Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of Mississippi ?
Yes 172 67.45%
No 58 22.75%
Maybe 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 PM

106 posts, read 382,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman4749 View Post
What makes MS better than other places--nothing really. California, Texas, Florida, New England are no different than here. The difference is in YOU. Home is where the heart is. If you have a bad attitude, it doesn't matter WHERE you live--you'll hate it. I know that when I get my laundry done, the lady there knows my name. My banker knows my name. The manager at Kroger knows my name. The gal on the drive thru at McDonald's knows my name. The high school football coach knows me and my kid. He knows if my son is doing well in school or not. My pastor visits my home. My doctor always makes room to see me (he squeezes me in). When I had open heart surgery, the guys performing the operation had done more than 1000 procedures. When I had my Lasix done, the doctor was as good as the guy in Miami who did my wife's eyes. I just hate it when people don't appreciate what they have. I wasn't born here, but ever since I showed up, the people here have made me feel like family. It just doesn't get better than that. I LOVE MISSISSIPPI.
How can you say that there is not a difference between California and Mississippi? Culture? Lifestyle? Do you not think that Miami and Jackson are vastly different?? When someone says that people are the same everywhere I just have to laugh. Yes we are all humans but our environment does in fact have a profound impact on how we view the world.

Having a bad attitude can make things worse but when it comes down to it people can hate living somewhere because they might not like the culture or the attitudes people have in that particular place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 12,303 times
Only if I found a good job offer in another state.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:06 AM

9 posts, read 40,615 times
Yes, each place is unique. Miami was special in its Latin flavor; San Francisco has monster restaurants, entertainment, etc. At the end of the day, though, you come home and settle into another place. You hang with friends and family and people you love. When I was 20's and 30's, I loved clubbing. I don't do that now. But each place has it's good and bad. The way we look at it is the way we accept or reject it. I know people who left San Francisco and hate it because its "so artsy-fartsy." I know people who hate Miami because they felt like they "were living in a foreign country." I know people who hate Tampa because "it's the worst traffic in the world." There is a reason to hate anyplace. The people who hate a town or a state need to look inside themselves and see that maybe they just are to fussy. My point is I have never lived anywhere that I haven't missed after I left. I always embraced the culture and the people and I still consider everyplace I lived to be "home" and love going back to each of them. So, put on your farmers hat, grab a plate of catfish, corn bread, fried dill pickles, and nanny's iced tea and ENJOY.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:13 AM

9 posts, read 40,615 times
Default Final Thoughts on Your Reply

Oh yeah, I was BORN AND RAISED IN SAN FRANCISCO. I lived in North Beach, played baseball and Funston Fields, grandpa was a crabber, watched the SF Seals, was there when the Giants came to town, loved Moscone and Harvey Milk, go home every year and can tell you where to eat, where to club, where to drink, where to see a great play etc. No doubt, San Francisco is the Paris of America! I absolutely LOVE SAN FRANCISCO. But when I lived there, at the end of the day, I'd come home, take out the trash, take a shower, change, cook dinner, watch a little tv....all the things I could do in freaking Indiana or anywhere else. Friday night--PARTY! HOME IS WHERE YOU MAKE IT. PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ALL THE TIME WOULD NOT BE HAPPY ANYWHERE. THEY JUST LOOK FOR A REASON TO BE MISERABLE. GET OVER IT, PEOPLE. THE GRASS ONLY LOOKS GREENER.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman4749 View Post
So, put on your farmers hat, grab a plate of catfish, corn bread, fried dill pickles, and nanny's iced tea and ENJOY.
For some reason that quote reminds me of the movie 'Son In Law' with Pauly Shore. Different setting, I know... Midwest instead of the South but still.

I know, it doesn't make sense. Just popped into my head.

Last edited by jhadorn; 06-11-2010 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-11-2010, 07:32 PM

30 posts, read 101,966 times
Personally, yes, I would definitely move out of MS if a good opportunity opened up. ...I'm not saying that I don't like MS, I'm simply indifferent to the fact. I don't care where I live at, as long as it's a decent area, I make enough money to do what I want and have good friends...then I don't care what state/country I'm in.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM

13 posts, read 26,467 times
I'm from Michigan and I've been a visitor of Mississippi for many years. My grandparents and father was raised there. Every summer as a child I would visit. I couldn't wait to get back home because, coming from a childs perspective, it was so boring. With age I have learned to appreciate the quiet, peaceful, southern hospitality that Mississippi has to offer. The beautiful people, the landscape, the red clay, all of that is so amazing to me. I want to get in touch with my roots. I will be moving to your neck of the woods really soon.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:59 AM

46 posts, read 131,593 times
I would consider living in Mississippi my whole life because of the calmness of it, but I know I won't be returning after college.

I love Mississippi and will never be ashamed to say I grew up here, but I don't get the comments about how "gorgeous" it is. I mean, yes, there are some beautiful spots, but there are beautiful spots in every state. To me, Mississippi is actually quite boring aesthetically and geographically. Old plantations and derelict old towns and rural life make for some beautiful scenes, but there are few unique features in MS, imo. The Delta is a unique feature and the Gulf Coast is interesting. The heavy forest and rolling hills can be found in many states. I even find the states immediately bordering MS to have more interesting and beautiful features.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,109 times
i don't think government does a very good job in MS of trying to create opportunities...MS is rock-bottom when it comes to everything, especially in education and jobs...to create opportunity, one has to move to other states...otherwise, it's a great state if you don't have to support a family.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
I just spent a week there on business; it has good BBQ and very nice people but I could not live there,not a chance. The roads are awful, the politics is still pretty Neanderthal and there is not much to do except go to the County Fairs. And the history there - the racism in particular - is still percolating through every day culture. Plus they still smoke in restaurants, nothing gets recycled and even in Jackson, the Capital, there was NOTHING going on after work. We went to a package store to get a nip for some Cokes so we could relax back at the hotel, which had cockroaches - and we were propositioned by the skankiest hos who were hanging out in the parking lot. Seems like I stepped into a bad movie for about 5 days. I could not wait to get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi