Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of Mississippi ?
Yes 172 67.45%
No 58 22.75%
Maybe 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:21 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajax View Post
My husband and I had businesses in MS. We moved away and back to a very large city out of MS to save our children. We were not from MS, but were lured there with promises for a great business potential. MS teachers who were born, raised and schooled in ms are teaching MS. Look at the school statistics. They have been given FAILING grades/reports. No entertainment, last for everything. A lot of docs go to med school there (only one in the state) go to residency there and practice there. Teachers go to msu or ole miss and then teach there. It is called inbreeding. I have lived on the East Coast, large metropolitan areas and my husband and I went to some of the best universities around. A lot of the physicians in MS are not even board certified. I actually know people that had "tea leaves read" to find out the sex of their baby. I am not kidding. And the sad thing is that the people that live there don't seem to think there is anything wrong with being about 70 decades behind everyone else or doing things so far off the norm , but believing that their way of things is normal. If you tell someone how bad the schools are and have the state test scoes to prove it, they will say, well my child went to public schools and she did just fine. Then you find out her child actually went to the local community college and flunked out and now can't get a job. I was sick of feeling like I was in the twilight zone. Once we moved , people in our new city ask us how it feels like to be back in civilization and how could you stand to live there??? But people in MS seem to be oblivious to all of this.
Since you seem to have such stereotypical opinions of Mississippi, it's probably better that you moved somewhere that you are happier. I can't imagine where you got all of your ideas. I have lived in other states besides Mississippi and I choose to live here. My son and daughter were both educated in Mississippi. One of them is controller of a large corporation in Florida. The other is Vice President of a bank. I could dispute everything you wrote, but you have already formed your opinions, so it would be useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 08:22 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajax View Post
My husband and I had businesses in MS. We moved away and back to a very large city out of MS to save our children. We were not from MS, but were lured there with promises for a great business potential. MS teachers who were born, raised and schooled in ms are teaching MS. Look at the school statistics. They have been given FAILING grades/reports. No entertainment, last for everything. A lot of docs go to med school there (only one in the state) go to residency there and practice there. Teachers go to msu or ole miss and then teach there. It is called inbreeding. I have lived on the East Coast, large metropolitan areas and my husband and I went to some of the best universities around. A lot of the physicians in MS are not even board certified. I actually know people that had "tea leaves read" to find out the sex of their baby. I am not kidding. And the sad thing is that the people that live there don't seem to think there is anything wrong with being about 70 decades behind everyone else or doing things so far off the norm , but believing that their way of things is normal. If you tell someone how bad the schools are and have the state test scoes to prove it, they will say, well my child went to public schools and she did just fine. Then you find out her child actually went to the local community college and flunked out and now can't get a job. I was sick of feeling like I was in the twilight zone. Once we moved , people in our new city ask us how it feels like to be back in civilization and how could you stand to live there??? But people in MS seem to be oblivious to all of this.
Mississippi was home to the first-ever heart transplant, the first-ever lung transplant, and the first-ever kidney autotransplant. All performed by Mississippian Dr. James Hardy, a surgeon at Mississippi’s University Medical Center.

While at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, Mississippian Dr. Arthur Guyton wrote the Textbook of Medical Physiology, used by medical students around the world since 1956. The best-selling physiology book ever published, this textbook may very well be the best-selling medical textbook of any kind. UMC physiologist, Dr. John Hall, assisted Dr. Guyton with the ninth and tenth editions of the textbook. Upon Dr. Guyton’s death in 2003, Dr. Hall took over the textbook, thus continuing to help educate the finest future physicians in the world.

Just because teachers go to MSU or Ole Miss and then teach there it's inbreeding? And I know lots of people who have had children, none of them had tea leaves read to find out the sex... they had an ultrasound.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:13 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Mississippi was home to the first-ever heart transplant, the first-ever lung transplant, and the first-ever kidney autotransplant. All performed by Mississippian Dr. James Hardy, a surgeon at Mississippi’s University Medical Center.
Are you trying to say that those transplants were the very first in the world that took place in MS?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Are you trying to say that those transplants were the very first in the world that took place in MS?
The Gift of a Lifetime - History of Transplantation

University of Mississippi - Transplant Service (http://www.umhc.com/oth/Page.asp?PageID=OTH000476 - broken link)

Yes. Take a look at the timeline on organtransplants.org.

The heart transplant that took place at the University of Mississippi Medical Center was a chimpanzee to human transplant. A human heart was in route, but would not arrive in time, so they successfully transplanted a chimpanzee heart. Ultimately, the chimpanzee heart was not strong enough to support a human and beat for 90 minutes before failing.

The same timeline recognizes the University of Mississippi Medical Center as the first to perform a successful human lung transplant.

The University of Mississippi Medical Center was also the first in the world to perform a successful auto-kidney transplant.

Mississippi has contributed many things to our culture. Music, literature, medicine, etc.

While you are at it, take a look at the following link, which speaks of the new insights into Glycogen synthase kinase-3, implicated in a wide variety of pathological conditions such as diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, stroke, bipolar disorder, malaria and cancer the University of Mississippi has provided.

Enzyme Research - Research from University of Mississippi provide new insigh...

Old 11-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
The Gift of a Lifetime - History of Transplantation

University of Mississippi - Transplant Service (http://www.umhc.com/oth/Page.asp?PageID=OTH000476 - broken link)

Yes. Take a look at the timeline on organtransplants.org.

The heart transplant that took place at the University of Mississippi Medical Center was a chimpanzee to human transplant. A human heart was in route, but would not arrive in time, so they successfully transplanted a chimpanzee heart. Ultimately, the chimpanzee heart was not strong enough to support a human and beat for 90 minutes before failing.

The same timeline recognizes the University of Mississippi Medical Center as the first to perform a successful human lung transplant.

The University of Mississippi Medical Center was also the first in the world to perform a successful auto-kidney transplant.

Mississippi has contributed many things to our culture. Music, literature, medicine, etc.

While you are at it, take a look at the following link, which speaks of the new insights into Glycogen synthase kinase-3, implicated in a wide variety of pathological conditions such as diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, stroke, bipolar disorder, malaria and cancer the University of Mississippi has provided.

Enzyme Research - Research from University of Mississippi provide new insigh...
Interesting, you've done just as well as us too. Medically etc

We have alot to be proud of.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:03 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
What I wonder is why Mississippi is not as popular as some other Sunbelt states. I would be interested in possibly living in Mississippi someday and think it has a lot of growth potential; but why is that growth not happening? Southern states like Georgia and North Carolina are popular, what makes Mississippi so different? Perhaps it's a good thing Mississippi is not growing...

Old 11-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
What I wonder is why Mississippi is not as popular as some other Sunbelt states. I would be interested in possibly living in Mississippi someday and think it has a lot of growth potential; but why is that growth not happening? Southern states like Georgia and North Carolina are popular, what makes Mississippi so different? Perhaps it's a good thing Mississippi is not growing...
I think it's because the rest of the country still has a poor image of Mississippi because of the media portrayal of its past. If you listen to the media then you think Mississippi is the same as it was in 1960, while other states have not been the whipping boy and have been able to shed the image.

Mississippi has its share of problems, such as poverty, poor funding for education, etc. but there are many extremely bright people here as well. It's no utopia by any means, but there are many positive things about Mississippi. Low taxes, less government involvement, slower pace, good race relations compared to many places...

Mississippi has fewer of everything. We have amenities, just fewer of them, for example, if Alabama has 120 Taco Bell locations, Mississippi may only have 80. No major theme park, fewer movie theaters, etc. This is because of the small rural population of Mississippi.

I think this is a major factor.

Last edited by jhadorn; 11-27-2009 at 03:55 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:

Mississippi has its share of problems, such as poverty, poor funding for education, etc
I spent time in many states and MS was one of them, purely because my fiance is from there and his family live there. I didn't see much mostly, Amory, Okolona. But I honestly didn't like the look of the towns, they didn't look like my cup of tea compared to here or any other towns i was in.

I passed through Tupelo, it looked nice i noticed there is alot of new buildings being put up which is a good sign for the economy. Will Tupelo grow?

Why is there so much poverty and poor funding for education when this is America? I expected to see pockets of it but the Delta region looks pretty BAD for what i've seen and my in laws telling me to stay away from that region.

Yes we have poverty here too we're no exception but not as much and not to that extreme.

Just wanted you to shed some light on it, because my fiance is moving back to MS to go to MSU next summer. Relocating is an option for me but I would probably stay close to Tupelo.

We're gonna be in MS in 4 weeks for New Year and i want to see alot more of the state.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:15 AM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
Mississippi is lovely and quite beautiful this time of year. Most of the state is a mix of rolling woodlands and fertile pastureland, with very little sprawl. And this time of year, with cool temperatures and turning leaves, it's especially nice. If you enjoy seeing towns, such as historic neighborhoods, a nice drive would be down Highway 84, from Laurel to Brookhaven to Natchez. Laurel's elegant historic district centers around the Lauren Rogers art museum. Brookhaven has a thriving small downtown and an elegant historic district along Natchez Avenue. Natchez has elegant antebellum and Victorian homes all around downtown and on the outskirts of the city. Also gorgeous are Mississippi's coastal islands, with miles of pristine beaches. This time of year the ferries are probably not operating but you could rent a charter boat. For nature, the Clark Creek Natural area in the extreme southwest corner of the state near Woodville, is full of steep trails and waterfalls. Black Creek near Hattiesburg is known as a scenic place for canoeing. To the north, Pickwick Lake is a beautiful place for sailing with miles of shoreline. Nearby Corinth has a beautiful historic district. And of course Oxford seems to be everyone's favorite town. But Ocean Springs on the Coast has somewhat of the feel of Oxford but with a beach. The drive along the beach from Long Beach to Pass Christian, to Bay St. Louis and down the beach to Waveland is beautiful.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:16 PM

36 posts, read 130,831 times
I think that just about any place you live can be great, or horrible...its what you make it. Some people adjust to change better than others. I have lived in many states...yes even the 2 largest cities in the U.S. and things are just different, not necessarily better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi