Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 PM

5 posts, read 71,384 times

Advertisements

How many dogs are you allowed to have within city limits, per household in Gulfport, MS?

I've looked up the city ordinances but they fail to say how many dogs per household. All I have seen that tells any kind of number is:

Sec. 7-66. Conditional permits for domesticated animals (dogs and/or cats). (a) The chief of police shall have the authority to issue permits, renewable annually, to persons within the city to house and maintain domesticated animals (dogs and/or cats) in excess of six (6) at their residence.

http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...d=11979&sid=24

I personally have assumed that you may have 6 dogs if you are not breeding any of them. Though I do not own 6. I own 2 dogs at the moment but my mother-in-law and I have decided that we each want to adopt an animal from the shelter. That would put us at 4 dogs. I have been told by some that you are only allowed 3 but there is no number specifically mentioned in any thing I have researched or found at this point in time. It would be helpful if anyone could shine a light on this dilemma or point me to a site or somewhere I can actually find the number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 AM

21 posts, read 92,185 times
Laiinie -- I thought I was the only person who checks codes on dog limits when considering places to live. I have nine rescued dogs, mostly older, and would not dream of breaking up the family.

I interpret the code you cite as an overall municipal six-dog limit, but to be sure you might do what I have:

I've been looking in TN and called the animal control agency serving the town I'm considering because there was nothing in the muni code about limits. They told me what I suspect you might find is true in areas of MS too: no limit on dogs imposed by the town or county, but there may be regulations within subdivisions that affect your number. Also, all regs regarding safety, noise, sanitation, etc, must of course be followed.

Good for you and your mother-in-law for wanting to adopt from the local shelter. I know animals everywhere are in dire straits due to the economy. In areas that aren't affluent, finding good homes is even harder.

I was just taking a short tour of MS cities to see if I should add any to my list of possibilities. The state has its appeal. Good luck with your new home search.

Last edited by hollandv; 03-06-2009 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-15-2009, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 71,384 times
I'm glad someone else helps save an animals life. I applaud you! Well, I did find out you can own up to 6 dogs within my subdivision as long as your not breeding any. Also, safety, noise, and sanitation regulations must be followed. I also found out my neighbor adopted 2 dogs himself so he now owns 4 as well. We have a large fenced in yard so all the dogs we own have plenty of room to run around in. We adopted a west highland terrier mix, his name is Scrappy. He thinks he's the biggest dog in the world! He's so cute. Also, we adopted a lab/beagle mix. He's the sweetest most rambunctious dog. Plus, our dog Hunter who's a lab/pit bull/wolf mix loves the company. They all love to play. Which leads to poor old Mia who just wants some peace. She's such a sweet motherly figure. She takes care of all of them.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2017, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,519 times
Don't worry people, I love animals too. In UT, we can only have 2. But, it generally depends on what district you live in. I live in one that allows people to have 4 dogs/cats. But, if you are renting you can expect to pay $50 per month for every animal you want. An less you need it if you or someone has special needs. I wound take notes. I was a military brat when I was young. I lived in 13 different states- Florida, California, Idaho, Indiana, Ohio, Texas, colarandao, Arizona, Wyoming, Alaska, Nevada, Hawaii, and now Utah. I'm in my 30s, but from my knowledge. I can say only 5 allowed more than 3 of any animals. Those states were Florida, Idaho, Ohio, Wyoming, and Alaska. I don't know if the laws have changed, but I can say some may be the same.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:09 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
as many as you want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi