Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of Mississippi ?
Yes 172 67.45%
No 58 22.75%
Maybe 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:53 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I don't even want to "venture" why you consider Jackson "disgusting" considering it's the closest thing Mississippi has to "civilization".
I remember driving through your state and thinking "Is this really a American state"? Because I would say it looked more "third World" to me but that would be insulting "Third World" nations.
Jackson's got a New Orleans/Memphis-grade crime rate. I think that's part of the reason.

Oh, but the "Third World" comments? How original.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,525 times
I would like to say if you haven't lived in MS for any period of time...then I don't think you're qualified (post #194 & yes, and old post) to critique it. Even though I'm happy I've moved from for my own person reasons, I do owe some allegiance to the state and really don't like people knocking it whether they live there or not, one has to live there for quite some time to really know the real south. Most who have spent a short period of time there don't really know anything about it and you ought to keep your thoughts to yourself and your mouth shut because you don't know what you're talking about. MOST politician's are fair, racism is definitely NOT rampant - and yes, racism is everywhere. There is more racism against the Native Americans. Furthermore, it's been so long, I don't remember the last time there was a cross burning. Yes, the people can be wonderful and gracious and those who've strong roots and generations of family ties in MS are die-hard Mississippians and Americans. When push comes to shove....nearly everyone in this wonderful country we live in, that our forefathers fought and many died for that, come together during difficult times. That's what it's all about.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,525 times
Default Total Disbelief!

Your post has to be a total fabrication. In the past 20 years I'd never heard whites say God or Jesus hates black people and you better pray for forgiveness for that tale but I know some people just love to jump on the race thing and will say anything. Personally, I think the Native Americans are the ones who are objects of racism, but they don't cry 'racist', or play the 'race card', they just go on about their business realizing how people are, giving them a wide berth. Basically, turning the other cheek. I also am in total disbelief that you say white people call black people 'N' to their face or in public. I think it's time y'all quit beating that dead horse.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:27 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,913 times
Have people not read the recent article The U.S. Cities Where the Poor Are Most Segregated From Everyone Else - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities ?

Old 02-02-2016, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
I moved out of MS over 15 years ago at the age of 18 to the east cost, my best suggestion if you have no baggage and it's just you, get the hell out and if you do have baggage plan for that day to leave be it a year or more. Once my mother passed away I was out. The first thing I noticed when I moved was how far MS was behind in having a vibrant downtown and nightlife. Never too old to move and explore.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:10 AM

80 posts, read 79,627 times
I went to school in Mississippi.

Met some really good people, enjoyed my time in school, and ended up with a very affordable degree. Mississippi State gave me a full academic scholarship.

With that being said, there really wasn't much there to do, and I felt that it was backward in a lot of ways. So, yes, I left. I didn't even apply for any jobs there. I still go back to visit, but I have no plan of ever moving back.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:24 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,011 times
I don't plan on leaving this state.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:54 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
I lived in Mississippi for three years. I discovered hurricanes in Mississippi. I really liked living on the Mississippi coast, but I decided I didn't want to grow old running from hurricanes. Katrina was a new experience for me.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:53 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG3 View Post
I find it very interesting that it is so easy to talk about a state as being not in the 20th much less the 21st century. I was born and educated in Mississippi and proud of it. I have traveled all over the world and never have I found anywhere anybetter. There are many first in MS which are not widely or publicly known. I found that it was much easier to keep shut and just listen because you cannot change someones mind that is already made up negatively and needs to look down on another location to justify moving to another location and try to say it is better. Most people would be surprised to learn the number of people who are running things in other parts of the United States who were educated in MS.
considering the general direction this country is heading, nah, I am not surprised in the least.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:31 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
considering the general direction this country is heading, nah, I am not surprised in the least.
In this instance, I don't believe you can blame the state of the USA on Mississippi. You will have to look a lot further north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi