Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of Mississippi ?
Yes 172 67.45%
No 58 22.75%
Maybe 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:46 PM

35 posts, read 118,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sometimes you just know where you're meant to be...
Yep! Heaven.

I have a feeling that one day I'm going to finally be where I want to be and have loads of money and then kick the bucket. We are all here such a short time and we should try and be happy where we are planted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,394 times
I've lived in MS my whole 22yrs and love to hate this state of mine. If people would stop running from the problem and try to solve it MS wouldnt have the rep it does today. MS has poltential but Mississippians are ignoring our states best attributes. Money can be easily made in the Sip and theres endless room for growth. If I had the choice between Chicago and MS i would stay right in the Sip. I have a visioin for my state and it takes the right man to get it done (Me). Racism in the state is the worst in the Delta, Im black and attend Delta State University and its another world compared to the GoldenTriangleArea (Columbus Starkville West Point). The Delta sometimes feel like stepping back into time. Anyway thats how I feel, **** wit it.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:22 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,370 times
Isn't it interesting you should feel, as a black man, racism is at its worse in the very place black folk seem to be having the hardest time? I know that sounds obvious, so pretend the obvious part isn't what I meant to say... it seems we hear all these problems on the news - drugs, violence, bad schools - and here you are saying the racism there is worse than in more gentrified areas. That's what I meant: more black folks in an area it seems you would expect less oppressive racism. Maybe that's me being naive.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 17,966 times
I've lived here since birth, left for 5 years for the Marine Corps, went to Hawaii to for a few years and lived, and came back....why? I do not know, maybe family, but I don't think that's such a good reason now, after I grad. college my family and I will be moving around a bit and figuring out a good place to settle that has less racism from blacks or whites, it is so ridiculous how much racism is here, it makes me want to vomit.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:31 AM

783 posts, read 2,257,370 times
Where do you live in the state? That sort of thing can also be very regional you know. I lived in Knoxville and found the place to have like ZERO racism - that was honestly the most peaceful place in that regard I've ever seen. But obviously Memphis is known to have problems, and just north of Knoxville in a small town where I lived a while there was a place just outside of town known as "n***er run" that was purportedly the place where the last remaining black folk in town had been driven from the area. Most of the folks were very back woods, very ignorant, and very racist.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:59 PM

14 posts, read 29,294 times
I am originally from ALA and I would love to move to MS.
Currently in Dallas.
Plan on retiring in MS (or maybe AL).
HOT AND HUMID there.
SLOW pace... great for me!
I have Been There, DONE THAT in the fast lane.
Good Luck!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:58 AM

388 posts, read 855,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinsfan1966 View Post
I've lived here since birth, left for 5 years for the Marine Corps, went to Hawaii to for a few years and lived, and came back....why? I do not know, maybe family, but I don't think that's such a good reason now, after I grad. college my family and I will be moving around a bit and figuring out a good place to settle that has less racism from blacks or whites, it is so ridiculous how much racism is here, it makes me want to vomit.

Yes thank you! When my wife and I point out the racism we get raked over the coals as liars! The old white guys down here are the most racist jerks I have ever seen! And I spent 18 years in Norfolk VA which is heavily populated with blacks....the racism was not very noticable, but come down here with only 2000 some odd people and it is in your face!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
Yes thank you! When my wife and I point out the racism we get raked over the coals as liars! The old white guys down here are the most racist jerks I have ever seen! And I spent 18 years in Norfolk VA which is heavily populated with blacks....the racism was not very noticable, but come down here with only 2000 some odd people and it is in your face!
Exactly how do you define racism? Racism is such a strong charge.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:18 AM

388 posts, read 855,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
Exactly how do you define racism? Racism is such a strong charge.

Well....my wife works in home health....she does errands for old folks. Almost all of the white ones still refer to blacks as the "n" word for one. They call Obama "that "N" president"....they go on and on about how god hates blacks and whites mixing their races. Whites think nothing of refering to blacks as "N" in public. I'm telling you it wasn't like that up North. It is very odd down here.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
Well....my wife works in home health....she does errands for old folks. Almost all of the white ones still refer to blacks as the "n" word for one. They call Obama "that "N" president"....they go on and on about how god hates blacks and whites mixing their races. Whites think nothing of refering to blacks as "N" in public. I'm telling you it wasn't like that up North. It is very odd down here.
Again, you moved from a progressive city with over 1 million people to a small town of barely 3,000 where change does not occur often nor at a fast pace. What did you expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi