U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 05:44 AM

285 posts, read 1,054,286 times

Advertisements

Twreb,
You could also call Jamie Mercer to get more information about what I have written about. I just looked online for a follow up article in the DC Tribune, and ironically, saw an article about tennis where you were quoted. Small world. Jamie has written articles about this school system. Parents should be concerned.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 06:46 AM

38 posts, read 224,033 times
Thanks for all in information. We'll be down in a week to look for a home, we're moving in 2 weeks. We're hoping to be able to sign a contract and pay rent to the owner until closing, if not we'll be in an apartment or an extended stay hotel in memphis :| yipes.

twreb, I'd love any info on subdivisions you can reccommend. We have a realtor and we're meeting him next thursday in olive branch.

Thanks again,

Jamie

Old 08-03-2006, 09:00 PM

4 posts, read 22,234 times
Default Subdivisions

Lee's Crossing is one I would recommend checking out. It's a pretty large subdivision and your realtor will know all about it. 150K would be the lower end in there and might be pushing it, but it's nice with trees in many areas and lots of children I think. It would be a good investment if you can find a deal in there.
You might also have your realtor check on any foreclosed properties in the area that might afford you a little more house for your budget. Most need a little TLC, but mostly cosmetic items that you could do yourself.
I live off of Sandidge near Olive Branch High School (it's also close to the elementary and middle school). This is still a pretty good area on the south side of Sandidge (Southridge Estates and Blocker). Most of the homes in this area are $135K - $165K range. Lots of kids near the school and lots of kids that walk to the middle or high school. If it's convienence, then this is a good area to look. If you want a more quiet peaceful setting, Lee's Crossing or see if you realtor can suggest comparable.
There are several new subdivisions out Highway 305 that would put you in the new Lewisburg school district (which I have heard people say they like). Not sure about the price ranges.
If I think of a few specific ones, I'll reply.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:52 PM

78 posts, read 376,137 times
Default Desoto Schools

I have lived in Hernando since 1973 & had 3 daughters graduate from Hernando High. All three got a good education & have jobs that vary from $45K to $83K

Granted, there needs to be a change on the school board since several think they are there for life, but overall the school system is good

Old 08-23-2006, 07:58 PM

61 posts, read 265,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTiger View Post
Jamie-

Just be careful where you live in Olive Branch. There is a great deal of crime spillover from Whitehaven, Parkway Village and Hickory Hill in Memphis and it is affecting things in Horn Lake, Southaven and Olive Branch. Just recently two Olive Branch cops were shot and nearly killed by a dirtbag from Memphis. There has been an increase in property crimes out there. You may want to think about Hernando.
It is rate that Olive Branch, or DeSoto get crime, but it is true, it has happned. But the case with the two cops was the first time ever in O.B. history to be shot at while in duty. I do like Hernando myself. By the way, JMSTiger, I appologize for dissing Memphis so much, when I dont' live there, but I just wish the murders would stop. It's like every day and it's hard especially since I am a teacher in Memphis. Memphis does have good spots, and bad spots, but every place is like that, even here in DeSoto County.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 5,248 times
You flew in here. That in it’s self says that you only know what you saw during your brief stay and a couple (at best) meetings. I realize, as you have stated several times, that there are articles supporting your claims but you have definitely generalized the whole county based on one incident. I moved here to get away from Shelby County schools because I was having one problem after the other. I have three children that have all excelled academically, emotionally, and spiritually since moving here. I volunteer and substitute in the Olive Branch schools so that I can be well informed about my children’s schools. While I, unlike you, can not speak for the whole county, I can tell you Olive Branch schools are wonderful. I have 4 years with children being in over 20 teachers classes experience to be able to say that. I didn’t have to fly in to form that opinion.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,249 times
Default Help with your home search

go to removed and search all the active listing in the north MS MLS. I also have links to area information and schools.

Last edited by Marka; 09-15-2006 at 09:50 AM..

Old 09-20-2006, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,236 times
Default Desoto County Schools

To Pegmom4-

I have 2 children in the Desoto County Schools-Could you please let me know the risks that I am taking with them being there?

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2006, 05:46 AM

24 posts, read 80,156 times
Talking Moving To Olive Branch

My husband and I are moving from Florida to Olive Branch. Taxes are getting outrageous here and he is ready to retire. Does anyone know anything about the SOuthridge Estates Subdivision or have any other recommendation for a place under $175,000?...Also, I am a paralegal and will continue to work. Would it be easier to work (travelwise) in downtown Memphis or to the east (like in Germantown)...I doubt I will find a job in Olive Branch. Thanks. onwillowbay

Old 11-02-2006, 11:50 AM

15,022 posts, read 22,211,220 times
If you live in Olive Branch, unless it is to the extreme west part of Olive Branch or in SoutHaven, I say it will be closer to work in Germantown. If you live in Southhaven (just east of Olive Branch) on the other hand it will be real easy to jump on I-55 and head into downtown.

Either way, traffic in Memphis and the suburbs is not THAT bad compared to most metropolitan areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi