U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 05:23 AM

7,939 posts, read 3,768,396 times

Advertisements

Fist, I understand there have been freezing temperatures and catastrophic floods that have compounded the water issue.

In addition the Mayor of the State Capitol states that staffing shortages and equipment failures due to lack of maintenance for decades now means it will take billions of dollars to fix.

Billions of dollars ..... to restore water in a state capitol. Basic, clean drinking water, a basic human right, is now off the table in the capitol unless someone comes up with BILLIONS of dollars.

Think about that for a minute.

No water because state government failed to maintain infrastructure for decades.

What have government priorities been "for decades" if water was not on the list?

I am having a hard time coming up with any kind of logical explination around this one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 08:58 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,674,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Fist, I understand there have been freezing temperatures and catastrophic floods that have compounded the water issue.

In addition the Mayor of the State Capitol states that staffing shortages and equipment failures due to lack of maintenance for decades now means it will take billions of dollars to fix.

Billions of dollars ..... to restore water in a state capitol. Basic, clean drinking water, a basic human right, is now off the table in the capitol unless someone comes up with BILLIONS of dollars.

No water because state government failed to maintain infrastructure for decades.

What have government priorities been "for decades" if water was not on the list?

I am having a hard time coming up with any kind of logical explination around this one.
The city government has “failed to maintain infrastructure for decades”.
That’s because only a small minority of Jacksonians vote, and they vote for the worst candidates at the municipal level. And because Jackson has a “strong mayor” model, an incompetent or malevolent mayor can cause a lot of harm.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:03 PM

8,980 posts, read 12,588,614 times
This is such a sad, shocking and truly deplorable situation.

Who has been in charge in Jackson, over the past few decades? This explains a heckuva lot with Jackson and Mississippi appearing on the bottom 3 lists for a lot of categories like economics, education, high poverty, and well paying jobs.

If a city cannot get the basics right like delivering water to its citizens, it can't get anything else right either.

This situation needs to be investigated, because I smell some wasteful corrupt spending going on, that is decades-old.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:11 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,674,018 times
I think there’s been a game of chicken going on between Jackson and the state government. Despite being Mississippi’s capital and largest city, Jackson has been politically marginalized for years due to being a Democratic bastion in an overwhelmingly Republican state.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:20 PM

10,989 posts, read 5,796,578 times
Water utility is a municipal issue.

The city government has been inept and corrupt for a long time and has an activist mayor who pledged to turn Jackson into the most radical city on the planet.

For once, a campaign promise fulfilled!

Even the suburbs have been forced to subsidize Jackson's water utility for years.

Old 08-31-2022, 03:17 PM

7,300 posts, read 5,513,856 times
Elections have consequences, or something like that.

Old 08-31-2022, 03:48 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,600,603 times
Quote:
Get your facts right. The state is not responsible for maintaining the infrastructure of the city of Jackson. It's the city of Jackson's responsibility. They own the utility.

The state is doing the city a big favor.

Last edited by Mississippi Alabama Line; 08-31-2022 at 03:56 PM..

Old 08-31-2022, 03:53 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,600,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This is such a sad, shocking and truly deplorable situation.

Who has been in charge in Jackson, over the past few decades? This explains a heckuva lot with Jackson and Mississippi appearing on the bottom 3 lists for a lot of categories like economics, education, high poverty, and well paying jobs.

If a city cannot get the basics right like delivering water to its citizens, it can't get anything else right either.

This situation needs to be investigated, because I smell some wasteful corrupt spending going on, that is decades-old.
You're exactly right. Jackson brings the state down in basically every ranking.

But there again, the state NEEDS Jackson to be a viable metro area. Which it is, metro-speaking, plenty of fine places to live and work in the whole metro area of 600K plus. But it could be much, much better with just a DECENT Jackson to anchor it. Doesn't even have to be great, just on the level of Memphis, Birmingham, Montgomery, Macon, scale wise. I know some of those cities are bigger and some are smaller, so spare me the comparisons. My point is there needs to be some investment and a viable downtown business and entertainment area.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:14 AM

3,683 posts, read 3,564,070 times
Quote:

Just look at the mayor and his ideology. That will give you an idea of priorities.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:13 PM

3,501 posts, read 2,198,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Doesn't even have to be great, just on the level of Memphis, Birmingham, Montgomery, Macon, scale wise.
How sad is it that those are seen as glamorous cities and seemingly out of reach compared to Jackson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi