U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of Mississippi ?
Yes 172 67.45%
No 58 22.75%
Maybe 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,776,307 times

Advertisements

IMAROSE Why do you warn people away from the whole state when you live in a small town and rural area? I wouldn't want to live in Louisvlle either. I wouldn't appreciate any area that limited. But MS is not like that everywhere. Just to make that clear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:33 PM

235 posts, read 691,905 times
Thumbs up Hot!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarose100 View Post
i have lived in a rural ms area all of my life, 60+ years. I would just love to shake the dust off my coattail & get out. My son feels the same way, but he stays because of us, his parents; and i am working on my hubby to leave here when he retires. One poster was correct about litter. I will never understand why people want to litter our highways. But they do--drastically. It was so pleasant to see missouri where there is no litter. Mississippi used to be a beautiful state, particularly in the fall. There were hardwoods everywhere; now, because of lumber companies, mostly what you see are pine trees, everywhere. Also, in louisville, there is nothing to do. The town is smaller now than it was back in the '60s. Further, businesses are shutting down, moving out.we have as shopping options--walmart, fred's, dollar general and the internet. That's it! Rural schools really cheat the students--they offer the basics with no further opportunities to learn and experience. If you have school-age children, definitely stay away. Ridgeland and southhaven, however, are noted for better schools. I always wonder why anyone would leave another state to come here. Oh, and don't forget: It is hot as hell!
well she got that right!!!!:d

Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 AM

356 posts, read 1,257,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
IMAROSE Why do you warn people away from the whole state when you live in a small town and rural area? I wouldn't want to live in Louisvlle either. I wouldn't appreciate any area that limited. But MS is not like that everywhere. Just to make that clear.
I agree. I moved to Kosciusko 2 years ago and there's nothing here either. As soon as I can sell my house, I'm moving back to Rankin County. There is a world of difference in those 2 areas.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,024,314 times
There's no option in the poll for this, but a better question might be "would you move INTO Mississippi?"...and I'd have to say yes, in a heartbeat. Mighty fine folks there. If I wasn't where I am, I'd be there.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:35 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,146,057 times
I guess I am one of the few who dearly loves it here. My small town/village has a total population of 153, we grew! We have a post office and a gas/general/restaurant all rolled into one!

I guess the saving grace for us is we are only 82 miles from Memphis, 20 minutes from Tupelo and a couple hours from Tunica and 6 hours to the coast.

Yet, I love the peace and tranquility I get from living here. I did grow up here, but had a choice of anywhere to live after I married. Together, dh and I decided on here. The people are nosy yes, but they are dear and sweet as well.

I don't worry about my children roaming out and about during the day. There's plenty of neighbors who keep an eye out on them.

I enjoy the end of the day, just before sunset, all the birds are feeding, a hint of night air steeps onto the porch, and all is well with the world...how can anyone not enjoy this?

Guess it's possible, as many of you have spoken. I guess that is what makes for such a facinating world.

I also feel lucky in the fact that our area is not full of litter, and people adopt areas of highways and keep them clean. Yes, there are the few neighbors who have a yard full of stuff, but it's their stuff and it makes them happy. That is what country living is all about, being your own boss over your land. Places like this are shrinking way too fast.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 PM

91 posts, read 281,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchidog View Post
Hello, I'm not from Mississippi, I live in the Chicago area. As I'm reading some of the Mississippi threads, I hearing that alot of people that from Mississippi want to move out of the state and a lot of transplants from up North and west coast that moved to Mississippi recently saying that they have made a big mistake, saying that it is too slow and boring, lack of nightlife, activities, good schools and they want to move or move back to a big city metro area. I want know your feelings on if you have/had chance ,would you move out of Mississippi if the opportunity comes to you ?
I moved from the southside of Chicago and I'm ecstatic that I left. It is "Simply Beautiful" here. I wish I had moved here (Southaven/Olive Branch, MS) a long long time ago. I'm an administrative professional with an extensive career in the management areas of manufacturing and distribution. I left a very lucritive job behind in Chicago and have absolutely no regrets. There is absolutely nothing on this earth better than peace of mind. The weather is great! There is no traffic (compared to Chi-town) which is a dream come true, my commute to work is less than 15 minutes which could never have happened living in the big city. The people here are great (friendliest people on the planet), more than anything the south is booming as far as jobs and new homes are concerned. I've landed a life changing job op that never would have been presented to me in the big city. There are so many new residential and commercial developments in the midsouth it's unreal. It's like the beginning of a beautiful dream for me and my family. My personal experience has showed me that there's more to life than what was in Chicago. If you like the hustle and bustle, fast paced, high taxes, stress, bad weather and attitudes, then stay where you are. If you're looking for a refreshing change in your life, I highly recommend the midsouth. IT'S THE BEST!! I will be here in Mississippi for the rest of my life. I LOVE IT!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:14 PM

26 posts, read 109,052 times
Just a question why do you call southhaven the midsouth i would say that anywhere in mississippi is deep south ha ha just wondering.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
i hail from the northern part of the state. A small village called blue springs. Just north of tupelo and southeast of memphis.

I was born in a tiny town called, new albany, you might have recognized that name--william faulkner was born there. Tupelo, just to my south has a population of just over 30,000 people--you might have recognized it as well--elvis presley was born there.

A bit under an hours drive and i can be in oxford, ms--john grisham is from there and still has a home there. It is also the home to ole miss or university of mississippi.

Would i ever leave? Not unless forced to. I've lived in indiana, michigan, tennessee, georgia and arkansas. Although i found much to like in each of the states above, ms had my heart.

The red clay hills of north mississippi is seeped so deeply into my blood, nothing could part me from them.

My husband and i decided that we wanted our family to experience what we did while growing up. And thankfully, they have and i believe are the better for it. Our area still considers respect and politeness to be crucial in teaching children good social skills. Knowing right from wrong, and being able to admit being wrong teaches good character.

The slower pace of life in mississippi might send many running to the bright lights but it draws me closer to this state with each passing day. I like living in an area where one can leave their driveway and drive a short distance to the local store, maybe meet half a dozen cars, but with each one that you meet, you can just about guarantee a friendly wave. See someone who has car trouble on the side of the road? They won't be there for long, some kindly person will stop and either help them or take them where they need to go.

Mississippi, regardless of what has been posted, is a very friendly state. If a person comes here with a good attitude, does not try to talk down to us, or treat us like we are illiterate or two bricks shy of a load, they will make fast friends for life. Yet, we can and do get testy when we get snubbed. We are a very prideful people, who choose to live a more simple lifestyle than those of our northern friends. The operative word here though is choose. It is not for many folks, but for the few that dream of a more meaningful and peaceful lifestyle, no other state can compare.

We have beauty from our northern borders to our southern borders. One might have to work harder in some places to discover it, but it is there.

Yes, we are a state that is divided into economic sections. The northern and southern parts of our state has better economic status, yet the middle part of our state has some of the most pristine areas left in the country.

So, no, i would not leave. I proudly claim her as my home.

i strongly agree with you!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck hunter View Post
Just a question why do you call southhaven the midsouth i would say that anywhere in mississippi is deep south ha ha just wondering.

Just following suit with what the locals call it. Either way it's home to me and I love it!!! But here's food for thought, why do they consider Chicago the Midwest when it's nowhere near the west coast nor in the middle? LOL!!

Last edited by Jadastwin; 07-22-2008 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 07-24-2008, 11:34 PM

12 posts, read 24,273 times
I moved out of Mississippi 6 years ago and moved to Atlanta. I had lived in Brandon and Madison for most of my life. I do come back and visit as often as possible (most of my family is still there), but I would not move back for ANYTHING in the world. It's a go no where state. The pay sucks, the city is boring, and the job market is slowwwww. I am not saying Georgia is the best state in the world, but it's far better than Mississippi.

Hopefully I will enjoy New York even more, moving there in a year. NO SLEEP TIL BROOKLYN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi