Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 7,550 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about this neighborhood, Baywood Cove? Is this a safe area? Young family looking at homes in Hattiesburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:00 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
This is a gated community--upscale--safe and very appealing. Not sure which school district it is in. It is closer in to town and near medical, shopping, and the university as opposed to the many communities in the western fringes and Oak Grove area which are 15 to 30 minutes out. Almost next door is 40th Place another gated area.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,550 times
Thanks for replying. Since Baywood Cove would be considered upscale, how might this neighborhood be compared with Canebrake? Being that Baywood Cove is closer to town, might we expect it to be more culturally and ethnically diverse?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Canebrake is much further out along Hwy 98 and has a golf course and lake, It has a variety of home types, including patio homes. Baywood has, as far as I know, the usual single-family type. Canebrake is one of the more prestigious areas in the city. It isn't for everyone.

If you are looking for diversity, the area around the university, neighborhoods in the University Heights section between 40th and Hwy 49 and Hardy and Hwy 11, generally speaking, offers that. (I would stay west of Hwy. 49) I live in that area (about a mile from Baywood Cove) and on my street we have Iranian, Arabic, Indian, black, and white families--professional and blue-collar--older and younger. It is in flux and whether it will be a gentrified area or slowly become more homogeneously blue-collar, I don't know.

The historical district near downtown is also something to check--offering restored homes and walkability. An exception to the west of 49 caveat.
Historic Hattiesburg Downtown Association

Innswood and Kirkwood are two neighborhoods off of Lincoln Road that are in town and have nice homes. There is a new area off 34th avenue that seems very upscale, but I know nothing about it.

Generally speaking, you are correct in assuming that more diversity will be found in town. The city has leash laws and other niceties (at least I like it)
while the Oak Grove area has less or little zoning, doesn't provide an animal shelter, and has a much more limited library facility. Hattiesburg proper has a wonderful library.

That being said there are many who will tell you you must settle in Oak Grove because the school system is better. Actually, the school system has more educated and professional families thus it performs better while the city schools have a very large population on free lunch programs. This economic difference, as so many studies suggest, affects the academic performance levels of students.

If my child were in school now, I would want him to go to a higher performing school with peers who have the highest aspirations and goals. It is sad but the shift of school-age families with means and education to the outskirts or private schools has significantly changed the demographics of the city schools. For me, I prefer the diversity of a city school but I think a higher percentage of poor performing students has to affect the overall academic quality within any individual classroom, the quality of teachers, and the ability of the school to offer enrichment.

If schools are not an issue you have many choices, rural, suburban, gated, and in-town neighborhoods.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:58 PM

8 posts, read 38,650 times
There are more gated communities in the Hattiesburg area than you can throw sticks at. I would suggest maybe coming and spending a couple of days here just to get acquainted with the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi