Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Mississippi for a long time and I've never heard anyone ask how someone felt about the "recent unpleasentness" nor have I heard anyone asked where there ancestors came from. I have been asked several times if I was "kin" to someone they knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 06:55 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,828 times
I would live in northwest Jones County, afew miles outside Laurel.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Somewhere in Jackson, probably off State St? I think
I would have chosen Biloxi or Gulfport because Jackson gets too cold for me this time of year but all of the cities on the coast have a smaller town feel than what I would look for.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 PM

57 posts, read 217,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Sorry, but had to jump in here. Not sure how much time you've spent in these places, but they are like any other state--good parts and bad parts. Crime in Summit, NJ? Not so much an issue. In New Vernon, NJ? UM...not so much. Short Hills? Rumson? Most of NJ is not crime ridden, despite what you apparently think. Large portions of the state are farming communities, horse farms, etc. There are wildly wealthy areas of NJ and OH and IL which have very very little crime. I believe you are judging entire states either by reputation (which apparently you don't like b/c you start by saying you don't understand why people stereotype your state) or by seeing only a small portion of these states.

Please don't stereotype like that--it's flat out wrong. There are high crime and low crime areas of pretty much every state. You don't like it when people stereotype MS and it's the same thing when you do it to other states.

Awwwwww.....Well now you see how people in Mississippi feel.

Just multiply my post by 100 and make them about Mississippi.

And by the way, I do apologize.

I don't like to offend people.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:22 PM

57 posts, read 217,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I totally agree. I lived in Rumson most of my life and there really wasn't any crime. A few break ins now and then but that was it. I didn't lock my doors.

Awwwwww.....Well now you see how people in Mississippi feel.

Just multiply my post by 100 and make them about Mississippi.

And by the way, I do apologize.

I don't like to offend people.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,250 times
Default Home for 150K

Check out Crystal Springs or Hazlehurst just south of Jackson. Great, great older homes for sale for good money. NICE small town, but close enough to Jackson for bigger shopping, entertainment.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:56 AM

6 posts, read 32,781 times
I live near Laurel MS and I think Laurel or Ellisville would be great places to find homes in that price range. We are about 1.5 hrs from Mobile or New Orleans and about 20-30 minutes from Hattiesburg. Laurel does have a Hospital and Hattiesburg has 2. Hattiesburg is like the 3rd largest city in the state with lots to do but Laurel has lower costs on real estate. You are not far from anything but still get that small town rural feel here.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 PM

16 posts, read 65,363 times
Default I Adore Hernando

I adore Hernando...but I am worried where it will be in a 20 years being so close to Memphis...I am worried the slime will seep out of Memphis and disrupt the great life that can be found in Hernando right now. We will not stay here forever...I just cannot stand being close to all the horrible stuff that happens just north of us...but I really do love Hernando right now. I also love the gulf cost.

When I settle...I am going to Idaho...Wyoming, Colorado, Oregon...somewhere over there.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:28 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Let's all get a grip here. Someone asked about a house. They didn't ask if they should move to Mississippi or not, so there is no need to vent personal stuff that may not relate to anyone else.

I am a Yankee and have never had a problem being accepted in Mississippi. My great-great grandfathers rode with the Union army and I love my home state. But I appreciate Mississippi and its people. I appreciate its traditions, its style, and its uniqueness. Like any place you can seek out those with whom you have common ground and perhaps broaden yourself learning from those who are different. Those of whom you disapprove you can avoid. Simple. No Yankee should be afraid of coming to Mississippi. But there is no need to shout your Yankeeism from the roof tops. No need to make negative comparisons in the company of your hosts.

And for the record--New Jersey is not covered over with concrete and crime-ridden. Stereotypes work both ways. New Jersey is The Garden State and has the best tomatoes, corn, and peaches I have ever tasted and that includes all of the South. It has beautiful charming towns and lovely beaches.

So let's all appreciate each other and quit with the digs.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:24 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times
Well said, Tama. There are good and bad places anywhere you live. It's all a matter of what you make of it. I do think those of us who actually live in Mississippi know a little more about it than someone who has just visited. Statistics and things you read in the newspaper or see on TV on don't tell the whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi