U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:25 PM

38 posts, read 224,033 times

Advertisements

okay, so after all my research now I'm starting to hear the bad things about olive branch and we'd pretty much settled on it. My fiancee will be working near Germantown when they get the new building open, right now it's in downtown memphis I guess. He doesn't want to have more than a half hour commute. Are there GOOD areas of Olive Branch still or should I scrap it altogether? if there are good areas, where are they?

help! lol

Jamie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 01:40 AM

79 posts, read 409,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriecke
okay, so after all my research now I'm starting to hear the bad things about olive branch and we'd pretty much settled on it. My fiancee will be working near Germantown when they get the new building open, right now it's in downtown memphis I guess. He doesn't want to have more than a half hour commute. Are there GOOD areas of Olive Branch still or should I scrap it altogether? if there are good areas, where are they?

help! lol

Jamie
Honestly, if your husband's business is going to be in Germantown, I would just live in either Germantown or Collierville. Those two towns are very stable, neither are near high crime areas (like Olive Branch) and they both have good schools (Shelby County Schools). Plus, Memphis can't touch either one. Yes, your property taxes would be higher in Shelby County, but that is offset by Mississippi's income tax and high car tag fees. Plus, with the high cost of gas, why not try to live near work and save the $$$$ in that way?

Old 07-22-2006, 09:50 AM

I can't afford a house there. There was nothing decent under 150K. That's my maximum, and there are plenty of them in Olive Branch.

Unless someone can find me a decent 3+ bedroom with a nice fenced in yard for under 150K, I'm SOL. LOL

Thanks for the advice though. I'm still thinking on it.

Jamie

Old 07-22-2006, 11:10 PM

79 posts, read 409,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriecke
I can't afford a house there. There was nothing decent under 150K. That's my maximum, and there are plenty of them in Olive Branch.

Unless someone can find me a decent 3+ bedroom with a nice fenced in yard for under 150K, I'm SOL. LOL

Thanks for the advice though. I'm still thinking on it.

Jamie
I understand that. Have you looked into Arlington, TN? It is also located in Shelby County, but it will be an easy drive to Germantown once 385 (soon to be renamed I-269) is completed in eastern Shelby County. Arlington is also an incorporated city that has good schools, is free from Memphis and its problems, has decent property tax levels, homes in the $150-$250k range and is growing quickly. Check it out.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:28 AM

I think we're going to stick with Olive Branch, I'm heeding any advice though, South of Goodman Road is where I want to be right? Also, We need an apartment for our initial move, we can't buy a house till our house here sells. Anyone know anything about Plantation Apartments? I know this is north of Goodman Rd, I think I could tolerate a not so great area for a month or two if I HAVE to. Any apartments in a safer area of Olive Branch. Also, I'm trying to make sure that I'm in an apartment in the same area I'll be buying my house so my son won't have to switch schools twice.

Any advice?

Old 07-29-2006, 08:12 AM

Thanks for all the info! We'll be down in a couple of weeks to look around to make sure that's where we want to be, we're moving a week after our visit.

As far as rent goes, his company is paying for it for three months, hopefully we'll be in a house before that time is up!

Thanks for the info Susan, sorry I just saw your message, the company hooked us up with a realtor already and I've got a big list.

You're doing a for sale by owner? feel free to pm me with the info. Trying to get my house ready for sale right now, it goes on the market in two days and it's a disaster area........lmao

Jamie

Old 08-02-2006, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 22,234 times
We have lived in Olive Branch since 1989, so we have watched it grow from 5,000 to about 30,000+ now. I particularly like Olive Branch vs. Southaven overall, but there are good areas all over DeSoto County with the exeption of Horn Lake or Walls (this is a personal option - sorry).
As far as schools go, I have one child at Olive Branch High School and my younger child is at SBEC (Southern Baptist Educational Center). SBEC is a smaller christian school with about 60-75 kids per grade as opposed to OBHS where my son's grade has 560 kids...big difference! Now, there are two new high schools opening in the fall to relieve the overcrowding at Olive Branch, so you now have OBHS, DeSoto Central, Lewisburg and Center Hill.
I think all the Olive Branch area schools get high marks, so I don't think you need to worry about that. Lots of parent participation here and that makes a difference also.
As far a which school you'll go to strickly depends on where you buy your home. You may want to come and look at the area and each school and then have a realtor help you with locating a home in the area you are most comfortable. Olive Branch is brimming with nice new subdivisions all over, so it's will just be something you'll have to have the right feeling about. You are welcome to ask my opinion on any subdivisions. My husband is in the building business, so he knows the area well. It just depends on what price range and I can make some suggestions for you. [moderator CUT]
S. Wheeler
Olive Branch

I didn't think to make a suggestion on renting. I haven't heard good things about either Olive Branch apartment complexes and there are really only 2. My husband and I rented over in Southaven for a while between homes. If you aren't used to apartment living, it was terrible and noisey!
Have you thought about renting a small home as opposed to an apartment in Olive Branch. I know there are usually several in the OBHS area. They generally will run about 1,000 per month and you'll get 3BR/2BA 1200sf or so, but some are monthly, so you wouldn't have to worry about getting out of a lease when you are ready for your permanent move. It's not much more than you'll pay for an apartment, but it will be more peaceful maybe...
If you want, I can call the leasing company we used and see if they have any coming up for rent soon in the area.

Sandy Wheeler

Last edited by Marka; 08-03-2006 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 PM

285 posts, read 1,054,286 times
I attended a Desoto County Board of Education Meeting in February. The culture in this area is very backward and non progressive, as evidenced by the "educated sector" and their school policies.
The district has been incapable of forming a committee to study a very serious problem in the school district, even though it has promised to do so since February. The DC Tribune has an awesome opinion piece about this topic.
Beware, if you are looking for great schools in a progressive growing area, you will not get great, and you will not get progressive.
Those of you seeking a relocation to this area should research all aspects of the school culture. Feel free to email or PM me for more specifics, or google articles about this school district.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 22,234 times
Default NC Post Person

Not being rude, but what is your connection to DeSoto County Schools? Your location is in North Carolina...
I don't think she's moving there, so I can't see the benefit of your post? What option does she have that your are suggesting?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:37 AM

285 posts, read 1,054,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twreb
Not being rude, but what is your connection to DeSoto County Schools? Your location is in North Carolina...
I don't think she's moving there, so I can't see the benefit of your post? What option does she have that your are suggesting?
I am on the Board of Directors for a national organization called Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education. It is a volunteer position. I flew to Mississippi to advocate for the rights of children whose rights were violated by a teacher in this school district, and am patiently awaiting the school board to take the appropriate action. The situation involved child abuse, and the actions on the part of the teacher would result in a parent being charged with child abuse in the state of Mississippi, had a parent done the same thing. The department of human services has no jurisdiction over school employees, they count on the school districts to hold high standards. The Desoto County Board of Education has turned a blind eye towards child abuse on this situation, and I am trying to help.
My connection to this system is one of pure advocacy and trying to hold a school system accountable for wrongdoing. Those who live in Desoto County or who are considering a move here do have a right to know factual data.
I will be happy to email articles to anyone who asks for them. The DC Tribune, Commercial Appeal, and the ABC News in Memphis, TN has done a great job of covering this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi