Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 AM

3 posts, read 8,920 times

Advertisements

We are beginning our search for a place to retire (albeit a few years away) and Mississippi is on the list of possibilities. Currently know very little about the state, people, housing...well you get the picture. We will be traveling this summer and want to make Miss a potential destination. Any thoughts to towns we might find friendly to Yanks who are out-going? Not interested in living in a big city but proximity to one would be great. When I think of the south I think southern plantations, moss and friendly people. Any places I should steer clear of or make a definate point to check out? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:19 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Raymond seems to be a hot spot for those looking for a slower pace of life, quiet atmosphere, but close enough to Jackson for medical needs, shopping, dining out, etc. I think Claude Wilson moved to Raymond from California and likes it there; maybe she will chime in.

Last edited by jacksonian; 04-02-2009 at 08:43 AM..

Old 04-02-2009, 08:26 AM

314 posts, read 1,104,825 times
Oxford seems to be becoming a desirable retirement destination.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 AM

138 posts, read 511,912 times
Make sure to see the MS Coast, it is one of the best spots in MS. Also, contact the MS Tourism Commission, they have information about towns in MS that are "Certified Retirement Communities". These towns must meet certain requirements, set up by the state, to be considered a certified retirement community. Theres alot of great communities in MS, so make sure to check out several!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
You might check Lucedale--near Mobile. Also Southern Living magazine might be helpful.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 PM

106 posts, read 381,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsrock View Post
We are beginning our search for a place to retire (albeit a few years away) and Mississippi is on the list of possibilities. Currently know very little about the state, people, housing...well you get the picture. We will be traveling this summer and want to make Miss a potential destination. Any thoughts to towns we might find friendly to Yanks who are out-going? Not interested in living in a big city but proximity to one would be great. When I think of the south I think southern plantations, moss and friendly people. Any places I should steer clear of or make a definate point to check out? Thanks.
What draws you to retire in Mississippi? The only place that I would retire to in MS, is the Gulf Coast. Gulfport is a fairly large city (70,000 people) other than that its one of the most laid back areas of the state. Its also very diverse and there are a good many transplants that live there. Here is a link that might be of some use.
Retirement Living in South Mississippi (http://www.newcomersandvisitorsguide.com/retire.html - broken link)

Old 04-02-2009, 03:14 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,407 times
Twinsrock Mississippi is VERY diverse. You can find almost anything here or at least be close to it. Help us out.
Tell us what you like or hate. Do you want to be close to water (Beach or Lake). Do you want to hunt. do you want 20 acres or 80x100 or a condo.
Give us some details and we will tell you if you can find it here.
I moved here from New York and I wanted acreage with a semi modern house close to the metro cities.
I ended up in Raymond. It works for me but it might not work for you. So let us know.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 8,920 times
Thanks for the input...keep it coming. We do not hunt (unless it's for good restaurants), I like to garden (an occasional geranium and a potted planter here and there) but enjoy being outdoors. A new or relatively new housing area (or perhaps condo) would be great. We love the water but it is not an absolute must have...accessibilty would work. Mississippi is but one area we are considering but we definately want to get away from cold icy winters.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:44 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsrock View Post
Thanks for the input...keep it coming. We do not hunt (unless it's for good restaurants), I like to garden (an occasional geranium and a potted planter here and there) but enjoy being outdoors. A new or relatively new housing area (or perhaps condo) would be great. We love the water but it is not an absolute must have...accessibilty would work. Mississippi is but one area we are considering but we definately want to get away from cold icy winters.
When I retired I looked at quite a few states. I was mainly looking for a state that wouldn't tax my NY pension.
I think there are about 18 states that have limited or no taxes on retirement income. I was very interested in Texas and Florida.
I decided on Mississippi because property taxes were less than a third of what they would be in TX and FL. MS doesn't tax retirement income and has low property taxes.
Also the house I bought would have been twice the price in FL or TX and 3 times as much back in NY. You can get a lot of house for your money here.
Florida is a big option now. My best friend bought a short sale house. Two years ago it was sold for 550k he paid 300k for it.
Thanks to the boon and then bust they are giving away houses down there.
I would come down and take a look at the different areas of MS if you are interested. Try North, central and the coast.
They are very different and some of us love one part and would not live in another.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:17 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Hattiesburg has some projects in the planning stage that are the new urbanism concept. The multi-use self-contained walkable community. One is Legacy. Legacy Town Square
Also I recently walked through some new homes at Shadow Ridge Golf Course that are not on the course itself but at the entrance area. They are I guess garden homes. Three bedrooms two baths and have upgrades like granite and hardwood. Very appealing for a couple . Patio and limited lawn area for maintenance but at the same time the whole expanse of the golf club gives wonderful views and greenery and water features. They were about $250,000 if I recall correctly. Call Shadow Ridge clubhouse to get the realtor's name.
Shadow Ridge Golf Club (http://www.shadowridgegolf.com/home/index.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi