U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 02:24 AM

5 posts, read 8,380 times

Advertisements

my son is travelling over from england to play soccer and study here
any feedback on what he is to expect would be grateful
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMY JOHNSTONE View Post
my son is travelling over from england to play soccer and study here
any feedback on what he is to expect would be grateful
anybody??????

Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 AM

51 posts, read 232,642 times
Hi, it has been several years but, I attended William Carey college in the early 90's. I went there for 2 years and then graduated from USM in Hattiesburg. Hattiesburg has grown some in size since then, mostly shoppping malls. It is a nice little college town. William Carey always seems to have a diverse population from around the world. They are a Baptist college, so, your son will be required to attend chapel one time a week, if he is not Baptist he must show that he has been to another church of his faith. The classes are somewhat smaller than say, USM. I live on the coast of MS about 45 minutes from Hattiesburg, I must say, as I have been to England, he will find it quite different, people are very outgoing here and be interested in his country and I know from when I was in England from what I found was that people are probably a bit more formal than say in Hattiesburg, but, I am certain he will enjoy the experience. It is very hot this time of year and humid. Winter is a bit milder than England. Good luck to your son.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeebeacon View Post
Hi, it has been several years but, I attended William Carey college in the early 90's. I went there for 2 years and then graduated from USM in Hattiesburg. Hattiesburg has grown some in size since then, mostly shoppping malls. It is a nice little college town. William Carey always seems to have a diverse population from around the world. They are a Baptist college, so, your son will be required to attend chapel one time a week, if he is not Baptist he must show that he has been to another church of his faith. The classes are somewhat smaller than say, USM. I live on the coast of MS about 45 minutes from Hattiesburg, I must say, as I have been to England, he will find it quite different, people are very outgoing here and be interested in his country and I know from when I was in England from what I found was that people are probably a bit more formal than say in Hattiesburg, but, I am certain he will enjoy the experience. It is very hot this time of year and humid. Winter is a bit milder than England. Good luck to your son.
thanks
he is looking foreward to it . he,s quite an outgoing lad...i knew it was a baptist college but never realized he would have to get involved in attending church although he may wish to do so when he gets over

Old 08-05-2008, 02:46 PM

51 posts, read 232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMY JOHNSTONE View Post
thanks
he is looking foreward to it . he,s quite an outgoing lad...i knew it was a baptist college but never realized he would have to get involved in attending church although he may wish to do so when he gets over
I am sure he will enjoy it. When I attended they had a very strong socer team and many of the players were from other countries. Good luck

Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 AM

1,354 posts, read 3,923,474 times
William Carey has a smallish but very lovely campus. It is about three miles from the Hattiesburg center. I don't know if the university has transportation but if not there may be a city bus. Or he might need a car. Ask them about that. I often take a drive there to walk my dog because it is so pretty and like a garden.

The city of Hattiesburg has the usual retail centers, some nice local restaurants, a lot of chain places and all the Mexican, Chinese, and sushi that you can tolerate, LOL!

USM, the Univ. of So. Mississippi, is a fairly large campus in Hattiesburg with about 14,000 students. It has a long history with your country in that it has a major study abroad program and London has been a mainstay for it. I myself taught in England for a program of Japanese students of English. I remember having to take them on a field trip around London-that was a sight-trying to get them all on the same bus before the doors closed!

There also used to be and I think still is an exchange program where British students come for a term. You may want to email the international office to see if there will be any fellow Englishmen in town.
International Education

Old 09-16-2008, 05:58 AM

my son has been over since early august and has settled in great.he loves it in mississippi

Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 PM

37 posts, read 172,259 times
I live close to Hattiesburg it is a nice little city. I am glad your son is having a nice time here.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 PM

1,354 posts, read 3,923,474 times
Jimmy Johnstone Thanks for the update. Very thoughtful of you--it is nice to hear some follow-up--I wish more posters would let us know how things worked out for them!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Jimmy Johnstone Thanks for the update. Very thoughtful of you--it is nice to hear some follow-up--I wish more posters would let us know how things worked out for them!
yeh...he cant believe how friendly people have been, he loves the campus life and through the soccer team has travelled to some nice places.he has been invited to s friends house in gulfport for thanksgivin and is really looking foreward to it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi