U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 AM

212 posts, read 874,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
Hi Drew

I live in Raymond. I am Black/Hispanic (I look Spanish), 44 years old from New York City. I just moved to Raymond a month ago after visiting MS for awhile last year. Coming from New York City I was concerned about racism. I've seen a lot of it in NYC. I had expected a Klan rally on every corner in MS. It's a shame. That's all we learned about MS in NYC. After my visit last year I knew I wanted to live here.
I have to be totally honest with you I haven't encountered one incident of racism in my time here.
Nothing. Not even a weird look. Growing up as a person of color in NYC you learn that "look". I now live on a nice cul de sac with 15 other houses.
13 owners are white, 1 is an older black guy and me. The older black guy retired about 10 years ago and moved here from Detroit. He tells me he too has never had any issues and feels quite comfortable. All my neighbors have been great and welcoming to me. Coming from New York City I'm actually not used to that lol. Now granted I've only been in Mississippi for a month but I have been around the greater Jackson area and I feel totally comfortable and safe. So far I really feel if I am being judged, it is by how I present myself and not by the color of my skin. Be polite and a Mississippian will be very polite to you. Read up on MS. There are certain things they do not like.
For example. No one here wants to hear how much better this or that was back in the city or state you came from.
Now I haven't deluded myself. Is there racism here? I'm sure there are places I might not feel comfortable I just haven't seen it. There were places in New York City I did avoid so as you said racism is everywhere.
People seem so friendly here I keep finding myself checking to see if my wallet is still there (NYC joke sorry). If you are looking in the Raymond area feel safe to also look in the Clinton area. They are very close and both have "country type" areas. Rental property seems rare here since housing is so cheap
compared to many other states.
If you need any tips about the area that I can help with feel free to PM me.
I'm still a MS novice but I live in the area you are considering moving to so feel free to ask.

David
This is a great post. I have learned from reading these posts that Mississippi sounds like a very nice place to live. I get the impression that the people are very laid back and friendly, which I would really appreciate.
I can't believe how inexpensive the houses are in some areas. I didn't think there were any cities in America where the average house price is under $100,000.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
...I can't believe how inexpensive the houses are in some areas. I didn't think there were any cities in America where the average house price is under $100,000.
I was really shocked at what you can buy in MS. There is a house still for sale in Jackson that I looked at. Really nice 10 acres on a lake, pool, totally updated, I think it was a 4/3 for 299k. Where in the USA could you get something like that? My friend is trying to buy a forclosure in Port Orange, FL.
The owner built it new 2 years ago for 500k. 4/3 1/4 acre on a lake. Well the owner couldn't afford it now it's in forclosure for 295k. They really took a beating down there. It seems MS home prices are very stable. MS didn't go along with the rest of the states that exploded.
I bought my house last year and put about 12k into it in renovations. It has appreciated 10k when I refinaced it this week. Thats not bad compared to many in Florida losing 20-40% equity in the last few years.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
I was really shocked at what you can buy in MS. There is a house still for sale in Jackson that I looked at. Really nice 10 acres on a lake, pool, totally updated, I think it was a 4/3 for 299k. Where in the USA could you get something like that? My friend is trying to buy a forclosure in Port Orange, FL.
The owner built it new 2 years ago for 500k. 4/3 1/4 acre on a lake. Well the owner couldn't afford it now it's in forclosure for 295k. They really took a beating down there. It seems MS home prices are very stable. MS didn't go along with the rest of the states that exploded.
I bought my house last year and put about 12k into it in renovations. It has appreciated 10k when I refinaced it this week. Thats not bad compared to many in Florida losing 20-40% equity in the last few years.
I feel so bad for all the people in Florida that lost their houses because of foreclosures. Awhile back there was a list of all the cities in the U.S. that had a lot of foreclosures. There were so many cities in Florida that had a lot of foreclosures that they just listed Florida instead of all the cities.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 PM

I would also like to stress the point that - the Confederate Flag - does not necessarily mean someone is racist!
Some folk are quite proud of their Southern (South of the Mason/Dixon line) heritage and this is one way they display that.

I'm glad you brought this point up. I have heard that some people fly Confederate Flags to honor Great Grandparents who fought in The Civil War. I'm sure there are many other reasons people choose to fly Confederate Flags, other than being racist or Neo-Confederate.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 17,008 times
You will find Mississippi to be better then expected. I do not think you would have to worry about racist problem. Where you would be moving to, the biggest problem you would have to worry about is mabye the occasional boredom. That is mainly it. Mississippi is a very nice and outgoing place. Do not let what outsiders think make you not move to an extremly nice place. I honestly could care less what color a persons skin color is, or their ethnic background. I just care about the person and their personality. Many are like me also. I am friends with all kinds of people. If you decide to move here, then I am sure you will feel welcome and at home.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreolaMay View Post
Hi Drew 0601 -

I would also like to stress the point that - the Confederate Flag - does not necessarily mean someone is racist!
Some folk are quite proud of their Southern (South of the Mason/Dixon line) heritage and this is one way they display that.

Why take the time to stress the point about the Confederate Flag...It is offensive and the t-shirts which speak Southern Heritage are offensive as well. Recently, I saw one with "Southern B*&^%!" When I confronted her, she couldn't even hold a complete sentence...Some Southern Heritage...Guess you don't have a problem with the Ross Barnett Reservoir being named after a member of the Klu Klux Klan...

Old 07-31-2008, 11:28 PM

26 posts, read 114,629 times
Ha and why is it offensive to you if somebody wears a southern heritage shirt ha ha not knowing you im taking a crazy leap here and am going to say you have never been a slave so how does that flag effect you. Not to mention alot of people dont think of slavery when they see the rebel flag.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 AM

5,981 posts, read 17,704,226 times
Moderator: Excuse me, but we're not taking this thread down the Rebel Flag Road. The OP has asked specifically about relations with Hispanics - let's keep it along those lines, please. The flag was mentioned in passing. Too much good info here to derail the thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 PM

4,592 posts, read 8,730,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernNomad View Post
There is a decent sized hispanic population in Jackson. You'll find fewer in Raymond, but it's close enough that you shouldn't feel isolated.

Make no mistake - active racism is alive and well in MS. If there's any advantage to being there over other places, it's that in MS, you can more or less see it coming. People there who are racist are rarely subtle about it. Confederate battle flags are fairly common in that part of the state, and many neighborhoods, churches, and even schools self-segregate.

On the up side, Raymond is a nice little town, close to Jackson, and has a community college that helps add activities and resources to the community. It can be a nice place to live; just don't assume that the racism is gone from that area.

Good luck with your move!
A decent size of latinos in Jackson ! Jackson, MS don't even have 10,000 latinos in the entire city. It barely have 4,000 latinos, which means that is only 1-3% of the city. Mississippi as a whole don't have alot of latinos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi