U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2022, 09:31 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,674,018 times

Advertisements

Is the good-ol’-boy palm-greasing and backscratching that happens in the places Mississippi bigwigs hang out more harmful to the state than the violent crime that plagues us? Is white-collar crime in some way responsible for the violence in that money that could help the poor gets diverted to various get-richer-quick schemes?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 09:40 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,600,603 times
Violent crime is worse. Duh.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:56 AM

564 posts, read 192,292 times
Palm-greasing and backscratching happen within any power structure, whether it’s local, state, or national, and it does take away from the community, leaving it more impoverished and prone to violent crime on the streets. The reason it’s felt more acutely in a state like Mississippi is because there is so much less money overall to go around. California is just as rife with nepotism and palm-greasing, but it’s got a lot of money to hand out, some of which does trickle down to the poorer classes. Not that it makes the streets all that safe and non-violent. It just creates deeply entrenched urban squalor, since public assistance incentivizes people to stick around and pitch a tent within walking distance of the welfare office.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:31 PM

3,587 posts, read 5,213,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is the good-ol’-boy palm-greasing and backscratching that happens in the places Mississippi bigwigs hang out more harmful to the state than the violent crime that plagues us? Is white-collar crime in some way responsible for the violence in that money that could help the poor gets diverted to various get-richer-quick schemes?
Suite Crime is WORSE. I can think of several specific examples.

Suite Crime leads to hopelessness in the populace. Hopelessness leads to violence and dissipation.

When the "Pandemic" was being imposed upon the nation, Mississippi's bigwigs were clearly on-the-take, when they shut down the gyms, but allowed liquor stores to remain open. (Booze cripples the Immune System, while steam and dry saunas are reputed to possibly make short work of viruses taking-hold in sinuses. And then, there are the metabolic/immune advantages arising from weight-bearing exercise.) Big Booze has been corrupting those in authority, for a century. Gym owners lack the ability to bribe, so gyms, a critical resource for those who actively maintain their health, got shut down. The virtuous were penalized, while the dissolute were rewarded.

I hear, too, that the state's liquor distribution system is being privatized: more money for Big Booze distributors, from out-of-state, which seem to have been schmoozing your state's lawmakers, in various "suites", of late.

But back to the "Pandemic": Governor Sundayschoolteacher and the various other quislings-in-power, did as little "resisting" of outside forces as they could get away with, considering the level of skepticism, resistance, and anger among Mississippi's populace. Florida is a shining example of what Mississippi's "leaders" COULD have done. But, let's face it: you don't need an orchidometer, to know the difference between Governor Sundayschoolteacher and Governor DiSantis. One glance at their faces, and you'll know whose hormone levels are higher.

But then, Florida has honest elections. Clearly, Mississippi's elections can be bought, as the supposed result of a recent "ballot measure" sadly reveals. Suite Crime was involved, in both the failure of Mississippi's functionaries, to guarantee secure elections like they have in Florida, and in their failure to prevent whatever manipulations resulted in that measure's passing, and its acceleration of Mississippi's plunge into the Pit of Depravity.

I am a buyer of Mississippi farmland. I also listen to stories told by the very-old. And I am capable of reading history. On one day, in the early Twentieth Century, a third of Mississippi's farmland was sold, at auction, over unpaid taxes. Mississippi's ongoing elimination of its very-fair Income Tax will, inevitably, lead to higher property taxes. (Higher taxes mean more pressure, to transition from farming/land-use models which are good for both farmers and the environment, and, instead, toward ruthless, harmful, exploitation of the land.) Mississippi's "leaders" pitch this measure as being what is needed to attract new residents and new businesses. In reality, "leaders" know that Ozzie & Harriet are not going to be moving to Mississippi. Nor are Ward and June Cleaver. Nor are the Huxtables.

I suspect that Suite Crime was involved, in "convincing" Mississippi's various powerful personages, to abandon the Income Tax. I'm sure none of those shadowy figures from out in Yankeeland (or on another continent), bothered to tell Gunn (beautiful man, with a sexy haircut, and a voice that makes my toes curl, but that's the only good I can say about him) and the others, what the real end-goal is, in this.

The REAL goal, a few chessboard moves into the future, is to tax Mississippi's farmers/landowners off the land. Goodbye, family farms! Goodbye, responsibly-curated woodlands! Remember reading about the transition, in Ancient Rome, from the vibrant republic of small farmers, toward a decadent empire dominated by giant agricultural estates: grinding poverty/slavery for most, and hedonistic luxury for a tiny few? Well... maybe Mississippi's "leaders" don't know much history. But oligarchs DO study history. And the drivers of certain foreign powers DO study history. The psychopaths at the top, salivate, thinking about reducing most Americans to the status of serfs. Subjugating and destroying others, is what psychos live to do.

Through various means, the Oligarchy, which will come to own Mississippi's farms and forests, will be immune to the upcoming rise in taxes. It's all in the structuring of one's holdings - and only big guys can do it. Little guys will have to sell-out. I'll be fine. In fact, I (through my rapacious children) have made enough from Covid Profiteering, to forgive land rents, as my farmers get hit with zooming costs for fuel and fertilizer. (Get it? Higher land taxes, plus higher prices for fuel and fertilizer? ...almost as if this were being coordinated from somewhere?) Bill Gates will be fine. "Foreign Capital" will be fine, too.

Thirty years ago, I think it was Gore Vidal, writing for Vanity Fair, who warned us that the plan was to transform North America into "one big pool of exploitable resources and cheap labor". It was planned. It's being coordinated. Mississippi's "leaders" - either conspiratorially or unwittingly - are enabling it.

And speaking of chessboards, and kleptocratic master-plans from afar, and Mississippi's chest-thumping, moralistic "leaders" (who love to congregate in smoke-filled boozy rooms, when the cameras are not running), what does one suppose is really behind this whole mess about Abortion? Could it be, that the powers controlling both the Left Wing and the Right Wing - both the Democrats and the Republicans - have instructed the Republicans to maintain positions which will make them hated by the majority? ...at least, long-enough for them to lose a few rounds of elections? ...at least long-enough for Americans to be disarmed, and for elections to be rendered permanently and irrevocably meaningless? ...at least, long-enough to ensure that there can never be another someone who can begin to drain the swamp? After that, nothing will matter.

Who, in which "suite", convinced Mississippi's functionaries that getting behind that touchy issue, was their ticket to the fulfillment of their grubby little dreams? How did it happen, specifically? I'd love to know.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-27-2022 at 04:46 PM..

Old 07-27-2022, 04:55 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,674,018 times
I actually had the scandal involving former Governor Phil Bryant, football legend Bret Favre and others in mind when I posed my question. From “Jackson Jambalaya”.
Jackson Jambalaya: Nancy Goes for Overkill on Phil & USM
Small potatoes, perhaps, in itself. But just another example of a get-richer-quick scheme for the favored few.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:34 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,502,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Goodbye, family farms! Goodbye, responsibly-curated woodlands! Remember reading about the transition, in Ancient Rome, from the vibrant republic of small farmers, toward a decadent empire dominated by giant agricultural estates: grinding poverty/slavery for most, and hedonistic luxury for a tiny few? Well... maybe Mississippi's "leaders" don't know much history.
Interesting, I recently read that one of the contributing factors leading to the decline of Viking Society was their transition from family farms to feudalism. Additionally, I'm concerned that Bill Gates and other billionaires are buying large swathes of farmland (especially in MS, LA and AR).

Old 07-27-2022, 11:31 PM

3,587 posts, read 5,213,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I actually had the scandal involving former Governor Phil Bryant, football legend Bret Favre and others in mind when I posed my question. From “Jackson Jambalaya”.
Jackson Jambalaya: Nancy Goes for Overkill on Phil & USM
Small potatoes, perhaps, in itself. But just another example of a get-richer-quick scheme for the favored few.
Aaaaaah, yes.... the "Jock-sniffers" (to use the term Kingfish employed, in some of his Jackson Jambalaya coverage of the story). I was going to address that issue, but the granddaughters are playing 'Soylent Green', now, instead of 'World War Z' or 'Cannibals of Leningrad', and I had to go unwrap a guard from the bedsheet they'd tied him into, prior to "processing".

Kingfish, if you've never seen him in-person, is a towering totem of masculinity. He's an ex-Marine, with the kind of body the menfolk fetishize, when they think of marines. His hair is a little too "Jethro Bodine" for my taste, and I wish he'd take a cue from Philip Gunn, and get a product-free Brush Cut. Those beautiful Bretons keep their full, thick hair, for life, so he could definitely rock that style, if he wanted. Anyway, he's a mountain of muscle. And according to one lucky girl he's dated, "Well... remember Mrs. Goforth's line in the movie, Boom? 'Great legs aren't all you've got, baby!' ?" He's probably been sidestepping Jock-sniffers for most of his life, and my impression is, he's annoyed by them.

My glowering and inscrutalbe husband, on the other hand, regards Jock-sniffers as an exploitable resource. And he likes adulation, regardless of its source.

That term mostly refers to the kind of "married, family men", who used to watch Professional Wrestling, because they couldn't get caught buying a Playgirl from the convenience store in the next town (assuming they could admit anything like that about themselves, to even themselves).

I had an uncle like that. He was very condescending to Gay men in the extended family, I'm told, but had huge man-crushes on Kris Kristofferson and Burt Reynolds (both ex-football types). He collected Conan the Barbarian comics. ...one hypermasculine obsession after another. And, when some big, super-masculine sports star got near, he'd fall all over himself, like a lovestruck puppy trying to please the Big Dog. Their tiny metro was home to three of the nation's dominant corporations, and big, hot stars of various things, were frequently in-town for Republican fundraisers.

My uncle's excitement at meeting men who were both hot and idolized by others, was bewildering and embarrassing to his wife and children. This was a man whose career as a corporate VP, was followed by his rising to the highest post possible in his state, within one of the three branches of government. He was the equivalent to the sort of guys you're talking about, in your original post - except he was honest. He was already very rich, to the point where he was founding charities, to shed some of his wealth - which is leading me to an important point about the particular dynamic I suspect is key in the DiBiase/Favre/New/Governor Feel Bouffant scandal. There's an element of lust there, as the Primary Reinforcement they're seeking, and greed is just the excuse, I suspect.

Brett Favre is possibly the most beautiful man I've ever seen. And I'm a Gym Bunny. I've seen a lot of beautiful men. Those guys to whom you allude, wanted to "hang-out with" Favre. They wanted to "be buddies with" DiBiase. They wanted to see things the public doesn't get to, I'll bet. Maybe they admitted that to themselves. Maybe not. That's my guess. The rakeoff/bribes/kickbacks, whatever, were just lagniappe.

We were "discovered by" (or allowed into) my great grandmother's extended family (the successful branches, which had fled Mississippi), after DH and I had gotten our terminal degrees and were founding our own businesses. You'd think that my uncle would have been warm to my husband, who, after all, was a Marc Gastineau lookalike, with a 'Dr.' in front of his name. But no: Uncle was visibly upset, and displayed a weaponized condescension, the few times he was in proximity to DH. My husband was not idolized by the general public. That was the difference.

The combination of physical hotness and idolization by "people everywhere", is the catnip I suspect led the powerful men to whom you refer, to make fools of themselves. And maybe, it's because "The Million Dollar Man" and Brett Favre, are vetted as manly-men, by the public. The rakeoff-potential of that particular caper couldn't be enough, to make these guys go into such a structurally-flawed gambit, if you ask me.

But to answer your question in the OP, I still think that this "Suite Crime" is worse than Street Crime. Snatching the pitifully-few crumbs Mississippi was offering to its poorest and most desperate residents, can only lead to great harm (and more Street Crime).

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-28-2022 at 12:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: