Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:25 PM

114 posts, read 600,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpie View Post
Forgive me as I wasn't around the forum prior to the Toyota annoucement, but why is Sara Lee closing?
Well, now, that is a GOOD question. The way I understand it, at the end of January, Sara Lee said it was closing it's Bryan Foods operation in West Point, with the reason that "it no longer factored in the company's long-term plans" or some such gobbledeegook. Word has it they just opened a new plant somewhere in Georgia which will take over the duties of the West Point plant. Basically they screwed the town and the employees, giving them only minimal notice and being uncooperative with the town in its effort to find a buyer before the March 31 closure date; none of the employees were offered work in the new plant or in any other SL facility. You won't find too many people around here buying Sara Lee products right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjockey75 View Post
Well, now, that is a GOOD question. The way I understand it, at the end of January, Sara Lee said it was closing it's Bryan Foods operation in West Point, with the reason that "it no longer factored in the company's long-term plans" or some such gobbledeegook. Word has it they just opened a new plant somewhere in Georgia which will take over the duties of the West Point plant. Basically they screwed the town and the employees, giving them only minimal notice and being uncooperative with the town in its effort to find a buyer before the March 31 closure date; none of the employees were offered work in the new plant or in any other SL facility. You won't find too many people around here buying Sara Lee products right now.
Count me among those people who won't buy Sara Lee products anymore, either. I feel so sorry for the good people of West Point who got screwed on that deal.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:04 PM

114 posts, read 600,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And this still begs the question, why didn't Mississippi offer Sara Lee the state treasury to keep its 2,000 jobs in the Golden Triangle?

A few land barons in the Tupelo area will make a killing.......
According to some media reports I've heard, a few land barons related to a few key state politicians DID make a killing on Wellspring... no wonder the state was pushing that "non-megasite" megasite.

I would imagine that the reason Sara Lee was not paid off to stay in MS is because the state is broke. It will be a long time before we can afford to bribe another manufacturer to locate here, if ever.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:13 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,878,685 times
Broke my left buttocks.. they just signed a 5 billion dollar budget.. Someone once said.. if you go looking for a Conspiracy behind every tree your sure to find one.. seems your doing a good job a lookin. If you dont like Mississippi, try one of the other 49 states.. sheesh. Stop complaining about something good for the state already.. be happy we got it and not Some other state.. they just built one of these in Texas, and its booming South San Antonio. Im sure it will do the same for Mississippi.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,350 times
Default Blue Springs

Of all the post I have read here are putting down the fact that Blue Springs is getting the Toyota Plant! Well I live in Blue Springs and our Town is so small it is actually a Village! and we have finally made it on the Map! I see everyone having something to say is from other places like TN, AL, and so forth are you all jealous because Blue Springs is going to expand! Why should our residents have to travel to work! it is bad enough we have to go to Tupelo, New Albany, Memphis and so forth to do our shopping! we already support the surrounding towns, cities and so forth why shouldn't we grow and be able to support our own Town (Village). I own a Business in Blue Springs and I can not wait for the expansion, My employee's are also excited about this expansion. I just Think everyone who does not live around here is jealous!! As long as we accept the change and we are ok with it let it be!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:53 AM

130 posts, read 153,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Those towns may benefit, but it'll be at the expense of other towns in Mississippi. It'll just be a further drain on the Delta; more people will have a reason to flee the Delta. So essentially the governor and the state legislature have decided that the Tupelo area should grow, but they've given the finger to the Delta and to the Golden Triangle--places that really could use some help in luring and keeping industry and jobs.
jmt, how was Tupelo given the go ahead on the Toyota plant a drain to the delta? Big corporations have been given very lucrative offers in the Delta and after there officials investigate these areas they pretty much say He!! no to the Delta.You see before a company chooses a location one of the things they do is send company personnel to the areas and have them live among the locals for several weeks.Eating at local restaraunts talking with residents and checking schools and overall infrastructure ability to handle a large company.But, the Delta is a hard place to sell to prespective companies for a number of obvious reasons infrastructure being number one.

The Golden triangle has industry there and will have another shot at a large company in the future.I do not believe the Governor "chose" the Tupelo area for development.The area was offered to Toyota amongst other locations and they happened to like what the area offered.Nothing more nothing less in my opinion.

regards.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 PM

251 posts, read 1,062,186 times
Default Toyota - Blue Springs, MS

Found this (broken link) today. Thought it was cool.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,642,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjockey75 View Post
According to some media reports I've heard, a few land barons related to a few key state politicians DID make a killing on Wellspring... no wonder the state was pushing that "non-megasite" megasite.
I really do not know where you got your informatin from, but let me set the record straight. Many of my relatives lived on the land that is becomming WellSpring. These people did not get rich or make a killing when selling. They were offered a price per acre for their land that is a bit below what acres are selling for around here. They were offered a per sq. foot sum for their homes that is below what per sq. foot new construction costs, and a small amount for moving expenses. These people are finding it very difficult to find homes, and they can't even consider living in a similiar environment or standard of living they enjoyed on their property. Most of the land has been passed down from one generation to another and most of these landowners are not wealthy. Families that had one to three dwellings ( homes or mobile homes) on their property have now got to find locations where ever they can and are finding themselves split up, living away from one another.

The choice if they refused to take this offer? Emminent Domain, and we all know how that works.

These people have lost their homes and even some their work from this sale, they have sacrificed for the greater good of the whole, while not willingly but with the knowledge they had no choice.

OUr taxes will increase and further burden us who live in this area. Many of us will not seek jobs at the site because we have either retired or have many years in employment elsewhere. Most of the citizens of Blue Springs are retired people. Younger people have moved away for the most part.

Our burden, ( the town) is to find available monies thru grants for needed infrastructure for the growth we will experience. We are a very poor town, with no ready cash flow and not much incoming income. All of our board members and mayor are part-time, mainly this is a voluntary service with very little pay involved. Yet, we have had many extra meetings and the burden of trying to figure out where we go next and how to get there.

Yet, we welcome the Toyota Plant for one main reason. Securing a future for our children that will give them an opportunity for decent employment with good wages. Our sacrifices are for future generations of people in this area who will enjoy the benefit of what we are trying to build. Isn't that how America has worked all this time anyway?

Now, please, come to our tiny town and meet these 'so called land barons' and explain to them how they are so rich, the ones that have resorted to renting or moving into a house trailer because they could not afford to go out and buy land and build a home. I will personally take you to each one of them so they can show you the riches they received.

My suggestion to you--research your subject before you sit down and spin such garbage. Know your subject before condemning them, and just simply tell the truth or say nothing at all.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:06 PM

64 posts, read 319,630 times
Toyota built a plant several years ago in rural West Virginia. It is on a small, two lane road, not real far from Charleston, but basically in the middle of nowhere. The plant has expanded several times and numerous manufacturers have popped up near the plant. Toyota is an excellent neighbor and gives back to the community. Mississippi or anyone else would be fortunate to land a plant like this. There is no downside.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:43 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,642,783 times
Our first sight of this was a full page ad placed by Toyota in a local paper. Now, our (Blue Springs) residents want us to get a sign like this for our city limits. It does look great, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi