Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:01 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,251,719 times

Advertisements

The OP has had some difficulty is getting an answer. But then we know very little about why he may consider himself a liberal.
Sort of reminds me of the way you say "dog" and everyone has their own view of what you just said.

There are "liberals" who actually just suffer from oppositional/defiance reaction disorder. In other words, they're not liberal at all; they are simply against the grain on everything. Those kind of liberals don't fit in anywhere, and Hattiesburg is not magic.
Then there are people who, like my son-in-law, are actually liberals. They fit in everywhere and have lots of friends from both sides of the aisle. I'm not afraid to take my conservative views anywhere because I don't try to convert anyone, and I wouldn't think a liberal who occupies the opposite side of that coin would feel ostracized in Hattiesburg.

One thing he should understand about Southerners; they say they are conservative - and honestly believe it - but they vote liberal. My neighbor said once, "Now, I'm a conservative! And I believe the Guv'mint should provide unemployment for as long as it takes me to find a job."
But we didn't argue about it. It's only what he believes. Really believes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 44,773 times
I personally can't answer the OP's question, but I have some colleagues in Hattiesburg who once described the area as being full of conservative, right-wing rednecks. I had to protest this characterization by pointing out that I, although being conservative and leaning to the right-wing politically, am NOT a redneck!

I am not slow, feeble-minded or backward thinking. I don't own a shot gun. I don't believe women should be barefoot and pregnant. I am not a racist. In short, I do not fit into a stereotypical red neck profile. I do however support conservative, Judeo-Christian values.

As to the OP's concerns about where to live, why not choose a place based on typical criteria like climate, recreation and job opportunities, instead of worrying about whether the people agree with your "liberal-minded" nature. If you are that liberal minded, you ought to be able to get along with anyone and to simply agree to disagree at times. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all agreed on everything? Liberal or conservative, you must be able to "disagree without being disagreeable!"

Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,765,855 times
Well actually, and contrary to Jeff Foxworthy's misuse of the term, a Redneck is simply an unrefined person of Celtic descent. I know a redneck woman who graduated magna c&m laude from a particularly difficult degree program at Harvard, and had a three-page spread in a national society magazine, following her family's moving three steps up the religion ladder from Baptist. But she's still a Redneck. She's nice. She's smart. She was considered a great beauty. She finished growing up in a "museum correct Williamsburg-style mansion", designed by famous architects, and full of Licensed Williamsburg reproduction furnishings. She married a boy from an even richer family, who grew up in another legendary house in another legendary neighborhood (him, I'd call 'Rich White Trash', even though the money goes back four generations, and his family also moved up three steps from Baptist). But she's still a Redneck. It's not a derogatory term, necessarily. In my personal estimation, she's better than 99.99% of the people on this planet. But she's a Redneck.

Hattiesburg is chock-FULL o' Rednecks. Some are conservative. Some are liberal. I know one there with a private jet. I know Redneck doctors in Hattiesburg, who've "come out" and have Gay pool parties at magazine-published homes designed by famous people. I know of others who are socking-away assets against the day their wives find out what they do - while the wives are telling me about the upcoming divorce jackpots (they already know, in most cases, and are simply documenting...).

Hattiesburg's a fun town, full of people prone to colorful extremes. All kinds of people are having all kinds of affairs, and going off various sorts of 'deep ends'. And plenty of loud Holy Rollers are wildly religious there, while at the same time being wildly 'wicked' in other ways. I love the place, and would move there in a heartbeat, if not for the DH and kids, who cannot deal with the SWELTERING HEAT.

It's a place to move, to if you have plenty of money, a smokin'-hot body http://www.troyphillipsphotography.c...r_PaulT_sm.jpg, (the heat and humidity make skimpy clothing pretty-much a must) don't mind marital infidelity, don't mind spending big bucks for a car, and don't mind paying several thousand Dollars per window for draperies. There's a lot of showy people up in those pines... They may be country. They are probably Rednecks. But they probably are much more sophisticated than the people you knew back-home.

Oh... and lots of people, all over Mississippi, are Rednecks, but don't know it.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-25-2014 at 11:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi