Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,165,950 times

Advertisements

If an employer really wanted to know if his workers were legal, he would have his supervisors spread a rumor of a raid happening the next day.

I suspect he wouldn't do this because he knows many of his workers would be absent.

poor, innocent , employer ?
I doubt it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM

50,191 posts, read 46,916,183 times
Actually, the Mexican Govt has pamphlets they issue to migrants along the border as to how to evade BP and the easiest ways to obtain aid (read social services) after they sneak across.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:50 PM

8,810 posts, read 21,254,667 times
I know that a lot of you have strong feelings about this topic, but there is a separate forum to discuss immigration issues. Thanks .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-29-2008, 05:22 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,165,950 times
Since this is the --Mississippi---thread, I was hoping readers could explain why --Mississippi--gave this company $31.5 MILLION of state money to expand a few years ago.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:04 AM

356 posts, read 1,343,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Since this is the --Mississippi---thread, I was hoping readers could explain why --Mississippi--gave this company $31.5 MILLION of state money to expand a few years ago.
I read in the paper that the state gave a lot of money to Nissan to come here so some people complained that they weren't doing the same for local companies. That's why they decided to give all that money to Howard.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 PM

9 posts, read 31,753 times
Lightbulb Simply Amazing!

Howard Industires in Laurel has several different divisions; transformer,lighting,technology, and transportation divisions. It is one of the world's largest manufacturer of distribution transformers, and also the largest employer in Laurel. The comapny did need the 31 million for expansion costs. I think the raid with the illegal immigrants is halirious, and all falls back on our government allowing these mexicans to pour into our country. Everyone can bash MS for this, I personally know these illegal immigrants were receiving the same pay as legal citizens. It was not an issue of cheaper labor, they used stolen social security numbers as well as birth certificates to obtain a job. The people at Howard's simply took the information they were given and if nothing comes back about the ss# being stolen, how were they to know? This is happening in every state in the US. Primarily in Texas, and California. It is very interesting to me how people hear about these things and bash the state or company when nobody actually knows the facts. Pretty soon ICE will be paying a visit to every large company in the US because the government is lacking on their part of keeping them out. The ones that were illegal were sent to court, fined, and deported. If they had children that were born here in the US their wives were allowed to stay here with an ankle braclet on 'house arrest' ha! I think everyone of them should be deported now here is a debatable question: If the parents themselves are illegal immigrants then why should their children be granted US citizenship, why should they be allowed to collect welfare, and why do they not have to pay taxes as the rest of us do?

Old 09-17-2008, 03:50 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,253,697 times
MODERTOR: This discussion needs to stay within the boundaries of information directly related to this incident. Please - as the other moderator has stated, there is an Immigration forum for discussion of general issues. Thank you.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:52 PM

356 posts, read 1,343,974 times
From what I have read in the paper, most of those who were detained are still being held in Jena, La. while their legal or illegal status is being determined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi