U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 01:44 PM

57 posts, read 208,286 times

Advertisements

OK now. People of Mississippi please educate the
less intelligent of us about ponds/lakes.

In S. California, we have absolutely "NO" real rivers and
the few lakes we have are man-made. EVERYTHING is
the ocean out there.

One thing nobody can deny is that Hinds/Rankin/Madison
counties have the most beautiful pond and lakes--seemingly
endless with lush greenery all around.

I have a question for folks in these parts.

What is the "ball park cost" of clearing 2 acres of wooded
land so that a pond can be built on it?

I'm so ignorant about these things.

Some guy was trying to tell me about "ground water" and
"spring water" and "well water" and "damning streams" to
create a pond. I felt like an idiot, because I wasn't sure
how anyone would know if there's ground water on their
property.

My main question is about the cost of clearing land for
ponds that are 2 acres.

I hear it's a big job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:15 PM

**lump in throat**

I guess people down here really DONT know about these ponds.

LOL!

Where is Aunt Bee?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,650,770 times
It really depends on the land. Flat and no trees vs. hilly and trees and everything in between. A good sized bulldozer and track hoe will run between $100hr and $300hr each. You will need both. My dad made a couple of 1 acre fish ponds on our old farm. It took about a week each.

I think that "damning streams" would take a local religious leader. Damming a stream is completely different method. It is much easier sometimes. If it is an occaisional stream (aka a ditch), then you just make an earthen dam when there is no water flowing. I do know a guy that dammed a stream on his land in the Ozark mountains. Drive in steel re-bar to the height of your dam. Take full 80lb to 100lb pounds of concrete and drop them on the rebar. The only holes in the bags will be where at least 2 bars pierce the bag. The bags will be saturated but will hold the loose concrete as it cures. When done, you will have to fill in a few leaks between the bags but it is a interesting looking dam when the paper disolves. It looks like a stone dam with each stone the shape of a bag of concrete.

As for knowing about ground water, you just contact your local irrigation company. They should have a good idea because they have the water table maps.

And just because no one answered your question after a few hours doesn't mean that we don't know. You asked a question on the weekend. We were out enjoying our lakes and streams here in MS. Now we are back at work and have time to surf the web.

-Robert

Old 08-25-2008, 07:12 AM

356 posts, read 1,294,248 times
I wish I could help, but that's something I know nothing about.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
It really depends on the land. Flat and no trees vs. hilly and trees and everything in between. A good sized bulldozer and track hoe will run between $100hr and $300hr each. You will need both. My dad made a couple of 1 acre fish ponds on our old farm. It took about a week each.

I think that "damning streams" would take a local religious leader. Damming a stream is completely different method. It is much easier sometimes. If it is an occaisional stream (aka a ditch), then you just make an earthen dam when there is no water flowing. I do know a guy that dammed a stream on his land in the Ozark mountains. Drive in steel re-bar to the height of your dam. Take full 80lb to 100lb pounds of concrete and drop them on the rebar. The only holes in the bags will be where at least 2 bars pierce the bag. The bags will be saturated but will hold the loose concrete as it cures. When done, you will have to fill in a few leaks between the bags but it is a interesting looking dam when the paper disolves. It looks like a stone dam with each stone the shape of a bag of concrete.

As for knowing about ground water, you just contact your local irrigation company. They should have a good idea because they have the water table maps.

And just because no one answered your question after a few hours doesn't mean that we don't know. You asked a question on the weekend. We were out enjoying our lakes and streams here in MS. Now we are back at work and have time to surf the web.

-Robert
LOL!

Thanks Robert.

That's a lot of good information.

Who knew that it was so complicated making a pond?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
I wish I could help, but that's something I know nothing about.

Me neither Aunt Bee.

HI anyway!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,404 times
I am actually looking to have small lake or pond built for fishing on some property we are buying. Does anyone know of companies that do this?

Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 9,165 times
Hi Tweety,

I would imagine as slow as construction is these days a number of contractors would be more than willing but I would definitely find one with experience. It is important what type of soil where the pond will be dug. One containing a lot of gravel may result in seepage. To get you started, your local Wildlife and Fisheries extension should have a section dedicated to ponds and a list of commercial hatcheries available.

Wildlife and Fisheries Extension - Mississippi State University - Farm Pond Stocking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: