Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 PM

5 posts, read 11,368 times

Advertisements

Hi, we just got word that we will be relocating to the Columbus AFB area. We would like to find a small to medium farm within a moderate commute to the base. Hopefully no more than 30 miles or so.
We currently have almost 10 acres in North Texas. We have 3 horses, 6 goats, & a donkey. We really don't want to part with them.
We need at least 5 acres but would like more. We need 4 bedrooms. And 2 bathrooms would be nice. It doesn't have to be fancy but serviceable. A barn or shed would be a great asset.
Any suggestions for areas to look in would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,808 times
Along with the forum MSMEE, I would also try a few RE companys in that area. If they find a farm for you its not like you have to pay them.
Also every big name RE company has a website with MLS listings these days usually with search functions (BR,BA, Acres, ect).
That's how I found my 20 acre spread.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 AM

5 posts, read 11,368 times
Thanks for your reply. We have already contacted a realator. What we really need is info on the area, like which towns are more rural & things like that. Need to know about terrain, water,etc. Also school districts, we have one going into 6th grade & two going into 11th grade.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmeee View Post
Thanks for your reply. We have already contacted a realator. What we really need is info on the area, like which towns are more rural & things like that. Need to know about terrain, water,etc. Also school districts, we have one going into 6th grade & two going into 11th grade.
There should be plenty of rural properties available in the Caledonia and New Hope areas of Lowndes County. Caledonia is closer to the base but both areas are nice and have the best schools in the county. There is some nice property in Alabama and property taxes are lower there, but I don't think the schools would be all that great.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 10,956 times
Default check out Hamilton, MS

Hamilton, MS is in Monroe county and is very, very rural. I lived there when I first got married for a few years & my in-laws have lots of land there. They have several neighbors with horses, cows, etc. & farm animals are all over Hamilton, so having all your animals should not be a problem. Land compared to other places is quite inexpensive. Should be a nice price break from where you live now. You should be able to find 5 acres there. A farm already there for sale (not that much comes up for sale often) might be hard to find, but you could maybe find a house with lots of acreage & then build a barn? Most people have their land fenced already as "most" everyone has huge amt.'s of land as it is so inexpensive. Very few "real" neighborhoods, most everyone lives on their own little plot of land. As far as your other questions, terrain is very flat --- water is "city" water now in most, if not all of hamilton. Only one water department, so you could make a call and find out. When we lived there, there were 2 city water lines and one was much better than the other. Have no idea if that is still true or not. They have one school, Hamilton which serves elementary-high school on one campus. Very caring teachers & community but not sure how it rates as far as quality of education. No private school in the area, but Columbus, MS (where AFB is) and West Point, MS (30 min) have excellent private schools if that was a desire. One grocery, one dollar general, one post office, one small library. Otherwise, you drive to Columbus for everything like Walmart, etc.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,069 times
Red face Looking for a farm

Hi just joined the website and saw that you were looking for a small farm close to base. I am a realtor but I know of a property that is not on the market that has 7 acres a 4 bedroom 3 bath home that is very nice. let me know who you are using as a realtor and I can tell them where it is. It is in Caldonia school district.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,951 times
I live off of 82 and own 16 partially fenced acres and a pond. Lowndes county is a nice place to live. I think, however, since my spouse was transferred, I will have to be moving soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi