U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 PM

152 posts, read 504,753 times

Advertisements

Mississippi most religious, Vermont least, survey says

Link- Mississippi most religious, Vermont least, survey says - USATODAY.com
WASHINGTON — Want to be almost certain you'll have religious neighbors? Move to Mississippi. Prefer to be in the least religious state? Venture to Vermont.

A new Gallup Poll, based on more than 350,000 interviews, finds that the Magnolia State is the one where the most people — 85% — say yes when asked "Is religion an important part of your daily life?"

Less than half of Vermonters, meanwhile — 42% — answered that same question in the affirmative.

The complete list:

• Mississippi: 85%
• Alabama: 82%
• South Carolina: 80%
• Tennessee: 79%
• Louisiana: 78%
• Arkansas: 78%
• Georgia: 76%
• North Carolina: 76%
• Oklahoma: 75%
• Kentucky: 74%
• Texas: 74%
• West Virginia: 71%
• Kansas: 70%
• Utah: 69%
• Missouri: 68%
• Virginia: 68%
• South Dakota: 68%
• North Dakota: 68%
• Indiana: 68%
• Nebraska: 67%
• New Mexico: 66%
• Pennsylvania: 65%
• Florida: 65%
• Maryland: 65%
• Ohio: 65%
• Iowa: 64%
• Minnesota: 64%
• Illinois: 64%
• Michigan: 64%
• Delaware: 61%
• Wisconsin: 61%
• District of Columbia: 61%
• Idaho: 61%
• Arizona: 61%
• New Jersey: 60%
• Wyoming: 58%
• Colorado: 57%
• Hawaii: 57%
• California: 57%
• Montana: 56%
• New York: 56%
• Connecticut: 55%
• Nevada: 54%
• Rhode Island: 53%
• Oregon: 53%
• Washington: 52%
• Alaska: 51%
• Massachusetts: 48%
• Maine: 48%
• New Hampshire: 46%
• Vermont: 42%
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 03:30 PM

756 posts, read 1,925,029 times
This is good but also we know that our state has a way of going to far with things.

all the same this does make me proud.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:00 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,871,840 times
Too much religion is a bad thing though, no?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:08 PM

I do not want to say to much religion is a bad thing.
God knows I put him 1st. in my life.
I also teach my kids to do the same.
Now saying that I can also tell you there are crazys in this world that use the word religion as there exuse to judge other people and that I can not stand.

And a lot of those crazys have family in Ms.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:14 PM

I guess what I am saying is that to me, my God comes in all shapes in sizes.
He loves the person that does not love him and the jew down the road that everyone hate.
He does not sit in a building waiting for me to show up on sunday.
I sometimes think that alot of people from the south only believe in 1 god in if you do not agree with them...........well ok put you are going to hell!!!
understand what I am trying to get out?

Old 01-31-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
I do not want to say to much religion is a bad thing.
God knows I put him 1st. in my life.
I also teach my kids to do the same.
Now saying that I can also tell you there are crazys in this world that use the word religion as there exuse to judge other people and that I can not stand.

And a lot of those crazys have family in Ms.
It's the crazies that bother me that have no life apart from relgion before family, they make their children go to church and shove religion down other peoples throats. It is definately not healthy. I've never been exposed to that here and i know alot of good christians in my neck of the woods but fundamentalists do scare alot of people.

I'm a christian but there are boundaries with how you treat non believers, i always say its their choice.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:43 AM

I agree with you.
I am proud of my state .
I have sometimes felt that we as a state have used our religion as a way to hold us back.
NO one wants to say it but....
NO-sex ed. in schools goes back to our religion
so many teenagers haveing babies in our state can be took back to religion.
and god forbid if someone is pro-choice in our state.

I am not saying everyone is this away, I am not and most people in the state is not that away but there are still those peope that...............well are out there.

I have wanted to ask people before so God wanted it this way...
your daughter having a baby at the ripe age of 16.
dropping out of school at 17
getting on wellfare at the proud age of 18
all because Gods knows what is best!!
has anyone ever thought maybe God wants us to teach our kids to love our self,go to school, wait to have babies,put him 1st. in everything.
but I have always heard if that is what God wanted she would not be pregant

makes ones head hurt.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
I agree with you.
I am proud of my state .
I have sometimes felt that we as a state have used our religion as a way to hold us back.
NO one wants to say it but....
NO-sex ed. in schools goes back to our religion
so many teenagers haveing babies in our state can be took back to religion.
and god forbid if someone is pro-choice in our state.

I am not saying everyone is this away, I am not and most people in the state is not that away but there are still those peope that...............well are out there.

I have wanted to ask people before so God wanted it this way...
your daughter having a baby at the ripe age of 16.
dropping out of school at 17
getting on wellfare at the proud age of 18
all because Gods knows what is best!!
has anyone ever thought maybe God wants us to teach our kids to love our self,go to school, wait to have babies,put him 1st. in everything.
but I have always heard if that is what God wanted she would not be pregant

makes ones head hurt.
Although we have many good christians here i would say that my country isn't as bad to that extent, as far as fundies go.

Not saying MS is full of them but i did meet more there than i ever did living here.

We've moved so far forward and have alot to be proud of but you get a mix of every kind of person here which makes it diverse and a good place to live.

I like to consider myself a pretty easy going person but not everything is "black or white" there is middle ground too which alot of people in MS don't realise which kinda annoyed me when i was discussing various subjects like abortion or religion. The mind set is by far very "behind" compared to my homeland. My fiance felt more at ease here being from Okolona.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 AM

18,579 posts, read 40,256,727 times
My state (AL) ranks #2 on that list. I can tell you that most of those people that claim to be "Christian" are not in church every Sunday. I know plenty of people who are practically atheists like myself, but if you ask them they'll say "no, I'm a Christian" and get defensive.

Going to church in the south is also sometimes more of a social event than anything else. The women go to see who's wearing the most expensive clothes and talk about their kid's schooling, the men go and talk about golf or fishing. Some of the churchs in my area are more like country clubs than anything else.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My state (AL) ranks #2 on that list. I can tell you that most of those people that claim to be "Christian" are not in church every Sunday. I know plenty of people who are practically atheists like myself, but if you ask them they'll say "no, I'm a Christian" and get defensive.

Going to church in the south is also sometimes more of a social event than anything else. The women go to see who's wearing the most expensive clothes and talk about their kid's schooling, the men go and talk about golf or fishing. Some of the churchs in my area are more like country clubs than anything else.

LOL I couldn't be bothered with that, seems like a pretty sad life for those individuals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi