U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 27,073 times

Advertisements

Well my job is taking my family and I to Laurel, and im willing to live a half an hour away. My wife and I have two children shouldn't be starting school for at least 2 years but it is still an important factor for us. I have been trying to do research but it seems most of the businesses don't have web sites. Basicilly Schools have to be great, we would like to rent a house at first just to make sure that we like it, especially during this turmoil we call a houseing market, but it seems hard to find rentals. Good communities for children. I play drums so the houses can't be right next to each other like they are in my current neighbor hood in Gulfport. We are an active family that likes taking the kids out to do things. Any help would be great. Also recreation centers or fitness facility insight would be helpful too.

Sorry for being long winded.

Oh yeah one more thing...according to demographics it says Laurel is close to double the national crime index in almost all catagories. What do the locals think about this?

Last edited by maschneid; 10-14-2008 at 02:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 PM

356 posts, read 1,292,670 times
I have family in Laurel and they've never complained about crime there. I would suggest looking west of Laurel in the Calhoun community. The schools are good in that area too.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,659 times
Default Petal Area

PETAL...PETAL...PETAL

Petal schools are wonderful! We just moved here one year ago due to my husband's job in Hattiesburg and we chose Petal because of the schools and we have been very happy with it. Its still a small school, but academically very strong. I have a 10 yr old in school and she loves it. Lots of outside activities for the kids and a great city park. Its a little difficult to make friends sometimes, but you just have to get out there and I've met only very nice people thus far. The police dept is on top of any crime in the area, which is very little. Kids walk all over town. I don't let mine because I'm not comfortable with that, but there are LOTS that do. The schools are also VERY parent friendly. I would pick Petal over Laurel ANY day.

Rental homes take a little searching to find, but I live in a great area and we rent for the very same reason you are going to. Petal is definitely typical of small town Mississippi, but they have lots of great family and kid attractions.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 PM

756 posts, read 1,911,591 times
I agree you can not go wrong with petal schools they are wonderful.
The town is a small but very has everything u need.
the people are great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi