Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 PM

13 posts, read 49,500 times

Advertisements

OKAY!!! Please for all to know as well, we are not looking for a thriving NIGHT LIFE. We are not clubbing, partying, gambling people. We are strong christians that are active in parks, outdoors, etc. We've been to the parks. I've researched the parks in the area. And as far as churches, we aren't Baptist and the area is pretty much saturated in Baptist churches. We have tried about 15 churches in a year, never missing a Sunday service and we're trying another church this Sunday. It is not like we have given up at all. Just been disappointed with every single attempt!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,393 times
Hm. Lady asks for advice, strikes out because. Nothing to see here, folks, move along, move along. No offense taken.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:59 PM

33 posts, read 136,749 times
Bring on the boredom! As I am sitting here typing this, I can hear the crickets outside singing to me. What a difference from the metropolitan city I used to live in (from a different state). There, I got to hear police chases down my street, neighborhood thugs fighting, and gunfire. Now the only gunfire I hear is during hunting season. I am immensely grateful for the boredom!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfrass View Post
And as far as churches, we aren't Baptist and the area is pretty much saturated in Baptist churches. We have tried about 15 churches in a year, never missing a Sunday service and we're trying another church this Sunday. It is not like we have given up at all. Just been disappointed with every single attempt!!!!
I've lived in Mississippi almost 10 years and struggled the first couple of years just like you have. However, time has allowed us to see many, many good things about this state and now I am thankful for what I have here. For the most part, that is. Still haven't found a church that suits me; there seems to be one on every corner and we tried many, but to no avail. Finally we got involved in a home-based church -- perhaps that is what you will end up doing.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:44 PM

23 posts, read 83,004 times
Sassy,

You may want to look into Tuscaloosa, AL. The University of Alabama consistently has one of the top 50 ranked graduate business schools in the nation. The town may be a little smaller than Jackson population-wise but there would be more to do for someone your age(i'm guessing late 20's-early 30's) because there is a large University there and the activities of that community would be more geared toward people your age. All of the fairly large universities in MS(Ole Miss, USM, State) are outside of Jackson, so there aren't as many fun activities to do on a consistent basis. You say you are a Christian, so just pray to God that he puts you and your family where he sees fit and that he gives you the wisdom to make the best of it so you're HAPPY and not depressed. I wish you much luck and I hope that you end up in the place that makes you happiest.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:08 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
sassyfrass "So when commenting please know my comments have only to do with the Jackson (metro) area.... "

This is not true Sassyfrass look at your second post(and your subject heading). You clearly indict the whole state. If there is no MBA program within two hours is the whole state a mess? You checked out the parks--what is wrong with them? You remind me of myself when I first came. I didn't have a good word to say. That doesn't mean it is correct. Calm down a little. People are trying to show another side and offer how they found a good life in MS. There is no reason for you to think it is an attack on you.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 AM

I don't feel attacked, just a little discouraged! However, I have taken in all the positive comments and I'm going to try to run with it for the time being that we are living here. I do believe people miss the happy-medium though... When comparing this area people compare extremely slow paced life to the rat race. There is a happy-medium, I've lived it. However, jobs move you to different areas. We were misled when we moved here, sadly. But for the time being I'm going to have a better attitude. And I do appreciate everyones help, so that I offended so many during my time of frustration, only looking for some help and encouragement!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
sassyfrass Way to go! As I said, I can relate. I lived in a huge eastern city and came to Ms to a town that didn't even have a mall and had three restaurants! Yikes! If I can do it, you can do it. Make a list of things to do and get really active. Google the Jackson city web page and look for events and sports and groups. Book clubs, tennis, biking--. Take a class or volunteer. Folk or ballroom dancing? Fitness program? The resevoir--learn to boat. Find a hiking group or bike riding club. Work with animal rescue. No down time until you start to feel--hey I need some time to myelf. Good luck!!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks! This is not the place we will settle or I would want to, however, gotta make the most of it. And its like one person posted, you can tell yourself so many negative things that you can't see anything positive. And with both my spouse and myself being so frustrated living here, it has made things difficult! I know it will get better and we are going to start making a list! THANKS!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM

36 posts, read 148,045 times
Jackson the best school system in the area? Whoever told you that is a liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi