U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2008, 10:20 PM
 
17 posts, read 143,853 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Hello, my friends.

I am a Southerner but not from Mississippi.

This week I will be passing through East Mississippi and am hoping to pay a visit to the town of Tishomingo out of plum curiosity that has been sparked by numerous attributes.

I had a couple of questions that some of you locals may be able to answer:

1. In your opinion, how safe of a place is Tishomingo?

2. In addition to this, are there any things to do or places to eat around town?

Thankyou

DC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
 
Location: The South
767 posts, read 2,098,661 times
Reputation: 701
Well it has a population of 315.

//www.city-data.com/city/Tishom...ssissippi.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2008, 09:46 PM
 
7 posts, read 41,142 times
Reputation: 10
Default Probably Too Late, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragments38 View Post
Hello, my friends.

I am a Southerner but not from Mississippi.

This week I will be passing through East Mississippi and am hoping to pay a visit to the town of Tishomingo out of plum curiosity that has been sparked by numerous attributes.

I had a couple of questions that some of you locals may be able to answer:

1. In your opinion, how safe of a place is Tishomingo?

2. In addition to this, are there any things to do or places to eat around town?

Thankyou

DC
You probably shouldn't be asking the 'locals.' My wife is from there and most folks in the town don't even have the Internet. However:

1) Drugs is the big 'silent crime' there and you don't really have to worry about it passing through. Otherwise, its very safe except for the stupid cop who makes it his business to chase down everyone who 'blows' through the only stop light in town.

2) Inez Cafe is about three miles north of the town, but its only open during the lunch time. George's as you go out of town has some good country cooking.

Not much, I admit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2008, 10:33 PM
 
15 posts, read 80,310 times
Reputation: 33
There is no stop light, just 1 four way stop. It is a very safe town, only about 3 blocks long. Tishomingo State Park, just outside of town, is really beautiful. Other than the park there is very little there. What "numerous attributes" were you referring to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 11:36 AM
 
7 posts, read 41,142 times
Reputation: 10
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlslee View Post
There is no stop light, just 1 four way stop. It is a very safe town, only about 3 blocks long. Tishomingo State Park, just outside of town, is really beautiful. Other than the park there is very little there. What "numerous attributes" were you referring to?
Yes, and the four-way stop has a flashing red light. That is a stop light.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 01:46 PM
 
17 posts, read 143,853 times
Reputation: 27
My reasons for wanting to visit were a little family history in near areas, and the movie "Oh Brother Whereart Thou"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 12:22 AM
 
15 posts, read 80,310 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestroh View Post
Yes, and the four-way stop has a flashing red light. That is a stop light.
Sorry, my bad. Been going there my entire life and never noticed the light, just the stop signs. I must have thought you meant a regular traffic light ( the red/yellow/green type).
The only similarity between the real Tishomingo and the Tishomingo from the movie is the name. I do remember having an "OMG" moment when I heard them say Tishomingo in the movie.

I don't know if I can link this or not but here goes....
Tishomingo County
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Central Mississippi
356 posts, read 1,258,731 times
Reputation: 209
It's probably not a good idea to judge anything in Mississippi by what you see in the movies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 06:09 PM
 
5 posts, read 22,977 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestroh View Post
You probably shouldn't be asking the 'locals.' My wife is from there and most folks in the town don't even have the Internet. However:

1) Drugs is the big 'silent crime' there and you don't really have to worry about it passing through. Otherwise, its very safe except for the stupid cop who makes it his business to chase down everyone who 'blows' through the only stop light in town.

2) Inez Cafe is about three miles north of the town, but its only open during the lunch time. George's as you go out of town has some good country cooking.

Not much, I admit.
you buzzcut, a lot of us have dsl and wireless and there is NO stop light in Tish....drugs is..haha where did you go to school...drugs are would be the correct terminology....Inez has good food but Country Boys is better and I have lived here 15 years which qualifies me as a local
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2008, 02:14 PM
 
17 posts, read 143,853 times
Reputation: 27
Thanks everyone for your input.

I did make it to Tishomingo, and was surprised yet not surprised by the town. It is definitely a beautiful place. I am interested in perhaps doing some camping at the State Park. Does anyone recommend that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top