Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,685 times

Advertisements

"This is It". "You just left It". Is what two signs said entering from north and south in the 60's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 05:30 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
This town sounds kind of like "Mike, MO." All it was was a convenience store and a couple of houses.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This town sounds kind of like "Mike, MO." All it was was a convenience store and a couple of houses.
Or "Bug Tussle", AL, which was really just a restaurant.

It was a good, inexpensive restaurant, too, until the sheriff showed up and arrested everyone for stealing cattle from the farm behind the restaurant.
We all wondered why the prices were so low, and the steaks so fresh.......
Then there was a fire. But it wasn't suspicious......

Gadsden Times - Google News Archive Search

Old 07-29-2015, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,986 times
All of my relatives live in "It's", MS! I was surprised that anyone other than the townfolk new about it.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Roper View Post
I remember It, Mississippi, as I lived just outside of It, from 1946-48. "It" was simply the name of the unincorporated community that was formed by the intersection of Highway 51 and what is now Martinsville Road. It was 7 miles south of Hazlehurst and just north of Wesson. There was a sign at the intersection that proclaimed "This is It", followed by a sign that stated "You have just missed It". The population was a single digit number.

Over the years, there have been a succession of small stores that were located at the intersection; one such locally owned store was called the It Swap Shop.

My grandfather, C A Roper of Hazlehurst, owned a farm south of It, which today is bi-sected by Interstate 55 South. You may have noticed an old barn just east of I-55 that has a rainbow painted on it. That barn is located on the former Roper farm property, though the rainbow was added in the '70's or '80's.

I have not been able to locate much public record about It, though I havent done an exhaustive search. I enjoy telling people that I meet that "I am from It", but often they assume that I am making this up. Therefore, I would like to find some decent documentation to prove my point on such occasions.

I would truly enjoy revisiting It again some day. Someone on this thread mentioned that there may be an antiques store at the intersection today. How would you suggest that we determine the name of the store or its phone/email/owners?

Thanks.

"IT" is still there and I have family members (in the double-digits) that live there.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:55 AM

Default Its, MS (continuation)

My family's surname is "Martin" and "Martinsville" is named after my family who lived (and still live) there. There is only one descendant of the "African-American Martins" left, who currently lives in Its. She is 90 years old. The last known inhabitant of the building at the intersection of Hwy 51 (exiting at Martinsville from I-55) was pool hall / recreation center, which did not last long. It is now vacant again.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,363 times
My mom worked in one of two stores in It. We lived close to the store. There were two stores...one owned by the Newman’s in the 80’s and the other by the Young’s.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,363 times
Also my mom, Rachel bland was the employee shot during an armed robbery therenin 1996. At that time Ms Grace Young, the owner was killed. I have not revisited that store since. It is vacant as far as I know now.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 AM

30 posts, read 11,011 times
I used to pass through It quite a bit in the 60's. If I remember correctly there was a tree east of Hwy 51 that had clear and colored bottles on it. The rumor then was the tree was in the yard of a black preacher who put those bottles on the tree to represent all the people who were ever members of his church. The clear represented those still living and the colored those no longer living. Don't know if it's true, but it sure sounded good then.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 368 times
I used to live in It, in a house that was located behind the convenience store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi