Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:29 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times

Advertisements

I see that some towns are growing pretty good, so what is up with the growth? What attracts people to MS, I've only stopped for a few in a couple of the towns but I havent really seen too much of MS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 03:41 PM

102 posts, read 350,175 times
I would say it's the affordable houses and the friendly people that live in Mississippi. I have never been to Mississippi, but I would say this is why from what I have read on city-data.

Last edited by crayfish; 08-15-2008 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 06:24 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
NE Miss, in particular, is seeing some good job growth with industries like Toyota and Peterbilt building large factories. That, plus the low cost of housing is making people look twice at this area.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:27 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Great places, people, food, weather, scenery, literary heritage, music heritage, coastal areas, beautiful forests, genuine kindness of southerners, hominy, brown gravy, fishing places, cool winters, green summers, william faulkner, eudora welty, elvis presley, jimmy buffet, oxford, biloxi, tea -sweet or un, Ole Miss, Meridian, Laurel, etc, etc. How muh doin'?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:43 PM

57 posts, read 217,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I see that some towns are growing pretty good, so what is up with the growth? What attracts people to MS, I've only stopped for a few in a couple of the towns but I havent really seen too much of MS.
Cheap land and affordable housing.

Do you realize a $3 million house in Southern California would
cost about $600,000 in the Metro Jackson/Hinds County area?

Like California, it's "mostly" warm in Mississippi for most of the year.

It's not over crowded.

Many people want to go somewhere and "mellow out."

Mississippi is a good place for people Post-40 to start doing that.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Great places, people, food, weather, scenery, literary heritage, music heritage, coastal areas, beautiful forests, genuine kindness of southerners, hominy, brown gravy, fishing places, cool winters, green summers, william faulkner, eudora welty, elvis presley, jimmy buffet, oxford, biloxi, tea -sweet or un, Ole Miss, Meridian, Laurel, etc, etc. How muh doin'?
Not too well if you belive all that.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:13 AM

20 posts, read 106,563 times
Alot of people come here to retire. Apparently Southaven was voted one of the best places to retire by somebody (I know this because one of my husband's workers moved here from Hawaii because of this). I think what attracts people most, as many of you have mentioned, is the affordable housing and the low cost of living.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:54 AM

91 posts, read 303,631 times
Default Great Opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post

My family and I moved here several months ago and coming from Chicago I can honestly say, the quality of life here is substantially better. Less stress, big time. You get more for your money with housing, food, gas, entertainment and the booming industry here with all of the Fortune 500 Corporations that have left the north and moved here, our timing was perfect. I landed the job of a lifetime as well as my husband and we are just so happy to be here and wish we had moved here sooner. I highly recommend the Northern Mississippi area if you are planning to move here. There are so many new housing developments, it was hard for us to choose. Not to mention the weather is paradise compared to Chicago.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:34 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
Not too well if you belive all that.

Have you ever been to Mississippi or are you just trolling this thread?

Everything is real. Eat my grits, yankee!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:44 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
thats another thing, someone on one of these forums told me if I move to the South people will call me a yankee or a yank, but I dont even know what that is besides the New York Yankees baseball team but Im from New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi