Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 01:07 AM

96 posts, read 243,611 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I have a question about something really interesting I saw in Mississippi during my travels. Out on the highway, I saw a few vehicles with the words "Constable" on the side, well 2 of them way different parts of the state to be exact. I am very curious what a constable is and if it is like a sheriff, or if they are something completely different. Thanks in advance for the answers, I am most curious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 02:40 PM

276 posts, read 1,142,249 times
Constable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

google is your friend!!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:41 PM

276 posts, read 1,142,249 times
Or even:

Constable Definition | Definition of Constable at Dictionary.com

Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 AM

388 posts, read 855,977 times
Mississippi is still stuck in the past! Like the old western days! Well atleast where I live! The constable is like the Sherrif in big cities overseeing all of the deputies. But here all of the deputies are sherrifs. Hope I spelled that right! Please correct me if I'm wrong. So he oversees the sherrifs. Hmff, go figure.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:58 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
The constable is like the Sherrif in big cities overseeing all of the deputies. But here all of the deputies are sherrifs. Hope I spelled that right! Please correct me if I'm wrong. So he oversees the sherrifs. Hmff, go figure.
There is only one sheriff per county, and the sheriff has deputies under him. Constables are more of a general official that conduct daily legal work dealing with service of process.

Quote:
Mississippi is still stuck in the past! Like the old western days!
There you go again with the broad generalizations... You sure know a lot about a place you have only been for less than a year.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
Quote:
Mississippi is still stuck in the past! Like the old western days! Well atleast where I live! The constable is like the Sherrif in big cities overseeing all of the deputies. But here all of the deputies are sherrifs. Hope I spelled that right! Please correct me if I'm wrong. So he oversees the sherrifs. Hmff, go figure.
Moderator cut: not necessary

In Mississippi, constables are law enforcement officers elected from single-member districts in each county. Mississippi law provides for one constable per Justice Court district in the county, from a minimum of two such districts in counties with fewer than 35,001 people, to a maximum of five districts in counties with more than 150,000 people.

By law, constables keep and preserve the peace within the county; advise justice court judges or other officers of all riots, routs, unlawful assemblies, and violations of the penal laws; execute and return all processes directed to them by any county, chancery or circuit court (not just the Justice Courts); and attend the justices' courts of their districts.

According to Mississippi code Title 19 Chapter 25 Section 11, a Constable is the only county official with the authority to arrest the Sheriff of said county by bench warrant of the Circuit or Chancery court absent authority of the State Attorney General. However, the same code section permits marshals or police officers of municipalities within the county to effect an arrest of the Sheriff under warrant, too.

Mississippi code Title 19 Chapter 19 defines the roles, powers, and duties of constables.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-21-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 01:25 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,564 times
Quote:
Let me clarify something for you.. All of the the so called deputies here once again are called sherrifs. You need to come down here and drive around a little bit!
Just because the car has "Sheriff's Department" on the side of it does not mean that each car has a Sheriff in it...

Gary Welford is the Sheriff of George County, the one and only Sheriff of George County.

(although you may be referring to something completely different since you were referring to "sherrifs")

Old 07-20-2009, 01:41 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Just because the car has "Sheriff's Department" on the side of it does not mean that each car has a Sheriff in it...

Gary Welford is the Sheriff of George County, the one and only Sheriff of George County.

(although you may be referring to something completely different since you were referring to "sherrifs")
This guy knows better, jacksonian. He is just being a troll.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 PM

356 posts, read 1,345,524 times
My son in law is an investigator for the sheriff's department. His car has the sheriff's name on it, but nobody in the county thinks he's the sheriff. Mostly the constable delivers legal papers.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:38 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,604 times
That's true and constables also come to your home when you go legal and get someone evicted from their home or apartment. They are also present in Justice court (Hinds County I know for sure) when judgments are being ordered again tenants in apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi