfront about it. Contrary to popular belief, not all business people are right-wing reactionaries.
My mom's roof was replaced last year by a white roofing crew (a simple 1960 ranch style house - 1600ish sf), it took them several days. My roof was replaced a few weeks ago, my house is twice the size, step pitch with many gables, etc., the hispanic crew was finished by 5pm and went to start on another house. They would have knocked out my mom's house in 3 hours.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:18 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonpanther View Post
lol!

Y'all thought they were maybe paying the afrikaners less than americans. Nope. All this time, the owners could have paid more to black or hispanic workers, but chose not to. Now they have the opportunity to pay white men more, and jump at the chance.

Mississippi is always gonna mississippi.

The smilie I want to use isn't showing up (but maybe it's just me), so I'll use another:

Old 07-09-2022, 06:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Are you insinuating that because these young men are Afrikaners, they should be regarded as racist reactionaries? They grew up in post-apartheid South Africa. They aren’t living high on the hog.
What?! I'm "insinuating" that US farmers should have, could have, treated American migrant farmworkers similarly. Not sure how you could have missed that.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:09 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What?! I'm "insinuating" that US farmers should have, could have, treated American migrant farmworkers similarly. Not sure how you could have missed that.
Really not many American migrant farm workers, at least not in the MS in the last 50 years or so. There are many hispanic migrant farm workers who stay in the US year round, but their legal status is.... "murky."

There are very few South African farm workers, and in spite of you you read, most are experienced farmers in their homeland and when they come over, they live on the farm and are essentially 24/7 labor with little time off. Again the numbers of South Africans are very low and most farmers rely on local labor.

Side note, I've seen a lot more female tractor drivers in the past few years, I think that is great.

Last edited by viverlibre; 07-16-2022 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-18-2022, 08:46 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm wondering how on earth you could possibly know how they were treated.
Then I'm wondering (after I assume you know something you have not revealed) what you would have done differently, since Mississippi is not known for having a plethora of wealthy farmers.

Lastly, I am wondering if you took the whole subject of "poorly treated migrant workers in Mississippi" from the Great Coloring Book of Stereotypical Ideas.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:59 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
There are very few South African farm workers, and in spite of you you read, most are experienced farmers in their homeland and when they come over, they live on the farm and are essentially 24/7 labor with little time off.
Is this a...problem?

Old 07-19-2022, 09:39 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Is this a...problem?
No, it's a strength. And that's what viverlibre was pointing-out. It's one of the reasons why they're worth more. Essentially, they function as surrogates for the farmer who employs them, because they're actual farmers - not "farm hands".

The current plight of the Netherlands' farmers (whom the EU is doing its best to destroy), shines a light on precisely how valuable South Africa's farmers actually are (the Afrikaners' ancestors left Holland, centuries ago, but they're essentially still Dutch). The Netherlands, despite the nation's tiny size, ranks among the top exporters of agricultural products, worldwide (sometimes listed as Number 2, right after the US).

That's because the Netherlands' farmers are very smart and very productive. They understand infrastructure. They PIONEER infrastructure, processes, and systems. And South Africa's farmers are essentially the same.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:37 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
So, 11 farms have been fined what is essentially pocket change.
https://mississippitoday.org/2022/11...i-delta-farms/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi