U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 PM

6 posts, read 20,618 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Im a certified teacher in florida and am working on becoming certified in Mississippi because i have seen that the budget cuts in florida are causing big problems with teachers. I am hoping that someone might have an idea of the state of the budgets with teachers in mississippi as Im hoping to move there in July and start teaching but of course I want to make sure that there is a good chance I can get a job there before I get too far ahead of myself!

I was wondering if anyone had any idea if Mississippi is still in a teacher shortage or if because of the recession, they will be laying teachers off also.

Kindest Regards
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 PM

32 posts, read 104,266 times
May I ask where you are in Florida, what grade level do you teach, why are you looking at Mississippi, and where in Ms are you considering?

Old 03-18-2009, 01:16 AM

Hi,
Im from Orlando; and honestly don't have a preference although not Hattisburg. I didn't like that very much at all. I do like Gulfport although I can imagine being so close to the coast will be more difficult. I am very open for a small town. I was born down in the South Pacific but went to College in Atlanta. I am hoping for a much slower relaxed lifestyle and a bit of a new start. My brother is in LA so I would like to be closer to him.
I am certified in Language Arts 6-12. I would prefer to teach High School because I also coach tennis and would love to coach a team, however in this economy I would not be picky.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,249,640 times
Do you prefer private or public? My wife teaches at a private school, and while the pay is lower, it is a lot less political and more enjoyable. If you like small towns, I would suggest Raymond. There are several schools near there, and it is not too far away from Jackson (shops, restaurants, etc).

Old 03-19-2009, 12:16 AM

Honestly, I have not taught in a private school but I would be open to it, especially if it meant less politics. Thank you so much for your help! I do greatly appreciate it!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:56 AM

Just as a side note, do you know if the Budget Cuts are going to cause problems getting teaching jobs this coming year?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:12 AM

314 posts, read 1,057,294 times
If you'd be willing to teach in one of the critical shortage areas, you could have an offer by midweek. There are also funds to help you move and assist with housing, and payoff student loans. I don't believe that budget cuts will affect the staffing levels in those districts once the federal funds promised are distributed.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,984 times
Special Ed is one area that there doesn't appear to be any cuts. But have heard cuts are going to be in all the schools in MS. SPED just falls mostly under Feds so money doesn't come from state. Check in FL bet same thing. Have you cked Mobile, AL/Pensacola area?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:55 PM

9 posts, read 34,203 times
I'm wondering about the same thing! I was actually just coming into this forum to post a thread about teaching in MS. My fiance just became certified 6-12 in Social Studies and we've noticed many postings in Mississippi, especially around Jackson. I just couldn't imagine anywhere hiring teachers! We're from Michigan so it's just been "lay-off's, lay-off's, lay-off's" for the past few years now. I couldn't imagine a worse climate for a new teacher to be searching for a job!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:55 PM

4,886 posts, read 6,856,578 times
Would Middle School Science be an area there might be openings. My husband is under consideration for a transfer Gulf Coast region. I'm currently teaching in Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi