Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,142 times

Advertisements

Coming from Ontario where the standard of living is high, should I expect the same in terms of health care, education (two girls 11 and 14 yrs), after school activites, and safety. Are there any pipes and drum bands around this area. What's available socially to help my wife and I meet new fiends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 04:02 PM

114 posts, read 602,407 times
Health care is OK, both Columbus and Starkville have decent enough medical facilities and doctors, and there is also Tupelo which is 60 miles away and has a really good hospital. As far as schools, unless you are willing to pay for a private school, the only good public schools in the area are in Lowndes County, namely Caledonia (NE of Columbus) and New Hope (SE of Columbus).

Old 02-16-2007, 08:50 PM

25 posts, read 107,246 times
West Point has a good hospital now. They are under NMMC managment now, same hospital in Tupelo and they are great. Baptist Hospital in Columbus is the most horrible hospital I have ever been to. Most Golden triangle natives will have a horror story or two to tell about Baptist ER trips. The outpatient part of Baptist is great, but when I lived in Columbus, I drove 30minutes to West Point ER no matter how sick or hurt I was to avoid Baptist. Dont know to much about Starkville Hospital. Have'nt heard anything bad about it, but nothing good either.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:32 PM

Let me add that if you're coming from an area where the standard of living is *high*, you'll be in for somewhat of a shock. The standard of living is anything BUT high in the "Golden Triangle". True, you can find some decent housing, but there is lots of poverty, many run-down, depressing neighborhoods. And the school systems that I mentioned are just marginally good, not excellent by any means. Another thing you'll find is that people here tend to be clannish, in other words, since you're not from here you will have a harder time being accepted. I've lived here for 8 years and barely know my neighbors because they keep themselves at arms length and are suspicious of me as an *outsider*.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:23 AM

227 posts, read 293,155 times
1st, i was born in columbus, as were my father, grandfather, gggf, etc...back to the 1840's. That being said, i didnt grow up in Columbus, but my parents are now back there. As you can see, Columbus is an old town, and many people's families have been there for generations. Because of that i think the town can be somewhat cliquish. I think some of the locals tend to keep some of the transients at a distance, as fighter jock said. Columbus has had the airbas since the 50's i think, and so there have been a lot of transients in and out of town. My mother(AForceBrat) was actually one of these, but she managed to meet my father...hah.
If you play tennis, i would join Magnolia Tennis club. Good way to meet people. And i also guess joining the CC if you play golf.
Dont despair, i know a doctor and his wife that just moved there, not knowing anyone, and they seem to like it ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjockey75 View Post
Let me add that if you're coming from an area where the standard of living is *high*, you'll be in for somewhat of a shock. The standard of living is anything BUT high in the "Golden Triangle". True, you can find some decent housing, but there is lots of poverty, many run-down, depressing neighborhoods. And the school systems that I mentioned are just marginally good, not excellent by any means. Another thing you'll find is that people here tend to be clannish, in other words, since you're not from here you will have a harder time being accepted. I've lived here for 8 years and barely know my neighbors because they keep themselves at arms length and are suspicious of me as an *outsider*.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 AM

6 posts, read 18,158 times
Default Move to West Point

The standard of living in the Golden Triangle is not high, but you can easily access good educational possibilities at private schools. I hate saying that because I am a supporter of public education.

The key to meeting people and making connections in Southern towns, including West Point, is a church. Once you connect there, you can find social opportunities in other ways, such as civic and arts groups. You can be as active as you want to be and feel comfortable with at churches, which range from liberal to conservative.

Your specific question about "pipes and drums" groups I don't have an answer for, but there are bands and music coteries in the three towns that comprise the Golden Triangle.

I think that you would be greeted warmly in West Point, especially if you extend yourself to others.

You can easily find a "lot of house for a little money" there.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,047 times
Default Golden Triangle

As a person who moved to the south from other places, including New England, I think some of the replies you have received are way too glum. In addition, there is a tone to the remarks about public education that are bothersome. Two of the schools listed are predominantly white so maybe that is what the writers are not too subtly implying. Most of the private schools were born during the integration era and are also white or are religious. I evaluate student teachers for Mississippi State University at public schools throughout the area, including West Point and New Hope and have wide experience with the Starkville schools. New Hope has a nice facility; West Point's could use some work on the buildings and Starkville schools are excellent. All seem to have dedicated teachers, administrators, and, at least in Starkville and New Hope, dedicated parent groups. I know less about parental involvement in West Point. Starkville has an incredible music program and an excellent gifted program. West Point has just lost its Sara Lee plant and the tax base is going to be affected. That may be a consideration in terms of future school bond issues. If you like university facilities (lots of concerts, speakers, cultural events, etc.), Starkville is probably the best place to be. Because it is a university town, a large percentage of its residents are from elsewhere and it is very comfortable with outsiders. I used to live there so know that is true.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,047 times
Default Golden Triangle

I wrote a reply a few minutes ago and realize I did not address the qualities of Columbus. It is a beautiful town with a college (MS University for Women although it is now definitely coed). It has more of an "old South" feeling and at one time, people tell me it was clannish but I doubt that is as true now. Its public schools need infrastructure improvements but are OK. It also has at least one private academy, begun during the 70's, I believe. It is close to Starkville so you can also enjoy that town's benefits easily. Columbus also is the home of the state's only residential Math and Science School for the gifted (called MSMS) which is housed at MUW. It is a superb school to which rising high school juniors can apply from any place in the state. One does not have to be a U.S. citizen so Canadian citizens would be welcome.

You will find the South is church oriented--always a surprise how many churches there are per block! But one can find a church of every persuasion, fundamentalist to more ecumenical. Or one can elect not to attend and you will not be shunned.

For major medical problems, the Tupelo Medical Complex is the best. Others are OK but one always hears remarks. Whether they are true or not, I don't know.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katahdin View Post
I wrote a reply a few minutes ago and realize I did not address the qualities of Columbus. It is a beautiful town .......It has more of an "old South" feeling and at one time, people tell me it was clannish but I doubt that is as true now.
I definitely would not call Columbus "beautiful" by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, there are several dozen reasonably well kept antebellum homes, but most of the town looks in desperate need of an update. The streets are a disgrace, with potholes everywhere. It certainly does not look like a town that is in the middle of a supposed economic boom.

Oh, and by the way, it is MOST DEFINITELY still clannish. Who you grew up with and who you know is absolutely everything there. Even if you go to church, you have to go to the *right* church.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 AM

23 posts, read 126,051 times
Default Drug Issues In Golden Triangle

Worked in a treatment facility in Starkville. Tremendous numbers of addicted youth and gang members came our way from that area. If you don't have to go there DON"T!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi