U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 05:15 AM

81 posts, read 277,805 times

Advertisements

I'm very nieve about alot of things and how this country works. i have been searching and reading alot of different posts from different states like Oregon, Mississippi, Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana ETC. Many different States. And I keep running into many different people in the same situation. and I'm hoping to get alot of reply's and opinions that explain what is going on.

One thing i keep hearing about is the lack of good education that our children recieve due to high student to teacher ratio. more students than teachers. and in a michigan or maybe it was mass. post someone said that ppl should stop reproducing or quit having kids because there aren't enough teachers. yet in all these states i listed above and I am sure i left some out. Licensed degreed teachers are unemployed desprite to find a job and have been forced to either relocate or go back to school and get nursing degree b/c no one can seem to find a job teaching. How is this possible if every state is complaining they don't have enough teachers! yet in every state people are taking about how they can't find a job as a teacher even with years of experiance! am i missing something here! how is it we need teachers just as much now if any because our generation is over producing and the government and other people are looking into ways for population control but everyone is complaining there aren't enough teachers and in every state i'm hearing the same thing I'm a lic teacher Blaa blaa blaa and i can't get a job my mother being one of them that has a bachelors degree in elemantary education has been to three diff states and no one will hire her even though she took classes to be qualified and her lic recognized in each of those states! something is seriously wrong here! they are just as important as a doctor or nurse and should have no trouble getting jobs if AMERICA is so overpopulated! some one please explain to me what I,am missing or not getting. this country which I love dearly is so backwards that it actually hurts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,628,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missylyn View Post
I'm very nieve about alot of things and how this country works. i have been searching and reading alot of different posts from different states like Oregon, Mississippi, Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana ETC. Many different States. And I keep running into many different people in the same situation. and I'm hoping to get alot of reply's and opinions that explain what is going on.

One thing i keep hearing about is the lack of good education that our children recieve due to high student to teacher ratio. more students than teachers. and in a michigan or maybe it was mass. post someone said that ppl should stop reproducing or quit having kids because there aren't enough teachers. yet in all these states i listed above and I am sure i left some out. Licensed degreed teachers are unemployed desprite to find a job and have been forced to either relocate or go back to school and get nursing degree b/c no one can seem to find a job teaching. How is this possible if every state is complaining they don't have enough teachers! yet in every state people are taking about how they can't find a job as a teacher even with years of experiance! am i missing something here! how is it we need teachers just as much now if any because our generation is over producing and the government and other people are looking into ways for population control but everyone is complaining there aren't enough teachers and in every state i'm hearing the same thing I'm a lic teacher Blaa blaa blaa and i can't get a job my mother being one of them that has a bachelors degree in elemantary education has been to three diff states and no one will hire her even though she took classes to be qualified and her lic recognized in each of those states! something is seriously wrong here! they are just as important as a doctor or nurse and should have no trouble getting jobs if AMERICA is so overpopulated! some one please explain to me what I,am missing or not getting. this country which I love dearly is so backwards that it actually hurts.
A majority of people should quit having children because they dont have the skills, patience, or financial wherewithal to bring a child anywhere near their full potential.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 AM

783 posts, read 2,144,130 times
Good lord... if the US is "overpopulated" then what is Japan? Taiwan? INDIA? Kids are mad expensive but we have gov't help for kids - what it takes is dedication from parents. If we have not enough teachers then it sounds to me like that is a problem with the CITIZENRY not appropriating enough money to pay them or building the proper management channels to keep them accountable.

I have four nieces and nephews in school here and it amazes me what they are NOT being taught. The youngest is in 8th grade and only the eldest (a senior in the fall) has been taught the basics of evolution. None of them seem to have a clue how our government works (so much for creating an informed voter base) and two of them simply refuse to read. Their parents are very involved (as am I) and yet they managed to eek on by with some very poor language skills. The school has no debate club or any other academic club I can se aside from some merit club that does not admit based on merit alone (ie it's just another clique that stresses scholastic performance only as an aside).

What I have heard here in MS is not that there are no teachers, but there is no money. This is because the Bushies sent one of their favored lobbyists down here with a wheelbarrow full of cash with the task of getting elected governor and, whaddyaknow, it worked. So now we have a "Hopeful" president but the state is still stuck with a cheapskate governor who seems to think his buddy is still king and "no child left behind" actually worked. It just doesn't take that many teachers to teach children a bunch of canned answers so they can perform well on standardized tests that rank the SCHOOLS rather than the students ability to LEARN and to THINK for themselves.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:25 PM

314 posts, read 1,058,172 times
Barbour has amazingly little direct effect on Mississippi education. The ones who do most of the whining are the ones who do the least and gain the most as Education's fortunes wane- the bloated administrative staff in the offices that wouldn't know a child's name. That's where the deadwood is- and MS has more than our share of unnecessary school districts that could be consolidated.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 PM

103 posts, read 327,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
It just doesn't take that many teachers to teach children a bunch of canned answers so they can perform well on standardized tests that rank the SCHOOLS rather than the students ability to LEARN and to THINK for themselves.

I'm from Australia, and I'm headed to the US in a few months, by then I'll be a qualified teacher hoping to get work somewhere.

Here in OZ, we have a real focus on student centred learning. By that, I mean aiding and guiding the kids in their learning habits, but teaching them to seek information themselves. We give them the skills and information they need to get them going, then assist them along the way. Test scores are important in senior years, and a lot of the student centred learning approaches dwindle away by the, but certainly from 6-10, this approach is favored here. It seems to work well. More students are interested in their work as they have some choice and autonomy over what they're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi