Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 09:51 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times

Advertisements

Things are moving with converting 92 miles of the long-defunct Columbus and Greenville railroad into a rail trail. The trail would be from Greenwood to West Point.

C&G Trail Coalition

Commercial Dispatch: 92-mile rail-to-trail project gains traction
WTVA: Biking trail proposed to replace old rail line

As usual with these types of developments, this is highly sought after by businesses in adjacent towns. Existing MS trails such as the Tanglefoot and Long Leaf Trace are wildly successful. This one trail would be longer than those two combined, and crosses the Natchez Trace. People would come from all over the country to bike this trail. Greenwood and West Point have already converted short sections of the C&G into city trails.

Unfortunately, these developments are fiercely fought by the affected rural landowners who won't gain much (if anything) and stand to actually lose out.

Lots and lots of misinformation flowing, including most of the public comments made at a hearing in Kilmichael. Sooooo much ignorance:
Winona Times: Rails to Trails Causes a Stir at Kilmichael's Board Meeting

All that said, I am a land owner along the trail and am currently reserving judgement until I get more information. On one hand, I love the concept of rail-trails and have used multiple. I know the vast majority of landowner concerns (see Winona Times article) are baseless. On the other hand, I cannot support something that "takes" from me. My main concern, still not answered, is whether I will be able to access the rear section of my property. If I can access my property without restriction, then I will throw my support behind the trail. If I will lose access to a large chunk of property then I will fight it. Simple enough.

I've asked the organizers these questions:
  1. The trail will bisect my property, and the rear section will be completely blocked off. Will I be able to access my property by riding my horse across the trail with a firearm, a 6-pack of bottled beer, a sack of fireworks, and my dog walking off-leash beside me? All those actions are against the rules on the Tanglefoot, and I'm assuming this trail will be similar.
  2. Who will own the land and who will enforce the rules on the trail (assuming an existing or new "development district" like on the nearby Tanglefoot Trail, and local LEOs)
  3. As a land owner, who is my representative regarding Trail rules and actions? Who would I contact regarding potential rule changes that affect me?

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 04-13-2023 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 03:13 PM

3,449 posts, read 2,775,135 times
That rail line has been abandoned over 20 years. There were one or two businesses on it. Not enough to justify reopening it after a bridge failed.

Old 04-13-2023, 11:36 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times
I've pedaled my bike along the entire lengths of the Long Leaf Trail and the Tanglefoot Trail, and also along a good portion of the Natchez Trace (not a bike trail, but a very low traffic 2-lane national scenic highway). MS has mostly gentle rolling terrain and a nice mix of forest and farm land with rivers and lakes, so it is a good bike riding region.

In rural MS along the roads and trails I mentioned above, I would rarely encounter a bike rider or anyone else more than every 5 or 10 minutes. If I was a land owner along the route of the trail, I would likely find more in favor than against the trail because the property value would increase. Most of the people that would use the trail would likely not cause any problems along the way, and hopefully not litter or harm to any adjacent property. If they build the trail, I'll go ride there after I return to the USA in September.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
That rail line has been abandoned over 20 years. There were one or two businesses on it. Not enough to justify reopening it after a bridge failed.
That's why they want to convert it... it'll never be economically feasible to reopen as a rail line. But a 92-mile trail connected to the Natchez Trace would be a good boost to the affected municipalities. I grew up a few miles from it. There were more businesses back then, but not now.

Several businesses in my tiny home town (a restaurant, a farmers market, a convenience store) are either immediately adjacent to the line, or a short walk away. It would be 10+ miles in one direction and 20+ miles the other to the next facilities. I predict that a significant percentage of long-distance trail users would stop at at least one of them.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:06 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
In rural MS along the roads and trails I mentioned above, I would rarely encounter a bike rider or anyone else more than every 5 or 10 minutes. If I was a land owner along the route of the trail, I would likely find more in favor than against the trail because the property value would increase. Most of the people that would use the trail would likely not cause any problems along the way, and hopefully not litter or harm to any adjacent property. If they build the trail, I'll go ride there after I return to the USA in September.
That's my thought.

Old 04-14-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
That's my thought.
Let me stress again, I'm in favor of the trail if I can get it in writing that I can drive across it to access to the rear of my property. I don't really care about a few pennies in property value because I'm not planning on selling anytime soon. However:

If anything, the property values for my land in the middle of nowhere will go down. That property value is based on access to the highway (no change), leasing a smallish field for farming (no change), timber (no change), and hunting (loss of value).

Hunting value would be hurt by the trail because landowners could no longer hunt on the clear RR ROW (my brother got a huge buck on the ROW a few years back), people walking/biking through making noise would affect wildlife, several setup options would be eliminated to avoid shooting toward the trail, etc.

If I were to sell it, it would 100% go to a hunting club or timber company, and the timber company would immediately lease hunting rights to a club. Adding the trail would mean that some potential buyers looking for hunting land would no longer be interested, and others wouldn't be willing to pay as much.

About 99% of the myths being spread by the trail opponents right now are completely false, but a drop in hunting production (and drop in property value if you're wanting to sell as hunting land) is actually a valid concern.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 04-14-2023 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-16-2023, 11:49 PM

577 posts, read 561,149 times
It's probably great for economic development, in terms of attracting workers to places like Starkville-Columbus area and Grenada. 90 miles is a heck of a long trail. For an individual land owner, I think I'd rather have a nice trail than a railroad track through my property.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
It's probably great for economic development, in terms of attracting workers to places like Starkville-Columbus area and Grenada. 90 miles is a heck of a long trail. For an individual land owner, I think I'd rather have a nice trail than a railroad track through my property.
It's a bit far from those three towns, and future extensions are unlikely. The CAGY is still active between West Point and Columbus, as is the Kansas City Southern line from West Point to Starkville (both Class I). The Grenada Railroad is only a Class III, but it's still quite active for a local.

What would be amazing is if they could connect the existing Tanglefoot Trail to the Natchez Trace (only about 4.5 miles, but are controlled by Mississippi voters... so...), then add bike lanes to the Trace between Houston and Mathiston. Add in the CAGY, and *that* would be a serious long-distance bicycling destination.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:40 AM

3,449 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
It's a bit far from those three towns, and future extensions are unlikely. The CAGY is still active between West Point and Columbus, as is the Kansas City Southern line from West Point to Starkville (both Class I). The Grenada Railroad is only a Class III, but it's still quite active for a local.

What would be amazing is if they could connect the existing Tanglefoot Trail to the Natchez Trace (only about 4.5 miles, but are controlled by Mississippi voters... so...), then add bike lanes to the Trace between Houston and Mathiston. Add in the CAGY, and *that* would be a serious long-distance bicycling destination.
Couldn’t bicyclists just ride up Highway 15 between Mathiston and Houston?

Old 04-17-2023, 10:59 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post

I pedaled from the end of the Tanglefoot Trail in Houston going east less than 1 mile to county road 406, and followed 406 a few more miles east till it bisected Natchez Trace. I don't think I saw more than a couple of cars on 406. Then I pedaled the Natchez Trace north to Tupelo. There are no trucks or buses and very few cars along the trace, so it really does not need bike lanes. The cars don't travel very fast, and it is easy for them to pass a cyclist since there is rarely oncoming traffic. No need to spend more tax dollars where they aren't really needed.

Maybe just put up a sign at the end of the Tanglefoot trail telling cyclists how to get to Natchez Trace. Of course, I used Google Maps which took 20 seconds or so to find a good route, which is how I navigate most of the time on a bicycle.

MS is actually a pretty good place to bike ride in, if you have a bike with wider tires that can handle non-paved roads. When I lived in Alabama, I rode all over east-central Alabama mostly on red dirt roads. MS has a lot of the same, and almost no cars on those roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi