Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 AM

25,419 posts, read 17,095,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You gotta be kidding. The Mississippi beaches are on a sound and the water is brackish and still. IMO they don't compare with beaches that front directly on big water. Maybe the beaches facing the Gulf out on the sound's barrier islands are nice, I don't know.
Get out the map, IT.

Sound:
  1. A narrow stretch of water forming an inlet or connecting two wider areas of water such as two seas or a sea and a lake.
Now, to be sure, we ain't on the Pacific Ocean, but the beaches don't have brackish water, either. And "still"? Tell it to the survivors of Hurricane Katrina.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,691,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Get out the map, IT.

Sound:
  1. A narrow stretch of water forming an inlet or connecting two wider areas of water such as two seas or a sea and a lake.
Now, to be sure, we ain't on the Pacific Ocean, but the beaches don't have brackish water, either. And "still"? Tell it to the survivors of Hurricane Katrina.
Get out the map eh? You should. I have several maps that identify the water between the Mississippi coast and the barrier islands as Mississippi Sound.

Brackish is defined as salt water having less salinity than sea water, often because of influx of fresh water mixing with sea water in a confined space. Like Mississippi Sound for instance.

That the water in the sound was not still during a hurricane is hardly a valid argument against the fact the water in the sound is normally quite still compared to that outside the barrier islands. Hell, the sound is still compared to Lake Michigan.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:52 PM

25,419 posts, read 17,095,857 times
Quote:
Get out the map eh? You should. I have several maps that identify the water between the Mississippi coast and the barrier islands as Mississippi Sound.

Brackish is defined as salt water having less salinity than sea water, often because of influx of fresh water mixing with sea water in a confined space. Like Mississippi Sound for instance.

That the water in the sound was not still during a hurricane is hardly a valid argument against the fact the water in the sound is normally quite still compared to that outside the barrier islands. Hell, the sound is still compared to Lake Michigan.
Right!; on technicalities. But right is right

The average salinity of the gulf is 30 PPT whereas at Biloxi it is closer to 24 PPT, so it's going to taste and look like seawater. Just for grins I looked up salinity of oceans. Lot of surprises, here!
Quote:
If you count the Red Sea and Persian Gulf as part of the oceans, you get your maximum of 40 parts per thousand. Of the major oceans, the 37.9 parts per thousand in the North Atlantic is the most saline. The Baltic Sea, which is still connected to the Atlantic, is only between 5 and 15 ppt. The Black Sea is 20 ppt. Puget Sound off of Seattle, WA has a range of 21 to about 27 parts per thousand. The water off of Miami Beach varies from 34.8 ppt to 36.4 ppt with the seasons, while on the other side of the continent, the waters off of Astoria, OR are barely 0.3 ppt! That's nearly fresh -- but then up to 2.6 ppt in the later part of the year.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:35 PM

7,470 posts, read 6,213,806 times
Quote:
You gotta be kidding. The Mississippi beaches are on a sound and the water is brackish and still. IMO they don't compare with beaches that front directly on big water. Maybe the beaches facing the Gulf out on the sound's barrier islands are nice, I don't know.
They are what they are. For some reason, they sure do fill up on holidays. They look a lot better than the beaches on some big lakes up north.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,691,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
They are what they are. For some reason, they sure do fill up on holidays. They look a lot better than the beaches on some big lakes up north.
That there are nicer beaches than those on Mississippi Sound does not mean the beaches on the sound are not nice, I think they're nice. I damned near built a house by the beach in Waveland but that's another story.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,100,285 times
Cat Island, just a few miles south of Pass Christian, is literally paradise. Huge white beaches for miles, with beautiful sea grasses and rolling green surf.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:21 AM

159 posts, read 262,902 times
Other than our coast not really. It gets to cold here for alot of Palms to survive. I have seen them planted in my area but they dont look like they thrive well!!!

Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,928,428 times
To answer your question, yes.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,212 times
I live in Natchez, MS--2 1/2 hrs N of New Orleans, 1 1/2 hrs N of Baton Rouge, LA (our closest city). I have a Washingtonia Robusta Palm that I planted in 1988. It has grown to a height of 50+ft, I also have a date palm in my yard that I planted 15+ yrs ago. I also have a queen palm growing in a large planter. I lost a Pindo palm several years ago, and never have replaced it. I have several large Sagos in my beds since 1988. I just about lost those a few years ago during a very hard winter. I clipped off the dead foliage, and they are bigger than ever.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:12 PM

43 posts, read 85,244 times
Yes, trunked palm trees (palmetto) grow rampant in southern Mississippi, and saw palmetto will grow pretty far inland; saw palmetto grows as far north as southeast Oklahoma and south central North Carolina I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi