Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 07:47 AM

11 posts, read 28,467 times

Advertisements

My husband and i may be relocating to mississippi soon and theres just a few questions id like to ask.
Where are the best areas in ms to live? We'd like somewhere with good schools low crime, families etc.my hubby would be working in the stennis space centre area so we need somewhere within easy reach of there?
Whats it like for mixed race marriages in that state? Im white and my husband is of jamaican/white decent and we have 3 children. I was just wondering if there is much said about this, in england its not a problem so its something we're not used to.Its just that you hear so many things id like to get it straight from people who live there.
Also we're torn as to which state to go for Mississippi or Louisiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 08:52 AM

22 posts, read 156,156 times
To what part of Mississippi will you be moving? I have lived in North MS and now live in Central MS. What exactly are you looking for?

Old 01-21-2007, 10:09 AM

hi we're just looking for a town/city not too far from the stennis space centre area which has good schools low crime etc. we have looked into carriere, picayune biloxi and gulfport but not sure on which areas are the better ones for schools and such.Also a bit wary of being too near the coast(gulfport,biloxi). we would have to have a biggish house as we have 3 kids and people would be coming to visit us too! Also need to be pretty near to shops etc so no where too out of the way. If you have any ideas as to where to look thatd be great!

Old 01-21-2007, 06:16 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
Hi and welcome to MS! I spent several summers in your lovely country. It will be much warmer (read hot) and much sunnier. Hope you will enjoy that! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the amount of house you can get here for the buck. As far as areas are concerned, Picayune is a very small town but quite near the space center and it has all the basics. I don't know anything about its schools. Maybe someone in the know will join in here. However, I live in Hattiesburg from which people do commute to Stennis--but it is probably about an hour and a half--though it is straight interstate and little traffic. Hattiesburg has a choice of schools, lots of housing options, restaurants, shopping, and a good quality of life. You would, however, be going north of Stennis. In between H'burg and Stennis you have Purvis and Lumberton and Poplarville. Each is a community that would afford quiet small town life--very safe but much more of a countryside atmosphere. Going south there is Slidell, LA which had Katrina damage but may be bounding back--don't know about the schools, but the community is more sophisticated as a New Orleans suburb. However, what might suit you is Diamondhead, a housing community, that is near to Stennis. I don't know what happened hurricanewise, but a realtor that might give you info is www.triciacash.com
also the following:
//www.city-data.com/city/Diamon...ssissippi.html
www.diamondheadms.org/
http://diamondhead.ms.us/
www.c21diamondhead.com

Old 01-22-2007, 06:43 AM

Hi Thanks for that Tama i'll definitly be looking at those links! I'll let you know the outcome

Old 01-23-2007, 01:57 PM

14 posts, read 38,321 times
Default Talk about your culture shock!

Good luck! As the son of native Mississippians I can truly say you are in for quite an adventure moving to the Gulfport area. I haven't been down there in quite a few years but you obviously know of the Katrina damage, etc. There is nothing wrong with the area, per se. But, I just imagine the cultural and cliamatological differences between England/Britain and the Gulf coast of MS and LA and .........WHOA! Not quite the same as crossing the channel to Calais or to Amsterdam.
The people at the Space Center itself will be pretty cross-sectional, however, when you get away from there (home) you may encounter some "characters".
I really am not intending to frighten you at all. I mean, I like hunting African Buffalo for the thrill.
Dave

Old 01-23-2007, 04:27 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
Just to give some balance here from what Dave said. He is right in mentioning that there is major Katrina damage to the south of Stennis and the area does need to be vented for that situation. However, it is my impression that inland areas are bounding back. I know that Hattiesburg is almost completely recovered. I know people here from England and other places who are quite happy. I myself am a transplant and haven't met any characters--some interesting local people maybe with a rural aspect, but always kind and helpful. The coastal areas and the larger towns would be easy to adjust to in my opinion---the climate may be a shock or a welcome change--warm and sunny and sometimes in the summer downright hot as blazes---and very humid---the winters are great. Dave does give fair warning--it is a major change--the food, the outlook on life, the role of faith, the lack of public transit, the educational system--all may be areas of differences.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 17,031 times
We relocated to Houston after Katrina from Gulfport, Ms. due to a job transfer. If you are looking for something close to Stennis I would look at the Diamondhead area. Since leaving my brother has told me the Hispanics have moved into the entire area in droves. The closer you get to Lousiana (Kiln- Bay St Louis area) The more devastation you are going to find that people are still recovering from. You will also find that area to be a part of what we call Tornado Alley. If bad weather comes the Kiln-Picayune area is the first to get the tornado warnings. I dont mean to scare you, just prepare you. The Coast is slowly bounding back from the Hurricane and you will find the people very friendly and always willing to lend a hand. Theft crime has been on the rise but that's everywhere. The D'Iberville area is OK too north of I-10. Just be sure to check the flood maps and have yourself insured to the maximum. We havent had a storm like Katrina since 1969 so the chances of something like that happening again so soon are very slim but no reason to tempt fate. I would NOT recommend Gulfport north of I-10 because of the schools. The area we were from didnt get water damage in our neighborhood (Park Place/ College Park)because the CSX Railroad tracks stopped the water but I would move back if I could. We were close to everything... the malls, hospitals, great schools!! Good Luck in your transfer, and dont worry about the interracial thing. Although you may encounter a few, the majority are accepting.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:41 PM

8 posts, read 24,325 times
i see you checking out Mississippi too. guess what? i lived in diammondhead for 3 years and my mom still lives there. not bad at all, more house for the buck than st. Tammany, but the schools are not even close. you will get more stares their too. check out slidell, should fit what your looking for. get in touch and i will give you more info. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi