U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 10,440 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have posted once already, regarding housing issues, and the more I read all the threads on the forum, there is one thing coming up that does concern me. To recap: We are potentially moving to the Raymond area, we are planning on homeschooling (not due to MS, but other reasons), so schools are not an issue. My heritage is hispanic, with a hispanic surname, what issues might I encounter? I understand that racism exists everywhere, but most of the topics on the forum deal with black/white relations. What is the deal with hispanics in this state?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 AM

356 posts, read 1,299,527 times
Actually, there are a lot of Hispanics in the state so I don't see where you will have a problem, especially in the area around Jackson. (that includes Raymond). Mississippi isn't nearly as bad as some people here make it out to be. Give us a chance and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:18 AM

7 posts, read 28,323 times
It's no worse than anywhere else, you shouldn't encounter a problem at all.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 20,534 times
There is a decent sized hispanic population in Jackson. You'll find fewer in Raymond, but it's close enough that you shouldn't feel isolated.

Make no mistake - active racism is alive and well in MS. If there's any advantage to being there over other places, it's that in MS, you can more or less see it coming. People there who are racist are rarely subtle about it. Confederate battle flags are fairly common in that part of the state, and many neighborhoods, churches, and even schools self-segregate.

On the up side, Raymond is a nice little town, close to Jackson, and has a community college that helps add activities and resources to the community. It can be a nice place to live; just don't assume that the racism is gone from that area.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,601,430 times
Personal experience pays off in the long run. Listen not to what the naysayers rant about. Do your homework. Make your move. Come back here and write of your experience. That alone could be the best thing you could do.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:04 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,592,058 times
Default Living the good Life in Raymond

Hi Drew

I live in Raymond. I am Black/Hispanic (I look Spanish), 44 years old from New York City. I just moved to Raymond a month ago after visiting MS for awhile last year. Coming from New York City I was concerned about racism. I've seen a lot of it in NYC. I had expected a Klan rally on every corner in MS. It's a shame. That's all we learned about MS in NYC. After my visit last year I knew I wanted to live here.
I have to be totally honest with you I haven't encountered one incident of racism in my time here.
Nothing. Not even a weird look. Growing up as a person of color in NYC you learn that "look". I now live on a nice cul de sac with 15 other houses.
13 owners are white, 1 is an older black guy and me. The older black guy retired about 10 years ago and moved here from Detroit. He tells me he too has never had any issues and feels quite comfortable. All my neighbors have been great and welcoming to me. Coming from New York City I'm actually not used to that lol. Now granted I've only been in Mississippi for a month but I have been around the greater Jackson area and I feel totally comfortable and safe. So far I really feel if I am being judged, it is by how I present myself and not by the color of my skin. Be polite and a Mississippian will be very polite to you. Read up on MS. There are certain things they do not like.
For example. No one here wants to hear how much better this or that was back in the city or state you came from.
Now I haven't deluded myself. Is there racism here? I'm sure there are places I might not feel comfortable I just haven't seen it. There were places in New York City I did avoid so as you said racism is everywhere.
People seem so friendly here I keep finding myself checking to see if my wallet is still there (NYC joke sorry). If you are looking in the Raymond area feel safe to also look in the Clinton area. They are very close and both have "country type" areas. Rental property seems rare here since housing is so cheap
compared to many other states.
If you need any tips about the area that I can help with feel free to PM me.
I'm still a MS novice but I live in the area you are considering moving to so feel free to ask.

David

Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,702,667 times
NWS, what a GREAT, positive post. I'm sure your days in Mississippi will be wonderful...the people are fantastic, and you've chose a really special place to call home. Congrats on the move, we look forward to hearing more from you!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 10,440 times
A big THANK YOU to everyone out there who responded! Obviously, nothing can beat my own experience, but it is good to know what to expect! If we do get to move to MS, I will be sure to update everyone on what we see!

Thanks again!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:44 PM

18 posts, read 86,183 times
Hi Drew 0601 -

I live in Picayune, MS (South - Pearl River County)
Just moved here from the UK.
I am a white chick, but could pass for Hispanic or Cherokee -

I can't vouch for the the whole of Mississippi - but here in Picayune , there can be some "negativity" towards outsiders (folk who aren't born/bred in this area).

Regardless of race/colour/creed - It's just a wary of outsiders attitude, not sure what it stems from?

I would also like to stress the point that - the Confederate Flag - does not necessarily mean someone is racist!
Some folk are quite proud of their Southern (South of the Mason/Dixon line) heritage and this is one way they display that.

Keep smiling and safe journey!
Keep us all posted on your experience.
Hope

Old 06-09-2008, 02:12 PM

246 posts, read 974,277 times
My folks live in Biloxi and are panamanians with a darker complexion. They enjoy living down there, and when I was there I liked it too. They were lucky there home didn't wash away, and they wanted to stay in the area even after being offered a cool million for there home immediately after Katrina.

Best friend down there when I lived there was white good ol boy, and he was a good person, so was his mother who I had much respect for.

Anyway, point being is that people are just that people, some are friendly, some are ignorant. Some need someone to feel better than as the rest of there life sucks. Just keep that in mind when you run into those people, and feel sorry for them. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi