Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwconne View Post
I am from Tupelo but moved away 15 years ago. My advise to you is move away from Mississippi. There are wonderful place to live all over the west and midwest. Do not get left behind in Mississippi. I visit but will never return to live. Once you leave there its like your whole world comes alive and you can see what you have been missing.... Good luck.
On the contrary, I lived all over the United States before I moved to MS (except for the Pacific NW and New England) and find that Mississippi is not nearly as bad as you imply. Sure, there are things here that I don't like, but, all things considered, it is a decent place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 AM

78 posts, read 394,558 times
[url="http://picasaweb.google.com/Franklin1938/AroundHernando"]

Here is some random pictures around Hernando

Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1938 View Post

Looks like a place i could really settle in.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1938 View Post

Nice pics. I've been through Olive Branch many times but I've never been through Hernando.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:41 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,268 times
Either Madison County or the Reservoir area in Jackson, or in one of the nicer suburban areas of Hattiesburg. There are also nice burbs up south of the TN line near Memphis.

Having lived in Jackson for almost 7 years and living at the Res, though, and being a "Yankee" - unless you are from the South, I would recommend NOT moving to Mississippi. Its a pretty unpleasant place to live for educated outsiders.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
Either Madison County or the Reservoir area in Jackson, or in one of the nicer suburban areas of Hattiesburg. There are also nice burbs up south of the TN line near Memphis.

Having lived in Jackson for almost 7 years and living at the Res, though, and being a "Yankee" - unless you are from the South, I would recommend NOT moving to Mississippi. Its a pretty unpleasant place to live for educated outsiders.
Why is that, could you elaborate? As i am neither a yankee or American for that matter

Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times
I relocated here from PA and currently live in the Jackson area. If you are not in the "good ol' boy" network it is very hard to get anywhere. There are many people still fighting the Civil War. I would suggest the Gulf Coast area because it is different from the rest of the state. I am considering relocating there myself. Many of those on the coast are transplants so that old school deep south mentality barely exists if it does at all. I did experience a prejudice towards me because I was a "yankee," and other northerners that I know have as well. Another thing I will caution you about is your profession will have an impact on you as well. For instance, the town of Madison, (which is north of Jackson), is a beautiful town with nice houses in nice sub-divisions and one of the best school districts in the state. Sounds great right? However, if you do not make six figures a year you won't be able to afford to live there. And if you are not a white-collar, college educated individual be prepared to be looked down upon. There is this mentality in Miss that frowns on blue-collar workers. The working class is looked down upon. Plus, the city of Jackson itself is a garbage pit. Stick with the Gulf Coast! It is much more normal. They are rebounding from Katrina and you won't experience some of these backward mentalities.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:30 PM

78 posts, read 394,558 times
I am real surprised at some of the comments about Mississippi. Before moving to Hernando in 1973, I lived in Indiana, Chicago, West Virginia, Arkansas, Washington,DC, Virginia & have been in 45 of the 50 states including Hawaii as well as traveling to Asia & Europe & have never found more friendly, nicer people than here in northern Mississippi.
As our town has grown from 2,000 to roughly 15,000, it has lost a bit of the small town feel but overall is a great place to live.
Crime rate is very low. May have a killing a year which is almost always family related, so could happen in any area.
The main problem I see for younger people moving here is housing is expensive. At least expensive to me.
I have a very nice, modest house in a good neighborhood that at todays prices would sell for around $150,000, but it is more than 40 years old
I have black friends, Hispanic friends, as well as white friends. I know many people in this town & none of the folks I see on a daily basis ever spout racist remarks
I think some of the people moving here from "up north" or from "out west" bring their own prejudices with them

Old 01-13-2009, 08:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
And if you are not a white-collar, college educated individual be prepared to be looked down upon. There is this mentality in Miss that frowns on blue-collar workers.
That is one of the most bizarre statements I have seen in awhile.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times
Southernbliss you need to read my whole statement. I said I'm seriously considering a move to the Gulf Coast region because I like that area much more. All of you people are on here saying about the people being nice. While many of them are, nice is way over-rated. I'll take a good economic area over a region with nice people any day. What is nice anyway? The definition varies person to person. It's like all of these southern Baptists going around telling around people to find Jesus. Where is Jesus, under my couch? Back to the nice thing. If someone comes up to me and says hey you should go out on a date with so and so she's really nice, odds are this woman isn't very attractive. Why? Because if she were that someone would've said so. So they stick the word nice in there to cover everything up. I come from the northeast where being brutality honest goes further than being nice. And for the person that said my blue collar comment was bizarre, I once dated a girl in Miss that said for me not to tell her family I was a truck driver, around here that is considered white trash. One time I went to church in ultra-conservative Madison wearing a shirt with real short sleeves so part of my tattoo was showing. They loved that. Those of you that are on here and don't like what I say that's a "you" problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi