Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 08:05 AM

522 posts, read 1,855,370 times

Advertisements

My job is reolcating me to Memphis, Tn. My wife and I have been looking for houses in the suburbs of Memphis; however, we noticed that Southaven and Olive branch are about the same distance away than some of the houses we were lookin at in TN.

I'm not just lookin for a nice house but I'm also wondering about the educational system, friendliness of people, diversity, medical facilities (hospitals), crime, etc.

We're a young couple (25) with a 2y/o daughter with another one on the way. So I'd like to see if this area of MS is family friendly with good doctors and family friendly things to do (Malls, parks, etc).

It's a toss up between Memphis Suburbs and southaven/olive branch area, I'm just trying to weigh out my options, Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 04:31 PM

10 posts, read 15,159 times
Southaven/Olive Branch/Horn Lake area isn't really like most of Mississippi. The towns all pretty much run together. De Soto county is the second most populous county in the state. The schools there are pretty good, and it has all the modern conveniences there. And you're really just a couple of miles from Memphis. One thing you may want to consider is that MS has a state income tax, whereas TN does not. I have not spent a lot of time in that area, so I can't say whether the difference in housing prices and cost of living in general will make up for that. It's really a pretty good area if you like that sort of thing. Go five miles south of the border and you're already in a rural area.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
Try City of Southaven for details like shopping, medical facilities and schools. The Southaven Magazine is a great resource for new or prospective residents.

I have no kids but I am constantly seeing the newspaper articles about kids getting scholarships, etc. I think they district is top in the state or at least very close to the top.

Southaven does get some crime trickling down from Memphis. Our mayor and police chief are doing everything they can to keep it in check. Memphis PD doesn't have enough qualified applicants to fill all of the open positions. Southaven PD had 50+ applicants for their last 3 open positions.

Yes, MS does have an income tax. In the past, realtors would say that the cost of living compared to Memphis more than makes up for this. In a study done my the U of Memphis last year, they showed this to be false. So it is slightly more expensive to live here but I am more than happy to pay for that peace of mind.

I'm more than happy to answer any more Southaven questions here or via Direct Message.

-Robert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi