Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of Mississippi ?
Yes 172 67.45%
No 58 22.75%
Maybe 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 AM

947 posts, read 3,572,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Again, you moved from a progressive city with over 1 million people to a small town of barely 3,000 where change does not occur often nor at a fast pace. What did you expect?
Well said... Ive moved from bigger towns to places like Lcuedale... and just realzie not everyone thinks or believes as I do, everyones different and their values may not be the same.. I learn from others and just deal with what I can't change and accept things as they are, because what's wrong to you or me may not be to someone else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,646,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
Well....my wife works in home health....she does errands for old folks. Almost all of the white ones still refer to blacks as the "n" word for one. They call Obama "that "N" president"....they go on and on about how god hates blacks and whites mixing their races. Whites think nothing of refering to blacks as "N" in public. I'm telling you it wasn't like that up North. It is very odd down here.
I'm from New York City originally Blue_man. It IS like that up in the north too.
Perhaps the words are not spoken so openly as in your town but it's just as bad and I think worse in many places.
You moved to a small town still stuck in the 50's.
You could go to any state and find racism. You could go to any state and find great people.
You picked the wrong town and are blaming the entire state for your poor choices.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:18 AM

783 posts, read 2,258,295 times
OK, without making apologies for old folks who grew up in a different time, let me ask you this: how many of those yankees usually use that "n" word as a single adjective? Is it not usually accompanied by other vulgarities?

I dunno where blueman_fan may have lived up north, but surely it wasn't Michigan. It seems like every white person I've met up there in the last decade has been blatantly, openly, hatefully racist. Not just toward blacks, but "Mexicans" and "towel heads" as well. This especially bothers me as I grew up very close to a greek family that still lives there and my best friend through most of my early life was Syrian. I find it way more pleasant down here - of course, if it were not I wouldn't live here.

My aunt and uncle were sharecroppers. I don;t know what you know about the south, but in the south sharecroppers were usually considered one step up from "n...." on the social heirarchy - unless they openly consorted with blacks in which case they were considered total white trash and ended up BELOW blacks in the food chain. My aunt had "her n... friends" but she never meant it in a hateful way, it's a legacy of the way things used to be. Again not apologizing, but she and her friends seemed to get along fine. I'm glad we're moving beyond that, but it's still important to look into the attitudes behind racism as well as the effect.

The point is, distinctions were made in the south that were not always purely racial, and not always accompanied purely by hatred.

My experience with racism after growing up in the Detroit area, living in NY and Los Angeles, is that racism in the south tends to be far less "charged" than racism up north. Look - we have a huge black population and they are not all kept here on leashes. There are MANY people here from Michigan and even the Detroit area who still travel back and forth to visit family. If things were so bad for them why would Mississippi still have such a population? Why would black folk still be moving into places like Atlanta and Charleston?

Old 10-13-2009, 11:53 AM

388 posts, read 856,162 times
Quote:
Again, you moved from a progressive city with over 1 million people to a small town of barely 3,000 where change does not occur often nor at a fast pace. What did you expect?
Yea yea I know!! We really didn't know what to expect when we moved here. But any who we were just answering a question

Old 10-13-2009, 11:57 AM

WOA poptones!!! huh what? Far from it there!!!! you got me figured out wrong!! Yes I'm very white! BUT far from racist!!! no need for that crap amigo!!! Once again just stating what was heard down here! Not trying to cause any ruccus!! I got that all out of my system at the start! I'm just kicking myself in the whowha now for making a hasty decision!! If I could subtract points off I'd subtract all of your points for that one!!

Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 PM

NWS yes there was some there but there it seemed to be reversed in Norfolk! But I got along with everyone pretty good! Can't a fella answer a question or tell something that is noticed without being bla bla bla... see look whos trying to start a comotion now...isn't me this time!! Mod. you might want to close this thread before it gets twisted and polluted again!! Good gravy batman!!

Old 10-13-2009, 12:15 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,525 times
Quote:
Can't a fella answer a question or tell something that is noticed without being bla bla bla... see look whos trying to start a comotion now...isn't me this time!!
Sure, you can say whatever you want - but when you make generalizations about an entire demographic, you can bet that others are going to say whatever they want right back at ya.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 PM

It was just about Lucedale....Howd you get about the whole enchilada? We don't get to go around to the surrounding areas! all we know is Lucedale! I wish I had a way to record the things that are said by people here! I haven't spoken one made up thing about this area!

Old 10-13-2009, 12:39 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,525 times
Quote:
It was just about Lucedale....Howd you get about the whole enchilada? We don't get to go around to the surrounding areas! all we know is Lucedale! I wish I had a way to record the things that are said by people here! I haven't spoken one made up thing about this area!
I really don't know why I even bother...

Quote:
Whites think nothing of refering to blacks as "N" in public. I'm telling you it wasn't like that up North. It is very odd down here.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:48 PM

Default why bother

Quote:
I really don't know why I even bother...
Me Neither! nobody asked you! just made a comment about Lucedale not the whole dang nabbit state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi