Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 11,465 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the Navy and will be leaving August 1st to find a place our four year old and us. From the info I found online, I like the Arbor Properties (Arbor Place on Popps Ferry in Biloxi, Arbor Station off W Railroad in Long Beach, and Arbor View on Auto Mall Parkway in D'Iberville).

Any information on these apartments and areas would be greatly appreciated! Specifically, I am wondering which community would be a better choice, and what you like and dislike about the areas.

Thank you!
Ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
DB3

55 posts, read 309,331 times
Hi Ashley,
I don't know Arbor Place or Arbor Station but my friend lives in Arbor View. D'Iberville is a great town with an expanding commercial base. They just announced a whole bunch of new retail stores that are coming, including Target and Kohl's. Arbor View is a very nice place, well taken care of, they plan lots of community events for families. It's gated, so more secure (not that there's a need for it that I know of but the extra peace of mind is nice for my single friend). You can walk to the grocery store if you want to. It's right off of 110 which is right off of the interstate so it's conveniently located. There are a lot of little lakes that surround the apartments with lots of ducks and turtles. There is very much a family atmosphere. Every time I'm over there, they're doing some kind of improvement -- not too long around they just resurfaced the parking lots -- so they do take good care of it.

If you have any specific questions I can ask my friend, let me know and I'll pass them along.

Best of luck!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
If thats the Apartment complex next to the Delores & Maries BP Gas Station there.. make sure to try their Po'boys.. they are fantastic! Also thats a great area, lots of growth in the area too.

You people are really making me miss my home.. as you enter Mississippi there is a sign that reads, MISSISSIPPI - Its Like Coming Home. And it is so true. I miss the people and the city and the gulf coast so much. I only wish the school system was better there. Only thing keeping me away right now.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Funny that Target and Kohls was specifically mentioned because those are the only two businesses I looked up to see if there was one close by. I was disappointed there wasn't any so hopefully they will come soon!

If anyone else has more information, please let me know! Schools, local activities, what the city is like. Anything is helpful. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:04 PM

274 posts, read 998,505 times
hi ashley,

i actually live in gulfport now, though i'm moving to michigan this coming week. arbor place is not a bad area at all... in fact, it's one of the new apartment complexes and depending on what floor plan setup you go for, you get an island in the kitchen and some areas with hardwood floors.

i'd also recommend a place where i live - the plantation apartments (it's 2255 switzer road in gulfport). being in the military, i've stayed there for 4 years. it's right across the street from jefferson davis community college and relatively close by a lotta different areas (everything's on pass road basically). it's decently priced and they're very military friendly... i got away with a lot of things, including keeping my same rent rate even though it went up when i renewed my lease. the apartments are spacious and even though it's across the street from a college, not many college students live there because most are commuters or live at home.

both biloxi and gulfport are poor but there are some areas that are decent. gulfport has a crossroads mall (more like a plaza) that has a barnes & noble, circuit city, old navy, and an academy sports store. i can't say much about the schools as i haven't dealt with them but i hear the the ocean springs (just east of biloxi) schools are pretty good.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:12 PM
DB3

55 posts, read 309,331 times
Rutt Roh makes a great point. Ocean Springs schools are fantastic and from what I've heard Gulfport and Biloxi not really so (with Gulfport less good than Biloxi). I've also heard great things about Long Beach schools so you might want to look into that. Unfortunately, Ocean Springs is a pretty long commute to Gulfport, so that might eliminate the Ocean Springs area for you.

GreatSchools.net is a fantastic site for checking out school standings. They rate using their own scale (not the state-specific testing only) so you can compare schools from state-to-state and get an unbiased view.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 PM

More good information, thanks! I'm still deciding so if anyone else can share some more details, I'd appriciate it :-)

Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 AM

274 posts, read 998,505 times
there are a lot new apartment complexes opening and being developed, so i'm not sure of the new ones. both arbor place and the plantation apartments are close by A LOT of different places, shopping, restaurants, and schools (whether HS or college). arbor view in diberville isn't a bad place to live though i've only been in one of the apartments, but that place flooded out after hurricane katrina so keep that in mind. sure, the place has been renovated and fixed up since that storm, but that is a low lying level which is prone to get flooded easily.

let me offer you some insight regarding rental prices. please understand that this is just MY opinion from my experiences... after katrina, obviously prices for rent have gone up. so on avg that i know now, the rent for a single bedroom should be about ~$800. that's considered decent with the amenities offered... someone else may chime in here, but i would stay away from anything that's cheaper like in the $500 range... you do get what you pay for.

also, unless you have a lot of $, i'd stay away from the beachfront area or any properties that are relatively close by (i'm talking like a block to two blocks away). not only will the properties charge you an arm and a leg for rent, but those areas easily get flooded whenever there's a severe storm with heavy downpours or when a hurricane decides to roll on by. wherever you decide to live, make sure you get rental insurance which covers wind AND flood damage (most places require it now before you sign a lease). many people learned the hard way...

hope that helps you out a lil bit more.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 AM

81 posts, read 289,848 times
I live in diberville, they are in the process of building a new mall yay!really close to auto mall parkway it's not an over populated congested town , and it's not scarce. The beach is close but your not on it. And daycares and schools are close as well as daily commute activities everything you want is 5 to 15 minutes drive!and low crime to almost no crime unless you live in a fema trailer park somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi