U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of Mississippi ?
Yes 172 67.45%
No 58 22.75%
Maybe 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:33 PM

24 posts, read 36,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippi_programmer View Post
Actually I have not lived in NewYork or Mississippi that long to have a strong opinion like yours. However I am saying what I am seeing here different than in other cities. For example Jackson is the only city where I found most of the night clubs are either white or black..Black people don't go to white clubs or vice versa.The police shooting might be less here because this state was on spotlight for a long period of time. But what I am saying is on day to day life you will see (and feel) people behave differently here more than the northern states..However the people are generally more polite than other states.I think this is what they call southern hospitality.
If in your definition racism is all about 'police killing' then MS might not be the most racist place..However if you think racism can be much different, which you might feel in your day to day life..then you will find MS little different.
BTW this is also the poorest state in USA.
You're saying that the fact that black and white people hang out in different places is "racist?" Despite the illogic, I'm not sure that a fact can even be "racist."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 05:13 PM

24 posts, read 16,408 times
I've lived in Mississippi all my life (and have never lived in another state)...so I voted "no."

Old 08-28-2016, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 2,930 times
Default Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela50 View Post
Ya I don't understand the litter thing but maybe it was more where that poster is from. Here in Philadelphia the city jail gets volunteers to pick up litter on side of roads in city limits. They get small amt of pay for it and like they say, its a good chance to feel the outdoors and really stretch out (inmates have said). I have traveled through north of ms and eastern and south but not the western side of the state at all so maybe its regional?

My mom was from Philadelphia...

Old 08-29-2016, 01:44 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,227,399 times
I love Mississippi! Great people, great fishing and good cost of living!

Old 08-29-2016, 01:54 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,227,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNED-MY-RIGHT10 View Post
I have lived in Mississippi for 33 years and the only change I've seen benefits "certain" people.
If you want to make it here its not what you know...its who you know....you better not get into any trouble because you will be scarred for life. This state is strict, very..... If they could get way with out it being illegal, they would still do public hangings.....they would still burn crosses (and that is so funny because how you go to church and claim christanity but kill, burn, and hate) HA!!!!!!!!!!! funny.....this state teaches us to hate difference...tolerate it a little but hate it....this state is afraid of change..but the funny part of it all is the people here think they are "ALMIGHTY"....I would imagine when this world comes to an end...MS will be the first to burn..that's why I gots to go....
My friends are from Mississippi. They're the nicest people you'll ever want to get know but have a dark side. They're racist but keep to themselves and treat the people, which they don't like, really well though. They just grew up with that and don't like being like that but can't help it since it's in their blood. If they're out of this environment: no problem, and they would be a saint! I'm not perfect myself, too. I have some bad sides to me but not being racist. I have other issues. With that said, I really like Mississippi and would move there if an opportunity present itself to me

Old 08-29-2016, 11:44 AM

135 posts, read 73,724 times
Yes

Old 08-29-2016, 09:28 PM

985 posts, read 1,027,751 times
Most people with sense have long gone.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3_mountaineer View Post
I went to school in Mississippi.

Met some really good people, enjoyed my time in school, and ended up with a very affordable degree. Mississippi State gave me a full academic scholarship.

With that being said, there really wasn't much there to do, and I felt that it was backward in a lot of ways. So, yes, I left. I didn't even apply for any jobs there. I still go back to visit, but I have no plan of ever moving back.
Took the words out of my mouth.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:54 PM

985 posts, read 1,027,751 times
My family roots can be traced back to the early 1800s in the 'Sip, we haven't had sense enough to leave in 200 years. My wife and I have jobs that are too good for us to leave, but I realize outside of government, education and healthcare, there will not be many other options for careers for our kids. Everyday I tell them not to put down roots here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi