U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 02:17 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,213,007 times

Advertisements

Dowager Soybean Empress' Butler was all agog, this morning, telling me about Barbie Bassett's tearful on-air apology for something she said. Apparently, it was a racial slur. But who knows? I've lived to see people get in trouble with the Slur Police, for including the word 'Ominous' in a graduation card, and for calling someone 'Articulate'. So who knows what Barbie's words were, which got so many knickers so painfully twisted?

"You know when that American kid in North Korea - you know, the one they beat-to-death for stealing a poster - during what they were calling a 'trial', when he was confessing? That's what it was like. She was cryin' and shakin', and SCARED.

"And I saw her, in-person, waitin' for her Lexus, up in the dealership lounge area, just like me, not long ago."(Dowager Soybean Empress "drives" Jaguars, which means that her faithful retainer must drive Lexus - so they'll have something RELIABLE to do their actual traveling in - mostly, when he's driving across the Delta, to collect the Empress, at whatever point the tow truck has been summoned-to, for hauling one of the Jaguars to the repair shop)."

So what did Barbie say? Was it a big something, or just something minor, which masters in The Art of Predatory Outrage were able to spin into something seemingly actionable?

Here's the apology: https://www.wlbt.com/video/2022/10/3...izes-comments/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 02:55 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,672,446 times
https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wlbt-an...omment/245058/

Old 11-01-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Thank you! Hopefully, adweek won't hijack my computer, as did a site which stores old magazine articles. I paid a big price, looking, in-vain, for full-body shots of Todd Mardis at the wedding where he was allegedly defiling the Rolls Royce. (found a memorably cringeworthy wedding, though, at Reunion's gargantuan-&-cheezy pseudo-Antebellum clubhouse. As my Decorator said, "It's SOOOOO Buster!" And who knew that wedding sparklers now come in a big-ten-inch size, plus a totally unrealistic 36-inch model?) But thank you! I didn't mean to click on that site to which you linked, but just find out what adweek was, and who owned it, before following your link. But computers are now so "helpful", mine took me straight there. So, thank you for NOT linking to a site full of malware.

So, basically, Barbie used a word that's probably STILL used, in the same way that less-than-ritzy grandparent names like, 'Mamaw', 'Papaw', 'Maw Maw', and 'Granddad' or 'Granddaddy' are used - but hadn't gotten the memo that it's now a forbidden word. Personally, when I hear the word "dad", I cringe. It sounds so crass: both the way Yankees say it, and the dipthong-laden/three-syllables-long way poor white Southerners say it. How DARE anyone insinuate that I'm so low-class as to have ever had one? ...or that my husband IS one? ...or that a son of mine might become one? I've wanted to KILL people, who used "dad", in reference to my family.

'Father' is the word, and the children were taught better words than "dad", with which to address him.

So, I can see how demeaning Poe found the old-timey word applied to her grandmother. Just because it was also used by the (white) people in the movie, 'Tobacco Road', or on the 'The Real McCoys', or 'The Beverly Hillbillies', doesn't make it OK. In fact, that might make it worse. I think it's the low-class aspect of the word, rather than the possibly-racist aspect, which makes it most offensive.

Now, whether or not I'd ruin someone's career, over calling my 'Real-daddy' my 'Dad', I don't know.

Hmmmm.... thinking, now, about whether I could gain advantage over others, by construing terms applied to my forebears, which might allude to our people's time as a captive tribe in Egypt, and in Babylon. Then, I could pretend that those terms are offensive unto me. Problem is, I actually am smart enough to make my own money. So, I don't need to create verbal minefields, in the hopes of someone's stepping into them - thus earning me some attention and/or a grievance check.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:22 PM

22,942 posts, read 14,278,620 times
Words like Papaw, Grampaw, and all other variations are forbidden for my grandchildren. Since, technically, I have no grandchildren, only step-grandchildren, I prefer to be called "Joe". That is my name, and that's what everyone calls me regardless of their age.
Some youngsters who feel awkward calling me Joe, call me Mr Joe. I like that, too.
I had a father once. Called him Dad, but I didn't know him very well or for very long.

I never met any of my grandparents, so they never got names.

"Grandmammy!? Yeah, that sort of sets my teeth on edge, but I don't think anyone should be fired because of it.
I'm articulate. Intelligent, too. People bring me all sorts of whiz-gadgets to fix. Built my own computer, in fact. If my grandsons (step) called me intelligent or articulate I would just smile and let it go. But Papaw?!... Naw, don't call me that.

You know what's even worse than Grandmammy?.............. Barbie! Who in the blue blazes wants to be called Barbie? I mean it's better than Trixie or Bambi (who was a boy deer), but it's still pretty bad.
How do you ever chew out someone named Barbie?

Old 11-11-2022, 04:31 PM

533 posts, read 695,765 times
Ms. Bassett tearfully apologized and publicly expressed regret at having said "grandmammy." At some point the continued haranguing is just gratuitous.

Old 11-17-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Words like Papaw, Grampaw, and all other variations are forbidden for my grandchildren. Since, technically, I have no grandchildren, only step-grandchildren, I prefer to be called "Joe". That is my name, and that's what everyone calls me regardless of their age.
Some youngsters who feel awkward calling me Joe, call me Mr Joe. I like that, too.
I had a father once. Called him Dad, but I didn't know him very well or for very long.

I never met any of my grandparents, so they never got names.

"Grandmammy!? Yeah, that sort of sets my teeth on edge, but I don't think anyone should be fired because of it.
I'm articulate. Intelligent, too. People bring me all sorts of whiz-gadgets to fix. Built my own computer, in fact. If my grandsons (step) called me intelligent or articulate I would just smile and let it go. But Papaw?!... Naw, don't call me that.

You know what's even worse than Grandmammy?.............. Barbie! Who in the blue blazes wants to be called Barbie? I mean it's better than Trixie or Bambi (who was a boy deer), but it's still pretty bad.
How do you ever chew out someone named Barbie?
You're wise. Why any person of substance, has ever allowed himself/herself to be saddled with an ugly, belittling nickname, I cannot imagine. An ugly nickname, is the first step on a slippery slope ending in despair.

The grandchildren would grow up seeing you as being nothing more than that name. This would be their LIMIT - their CEILING for their understanding of you.

As for "Dad", I can see directly calling someone that (particularly in an English accent, which makes the word sound less horrible). And I can see situations when, en famille, one might refer to a specific individual as that. Personally, when I hear someone referred to as "his daddy", or "your daddy", my hair stands on end - except when there is irony or sarcasm involved. I call the creature who knocked-up my mother, "My Real Daddy", precisely BECAUSE I find that usage to be offensive. I'm being sarcastic, when I say that. Mama was working out of a room at the Tivoli, on the Coast, and it was part of his operation - as was the whole town, back then. Maybe he knew I came into being - maybe not. Mama didn't end-up at the bottom of Biloxi Bay, like the other girls. So maybe he DID know...

I had a lot of "New Daddies", too: one after another, for as many years as Mama could convince new suckers that she'd found religion and was "clean". I loved having "New Daddies", because they'd take you to a big city (a place with a traffic light and a drive-in eatery), where you could order Fried Chicken.

So, yes, I can see the harm in calling someone "Grandmammy" - just not the sort of harm that the Social Justice Warriors are pretending to see.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-17-2022 at 07:57 PM..

Old 11-17-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
Ms. Bassett tearfully apologized and publicly expressed regret at having said "grandmammy." At some point the continued haranguing is just gratuitous.
I'm busy, mornings, when this is going on (and so can't watch, via teleconference, with The Empress) but mornings, on that station (If I've got it straight), there are several "news personalities" standing behind one of those news counter thingies, having "cheerful banter".... all-morning-long.

Those "news personalities" are under serious pressure, to have lots of personality. Imagine having to host Macy's Thanksgiving Parade - every day. You'd run out of cute things to say.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that Barbie was standing there, having to generate banter - being cute and hilarious and country and folksy.

That's part of her job.

I cannot imagine having to think-up hilarious cute things, while remembering the complex Calculus of Victimology and Grievancemongering - which includes having to remember my own racial identity, in relation to the racial identity of the person to whom I'm speaking - realizing that each can shift - both with the situation, and relative to the person with whom one is speaking.

I'm seeing Barbie standing there, at that strange news desk thingie, having to - required to - PAID to sound country and folksy. She probably thought she'd remembered something exceptionally and adorably cornpone, that she heard on The Beverly Hillbillies - perfect for the audience. She was TRYIN'-dammit!

But she forgot she was supposed to run every word and phrase, through an invisible Victimology & Grievancemongering Vetting Machine. That'd have to be one fast machine, to run at The Speed of Banter.

We've been recently informed that there is now "The Speed of Science", so surely there's a setting on the Victimology & Grievancemongering Vetting Machine, marked, "Speed of Banter".

In the olden days, George Bush I, would just say "grandchildren", over and over and over. And the new one, up there in Washington, occupying that same conveniently-corner-free office (corners can trap you, you know: ovals are safer) seems trained to say "families", over and over and over, until he wanders to the edge of the stage and falls-off. I think he's saying "families" , but can't understand him, anyway, so who knows.

Maybe Barbie should mumble more?

Old 11-18-2022, 04:57 PM

533 posts, read 695,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I'm busy, mornings, when this is going on (and so can't watch, via teleconference, with The Empress) but mornings, on that station (If I've got it straight), there are several "news personalities" standing behind one of those news counter thingies, having "cheerful banter".... all-morning-long.

Those "news personalities" are under serious pressure, to have lots of personality. Imagine having to host Macy's Thanksgiving Parade - every day. You'd run out of cute things to say.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that Barbie was standing there, having to generate banter - being cute and hilarious and country and folksy.

That's part of her job.

I cannot imagine having to think-up hilarious cute things, while remembering the complex Calculus of Victimology and Grievancemongering - which includes having to remember my own racial identity, in relation to the racial identity of the person to whom I'm speaking - realizing that each can shift - both with the situation, and relative to the person with whom one is speaking.

I'm seeing Barbie standing there, at that strange news desk thingie, having to - required to - PAID to sound country and folksy. She probably thought she'd remembered something exceptionally and adorably cornpone, that she heard on The Beverly Hillbillies - perfect for the audience. She was TRYIN'-dammit!

But she forgot she was supposed to run every word and phrase, through an invisible Victimology & Grievancemongering Vetting Machine. That'd have to be one fast machine, to run at The Speed of Banter.

We've been recently informed that there is now "The Speed of Science", so surely there's a setting on the Victimology & Grievancemongering Vetting Machine, marked, "Speed of Banter".

In the olden days, George Bush I, would just say "grandchildren", over and over and over. And the new one, up there in Washington, occupying that same conveniently-corner-free office (corners can trap you, you know: ovals are safer) seems trained to say "families", over and over and over, until he wanders to the edge of the stage and falls-off. I think he's saying "families" , but can't understand him, anyway, so who knows.

Maybe Barbie should mumble more?
Oh my gosh that's funny! I'll bet that's exactly what she was doing. Desperately trying to be warm, engaging, connecting to her base of unpretentious fans, and then the awful g word unwittingly rolled off her tongue.

I wonder how closely the station is observing the no gender-based terminology. How careful are they not to refer to co-workers as him, he, her, or she! Yikes!

Old 11-20-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
Oh my gosh that's funny! I'll bet that's exactly what she was doing. Desperately trying to be warm, engaging, connecting to her base of unpretentious fans, and then the awful g word unwittingly rolled off her tongue.

I wonder how closely the station is observing the no gender-based terminology. How careful are they not to refer to co-workers as him, he, her, or she! Yikes!
Exactly! I just did an image search for that word, and up came a Li'l Abner cartoon, where the word was being used. From the looks of it, L'il Abner was used for softcore purposes, before Conan the Barbarian, WWF Professional Wrestling, and Joe Rogan came along, to "inspire" young men. Both 'Daisy' and 'Abner' were objectified-to-the-max. I'm sure the boys kept their Li'l Abner comics out in the barn, where Mama wouldn't find them. Either that, or America's culture used to be far less CENSORIOUS than it is, today.

And there were also a lot of OBITUARIES, where this suddenly-forbidden 'G-word' was listed as being what loved-ones called their deceased grandmothers. These were from Virginia and Tennessee, and (like Li'l Abner cartoons) were 100% about white people.

So, apparently, it's only a racist insult when you call SOME people that. Barbie wasn't thinking fast-enough. These days, you apparently have to be constantly aware of the race of everybody around you - probably to the exclusion of anything of any real importance, because who would have time to think about anything else? I'm getting exhausted, just thinking about it.

Maybe the adorable banter needs to be scripted?

Old 11-20-2022, 03:55 PM

6,423 posts, read 5,027,181 times
I mean...what matters most is a person's intent, not the specific words. But "mammy" is pretty well-known as a troublesome term at this point, kinda makes you wonder what rock a person has been living under if they genuinely don't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi