Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 AM

9 posts, read 36,468 times

Advertisements

Im moving to Tupelo in about 3 months. What pros and/or cons should I know about? Speak your mind! Honestly is greatly appreciated!

Anything from the people, traffic, economy, schools, businesses, weather, real estate, ANYTHING!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:38 AM

52 posts, read 214,587 times
As a former resident of the delta, Tupelo is almost heaven. Almost but it does have it's upside and downside. There are many restaurants here but if you try to go Thursday thru Saturday better get there early cause you'll have a wait. There are plenty of festivals that go on thru the spring summer and fall. The flea market held the 2nd weekend of the month is good but has declined with vendors since gas prices went through the roof. The hilly area around Lee county is pretty. Almost no mosquitoes (unlike the delta). But with Toyota coming in property values has sky-rocketed. Traffic, like any growing town is horrible at times but there are plenty of 4 lane and interstate that once you know where you're going you can avoid most of the traffic. Weather....well it's still Mississippi ya know..hot then cold. Public schools are good. Local government is like anywhere else, good and not so good. All in all if I had to I would move here again. For almost 2 years it's been a nice change from where I grew up.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 AM

557 posts, read 1,663,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOC View Post
Im moving to Tupelo in about 3 months. What pros and/or cons should I know about? Speak your mind! Honestly is greatly appreciated!

Anything from the people, traffic, economy, schools, businesses, weather, real estate, ANYTHING!

Thanks
I don't live in Tupelo but wish I did. The people that I know that live there just love it. I go there pretty often and do enjoy the shopping, restaurants and other activities. I believe that, all things considered (economy, schools, crime, weather, available activities) that it is probably the best place to live in the whole state.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,642,783 times
Tupelo is the hub of activity for a great many surrounding counties and towns. People flock to it each day for work and most of the industries that pay well are in and around the Tupelo area. Yes, there are some in Booneville, but we are talking Tupelo at the moment.

The Mall at Barnes Crossing seems to generate more and more people and the area surrounding it has become quite populated with businesses such as restaurants, specialty shops and car dealerships.

Living in Tupelo is more expensive than living in the county or adjacent counties but offers the best opportunity of in-town living around.

They have a theater, plays, many movie houses, shopping, museums (although small) and as someone mentioned festivals. The biggie is in May with Gum Tree which showcases local artisans, musicians and either a 5 or 10K run that draws world wide participation.

Tupelo has indoor football and hockey (I think they still have the hockey team) and parks for summer enjoyment. Their schools are top notch and there is satellite campuses of Ole Miss and Itawamba Community College there as well.

Like any good sized town, there are down sides as well such as a bit more crime in town than out, property values escalating, and inter-government squabbles. Minor things that are to be expected.

Tupelo is growing, has always been growing, and the leadership has always had the future and growth of the 'fair city' as a common ground.

All in all, I believe you will be pleased with your new home. In which area are you moving to? There are so many new subdivisions in and around the town that seem very nice places to move to. On the Western side, one will have the air port, but that should not be too much of a problem. On the North side is the mall with it's traffic, and the South side is basically dying, while the east side has not seen much growth in the last few years.

The largest privately owned hospital in the country, NMMC is located in Tupelo and there are many physicians offices in and around town.

The quality of air is great with no smog, there are many trees and the weather is typical North Mississippi weather, hot and humid during the summer months, comfortable in Fall, a short and mild winter usually, with Spring not lasting as long as it should many years! My dh picked my first of the year daffodil on January 12th of this year! Yet, we still had cold snaps after that. Our winters are warmer than when I was young, I have seen less snow in the area than say even 10 years ago. And we do occasionally have ice storms.

Our people are some of the friendliest people in the nation. This is no lie, I've been told this many times and have seen letters to the editor in the Journal from out of state people who have either had some type of emergency or just vacationing write in and thank all the people for their hospitality.

May I say an early, Welcome to our neighborhood.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:41 PM

20 posts, read 105,763 times
LOVE Tupelo! We used to live there and miss it! We now live in the Southaven area. Tupelo, like it's motto, is the place to go! :-) Where we lived in town, there was a major mosquito problem, even during the day. The traffic is getting worse, but it still doesn't compare to the traffic up here. Housing prices have gone up drastically in the last year and a half, but that is hindering alot of homes from selling. There are alot of nice new neighborhoods. The crime is not bad at all. I can't bear to watch the Memphis news, it scares me to death! Anyways, I think you will really enjoy living in Tupelo.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:00 PM

43 posts, read 165,621 times
Tupelo is the best city to live in the Mid-South period. I used to live in the Memphis area of Shelby Co. and Collierville, I used to visit Jackson Tn. and Jonesboro quite while they are nice citys, on a day to day basics you can't beat Tupelo, the kindness of all the citizens is just hard find anywhere. I can't wait to move back.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 30,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOC View Post

Thanks
tupelo is wonderful!! it is one of the bigger cities in mississippi. you will be very happy there. the houses you can get a huge house for alittle of nothing you are very lucky to move there. i love it. lots of industry and they are getting the new toyota plant tupelo is thriving. my dad works a cooper tire in tupelo. i live in starkville and starkville suxs. houses gorgeous houses in highend neighborhoods that is like 179,000 thousand it is great there in tupelo. go you will be glad you did. it is very convient with all the stores and food joints.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 24,113 times
Me and my husband visited there about a month ago, and are now sold on moving there. The town is wonderful! Not too big, but not too small either! It's got a great mall, and two movie theaters, some really great restaurants and beautiful countryside! I can't wait to move next year!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 AM

53 posts, read 330,802 times
My husband and I moved to tupelo this past summer and love it! its wonderful! Its like a small-big town. Still has a small town feel but there are things to do here! I know you will enjoy it! I grew up in south Mississippi went to school in starkville and lived in southaven and Tupelo is by far the best place I've lived!

Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 47,060 times
Could somebody be so kind as to please break down the divisions between N/S/E/W within the Tupelo city limits? In otherwords if someone says the south end is dying, do you mean south of, say, W Main St? I'm shopping for an older home that we can use as a cottage or rent out but would like something central so we can walk around and get a coffee. I'm seeing prices in the $50,000 and cannot believe they could be in a safe and nice part of town.

Am I dreaming or have I just been a big city girl for wayyyyy too long?

Please feel free to PM me if you're afraid of offending anyone. I really need help. Buying over the internet is scary and realtors stand to gain in a deal so anyone with candid info would be a real gift right now.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi